What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

It's interesting to watch old comedies and see what people used to laugh at. Some of them, like Marx Brothers, are still pretty funny to us, while others fall flat. Also strange to watch old "thriller" movies that look so tame. A few are still pretty awesome, like Les Diaboliques and Psycho, but generally not so much.

Watching movies from the '70s, I'm mostly surprised at how boring they are. Lots of very slow dialogue -- not like the witty patter of many '40s movies, but long expositional dialogues -- and the pacing was s-l-o-w. Same with comparing old TV shows to today. Filthy language and suggestive dialogue aside, a lot of old TV was very bad TV (though some of it was very good, too).

Nothing new here, I suppose, just musings everyone has had and/or heard already.

What really bugs me now with 60's and 70's movies I liked is the soundtrack! I can't stand to watch The Good, The Bad, The Ugly now because of that annoying riff! And I really liked that movie when I was little.

Pacific Rim.

Acting was pretty terrible but the visuals were fantastic. Too bad they spent all that money on eyecandy and had no budget for a decent cast of actors. Not a complete loss for $1.60 on Bluray at Redbox.

Oooooh... I love Idris Elba! He is awesome in Thor and Prometheus and again in Pacific Rim!

Oooooh... I love Idris Elba! He is awesome in Thor and Prometheus and again in Pacific Rim!

That's where I saw him!!!

DH and I turned to each other and both said, "This guy is the only decent actor in the whole movie." Referring to him!

Thor: The Dark World.

I loved it, despite, RT giving it 66% fresh. I thought it was thoroughly entertaining and it's funny how Loki really is the star of the show. I've become a huge Tom Hiddleston fan from the first Thor, through The Avengers, and now Thor 2. I'm a little bummed that I won't be making Comic-Con in 2014 to meet the Avengers but 2015 is definitely on my prep list to meet the mischievous Loki in person!

Thor: The Dark World.

I loved it, despite, RT giving it 66% fresh. I thought it was thoroughly entertaining and it's funny how Loki really is the star of the show. I've become a huge Tom Hiddleston fan from the first Thor, through The Avengers, and now Thor 2. I'm a little bummed that I won't be making Comic-Con in 2014 to meet the Avengers but 2015 is definitely on my prep list to meet the mischievous Loki in person!

:eek: Obviously this means something different in the US! :eek:

:eek: Obviously this means something different in the US! :eek:

Haha. Yes, the US and UK use different terms. That said, my father is British and I did grow up in the UK for awhile. I remember using 'rubber' a lot in school and my peers thought it was the strangest sounding thing ever here in the US.

Haha. Yes, the US and UK use different terms. That said, my father is British and I did grow up in the UK for awhile. I remember using 'rubber' a lot in school and my peers thought it was the strangest sounding thing ever here in the US.

Considering it is slang for a contraceptive device, in the US, I'm surprise you weren't met with giggles in school.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic