What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box - via Netlix

This was a good family film. You don't often see movies where you see the adventure based around a brother saving a brother. 

Good mystery and adventure. 

Edge of Tomorrow.  The first battle scene was too intense for the boys... it's like a sci-fi version of Saving Private Ryan... after that, we all relaxed and enjoyed the rest of it.  We had a long talk after the movie though because the kids were just not comfortable with it.  I read the kinds-in-mind entry of this thing and I thought it was just fine for the kids (lots of people die in X-Men too)... I was wrong.  I 'm not sure how this is different from X-Men but I did tell them that when they feel this way, they shouldn't feel like they have to sit in the theater or feel embarassed about thinking it's too much - they can walk out of the theater anytime.

Monuments Men.

I was really excited to see this one, but I wasn't too impressed when I actually sat down to see it. The story, based on a true story, was interesting but it was just poorly executed, I thought. Very slow paced. I think DH fell asleep part way through and only woke up to take a potty break. Still, good cast, acting was pretty good but no surprise because they threw in a bunch of A-lister actors. Just a bit, bleh, boring.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

My husband liked it, but it was just okay for me. I was confused with the deliverance of the movie. Was it a comedy? Or was it a drama? Or was it both? It felt like the director (was it Stiller?) couldn't decide, and as a result, the flow of things felt terribly off. Also, I didn't think the ending was as fantastic as everyone on Facebook raved it to be. It was just, meh, okay. In the end, I wouldn't recommend it, not really.

Maleficent.

I actually really enjoyed this one, and opposite Apple, I heard a lot of downers about it. When I watched it, I actually got close to tearing up a few times, there were just parts that I could emotionally relate to. A friend of mine said Angelina Jolie felt awkward in some scenes, and there might have been a couple of those, but I think I can pinpoint why. In my mind, Jolie is typically considered a strong woman, a sex symbol, no-nonsense type, so whenever you see her weep tears or show sympathy in any degree, it can be hard to really grasp. Overall, I felt she did a nice job on it.

I'd recommend it - I did for my own mum - I'd recommend it if you have kids. If you don't like Jolie to begin with - might want to take a hike instead - cos the movie revolves around here.

Penelope.  LOVED THIS MOVIE!

McAvoy is fast becoming one of my super short list of favorite actors (which is interesting that Fassbender is on that list too - and they're both on X-Men).  Ricci is, of course, as good as she always is... but even better in this movie because it's not her usual, I'm the monster... GROWL... role... but I'm a monster but I'm really hoping I'm not... and she was very effective at portraying that.

It's a light movie - not very emotional and not very funny.  Just mediocre on both counts... plus, I'm not easily moved (I didn't need tissues for Fault in Our Stars even) but, I can't believe I had to grab a tissue when McAvoy kissed Ricci! 

Fault in Our Stars

It was good but, I don't know... it was just missing something for me.  Elgort and Woodley has such a great chemistry!  Woodley is so very natural and cute in this difficult role and Elgort was just the perfect charming guy... But when they did their pre-funeral eulogy, I was just... ugh.  Eyes-sick is awesome in his role too.  My favorite scene is the trophy-smashing scene... which is an awkward scene between Elgort and Woodley but Isaac simply made it work...

Anatess, that one doesn't appeal to me. Not enough to watch it on big screen. RedBox I can justify it. I'm thinking that the leading lady and leading man roled together in Divergent, didn't they? That was just okay for me.

Maleficent.

I actually really enjoyed this one, and opposite Apple, I heard a lot of downers about it. When I watched it, I actually got close to tearing up a few times, there were just parts that I could emotionally relate to. A friend of mine said Angelina Jolie felt awkward in some scenes, and there might have been a couple of those, but I think I can pinpoint why. In my mind, Jolie is typically considered a strong woman, a sex symbol, no-nonsense type, so whenever you see her weep tears or show sympathy in any degree, it can be hard to really grasp. Overall, I felt she did a nice job on it.

I'd recommend it - I did for my own mum - I'd recommend it if you have kids. If you don't like Jolie to begin with - might want to take a hike instead - cos the movie revolves around here.

I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't comment. But I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about her thoughts on the movie. She said she didn't recommend it for younger children. She felt uncomfortable for her young grandchildren to be watching a movie where a female is getting hit etc.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic