What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

He's Samuel L. Jackson.  Complete with his purple things.  :D

In the scene where they are interrogating Obi-wan about "the boy", I've never hear Sam talk like that or behave like that in any other movie.

The scene where Glass is yelling at the father who is getting the comic book art for his son,"One of us has wasted the other's valuable time..."  I've never seen that face, choreography, gesticulation, posturing nor heard that tone, or pace from him in any other movie.

11 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Jackson is one of those people who are in so many movies - and a lot of them big box office hits, even cultish hits - that it became a thing that if somebody asks "Who is Samuel L. Jackson?" the answer would be, "think of a movie with a black guy, that black guy is Samuel L. Jackson".  Hah hah.  But that's not just it.  Samuel L. Jackson is Samuel L. Jackson in every movie he's in.  He doesn't really change!  So, Mace Windu is not Mace Windu.  He's Samuel L. Jackson.  Nick Fury is not Nick Fury... He's Samuel L. Jackson.  Same guy, same acting.  Hah hah.  The only difference is the MPAA-rating.  There's R-rated Jackson (where he says m-f- every sentence) and there's PG Jackson (no m-f-'s).  And that's all you have to know about Samuel L. Jackson.  Hah hah.

Hollywood has looooooong resisted putting a black man as the primary lead in a general-release movie. For as rigidly and narrowly politically correct as Hollywood is, it is one of the last bastions of overt racism in the US. I think Will Smith broke that wall, but let's face it, you still don't see a lot of movies with a black man (or woman) as the primary lead. There are cultural factors that stir into that mix other than overt racism, of course.

(And FWIW, I think that Will Smith is twice the actor that Samuel L. Jackson is. But that's not really a slam on Jackson at all; Smith has been one of the great Hollywood leading men for the last, what, twenty years? Not sure why his movie-making has curtailed so much in the past five or so years, though. Truth be told, I pay little attention to such things these days. I guess it's part of getting older.)

23 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I think you misinterpreted my post.  I'm not saying that "he's not allowed."  I'm saying,"He doesn't seem to have a good sense of execution in areas outside his specialty."

No I understood what you meant.  I just wanted to express that thought.

41 minutes ago, Vort said:

Hollywood has looooooong resisted putting a black man as the primary lead in a general-release movie. For as rigidly and narrowly politically correct as Hollywood is, it is one of the last bastions of overt racism in the US. I think Will Smith broke that wall, but let's face it, you still don't see a lot of movies with a black man (or woman) as the primary lead. There are cultural factors that stir into that mix other than overt racism, of course.

(And FWIW, I think that Will Smith is twice the actor that Samuel L. Jackson is. But that's not really a slam on Jackson at all; Smith has been one of the great Hollywood leading men for the last, what, twenty years? Not sure why his movie-making has curtailed so much in the past five or so years, though. Truth be told, I pay little attention to such things these days. I guess it's part of getting older.)

I don't see racism in lead actors - Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman are usually the lead good guy in their movies.  And there's the great Sidney Portier.  Wesley Snipes in lead action good guy.  Will Smith and Eddie Murphy crosses the comedy, action, and drama genres of lead good guys but Will Smith pop culture reference is always gonna be The Fresh Prince.  Then there's Ice Cube that's more in the cultish thing.  There's Bill Cosby that dominated TV.   There's Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, and Chris Tucker in comedy all lead good guys.  The new crop of lead actors - Michael B Jordan, Kevin Hart, all lead good guys.  Dwayne Johnson is in so many movies these days - lead good guy in comedy, action, or drama.

Black women - there's Whoopi Goldberg, Angela Bassett, Halle Berry, Viola Davis, Taraji Henson, Octavia Spencer... all in good gal lead roles.

Black Panther is not even the first Black led superhero movie.  There's Blade - Wesley Snipes and Catwoman - Halle Berry.

All these great black actors in great lead roles in American movies as they represent only 13% of the American population.

Edited by anatess2

• 2 weeks later...

The Kid Who Would Be King

I enjoyed this.  It's for a younger audience.  My kids age 15 and 17 are too old for this movie.  It's a story based on the Knights of the Round Table and made to be apocalyptic (we have to save Britain!) with a final battle set at the upper school of all places.  It has a good message without being too preachy.  The actors are convincing, the effects are good, the storyline although quite shallow is good for the younger audience.  A bit scary for the same audience which gives it a bit of excitement.  Overall, just a good way to relax and let your brain not think too deeply about anything without it being a waste of time.

Miss Bala

I surprisingly loved this movie.  But... I can't give a proper review because the thing I love the most about it gives away the ending.  I super love the leading actress in this movie.  She got the character down pat - an ordinary struggling woman that started off very naive but you can just feel that grit underneath finally rising up against the odds and using that inner grit to wrest control of her spiraling life.  And I super love the lead actor too - he's like a Killmonger - he's portrayed as the bad guy then... plot twist, I ended up liking him and rooting for a redemption story and then... plot twist and I hate him again.  I love that kind of movie where you end up caring for the major characters.

So, I was kinda surprised this was billed as a PG13 movie as it is a cartel movie that hinted of sex trafficking in the trailer.  Interestingly, there was trafficking but no sex displayed in this movie.  The girl gets kidnapped by the cartel.  She is asked to strip but all you see is a brief flash of her modest underwear.  Then there's the pool party with all the girls in 2-piece swimsuit and the guys in suits.  And there's the club scene with girls dancing in mini skirts.  Quite tame compared to how Hollywood usually does movies like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Alita Battle Angel.

Best movie of the year so far.  But yes, it's still early.  I loved this movie.  There were some story flow that didn't quite make sense for me but overall it was great.  The graphics is just awesome.  The hair still looks more like nylon than hair on Alita but I'm not sure if that was done on purpose - as in, Alita is not supposed to have real hair.  They've really gotten very very good at the motion-capture technology.  The battle scenes are just awesome.  Things move fast enough to be exhilirating but not Michael Bay fast that it's just a big motion mess.  Anyway, I'm watching this again tomorrow to absorb more detail.  Yesterday, I was simply taking the scenery in without thinking much just to enjoy the show.

We watched this movie on some 3D technology that required the theater to give us special 3D glasses that were a lot heavier than the RealD 3D glasses they normally hand out.  Theater employees manned the theater exits making sure everyone returned their glasses.  I'm not quite sure what the difference is between that technology and the theater's regular RealD 3D.  But, I have to say, the 3D experience on Alita is really good.  I recommend paying the extra $ to just experience the movie in 3D.

I watched a documentary yesterday which, I'd actually seen before but forgotten.  It was called "For the Love of Spock," about he life and career of Leonard Nimoy, written and directed by his son, Adam.  It was pretty good.  Seems like Mr. Nimoy was a pretty good guy, and had a lot of talents.  I think they overestimated the importance of Spock to the overall Star Trek success, but that's understandable, and I'll concede that it wasn't by much.  

I just watched a Steven Spielberg movie called Ready Player One. It's set in the future, 2045, with people living in a crappy real world and a more exciting virtual world called Oasis. There's good guys and bad guys and it was very enjoyable. I recommend it.

M.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, unixknight said:

I watched a documentary yesterday which, I'd actually seen before but forgotten.  It was called "For the Love of Spock," about he life and career of Leonard Nimoy, written and directed by his son, Adam.  It was pretty good.  Seems like Mr. Nimoy was a pretty good guy, and had a lot of talents.  I think they overestimated the importance of Spock to the overall Star Trek success, but that's understandable, and I'll concede that it wasn't by much.  

Was Sheldon Cooper in it? He did do an interview with Adam..... :D

Alita again.

Better the 2nd time.  The story felt more flowy although it's still a bit jarring with Alita becoming a hunter warrior one scene and before we get really used to that she becomes a motorball contestant the next with hunter warriors and criminals alike trying to off her in a motorball game.  But, I guess it was ok because she did the motorball tryouts as a favor to her friend.  I'm gonna have to see this one more time to get a more in-depth feel for the whole thing.

20 minutes ago, unixknight said:

My wife had never seen The Joy Luck Club so I rented it for us to watch after dinner last night.  I had seen it once before many years ago but I understood it way better this time.  The only question we have is:  Did the twins actually make it to their father, or were they raised by someone else?

They don't really touch on it in the movie.  But in the book, the twins' father died in the war and the peasant couple who found them on the road ended up raising them in their poor household because Suyuan's house in China was destroyed in the war and abandoned so they had no way of knowing where Suyuan ended up.

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

They don't really touch on it in the movie.  But in the book, the twins' father died in the war and the peasant couple who found them on the road ended up raising them in their poor household because Suyuan's house in China was destroyed in the war and abandoned so they had no way of knowing where Suyuan ended up.

Thanks for the detail.  I actually edited out the last question because I looked up the novel on Wikipedia, but your answer was more detailed.