What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

But we already know this from the play...

I don't know.  I guess I tend to look at plays-made-into-movies a little differently because the entire story - even all the songs - are already familiar to me.  So, I tend to look at these kinds of movies as... how well they compare with the play instead of looking at it on its own merit apart from the play.  It's the same with books-made-into-movies.

That's why with Ender's Game, I tell people... it's better if you don't read the book before watching the movie... because the movie is a great movie without the book but if you compare it with the book you'll be disappointed.  With Divergent - the story as told in the movie is a better story than the book, so don't bother reading the book at all.  Hah.

Or there's the likes of Lord of the Rings, in which case watch the movies first, but then definitely read the books.

(To be clear...I'm not talking about the Hobbit trilogy...which is just bloated visual effects and has little resemblance to the book)

Oh...and to stay on topic. I saw the third Hobbit Movie. 

Meh.

The Imitation Game.

Awesome movie.  Cumberbatch is now firmly in my very short list of favorite actors.

Of course, like most movies based on historical characters, you're gonna have to weed through which is fact and which is fiction the most grievous error of which is that Turing committed treason for fear of being exposed as a homosexual.  I'm fairly certain Turing went a few turns in his grave with this one.  I mean, the real Turing submitted a long paper admitting to his relationship with the dude who stole stuff from his apartment!  Why would he be a coward about it when facing down a Soviet spy?  As a side comment, I liked how they tackled the homosexual side of Turing and how they concentrated more on his mathematical genius and his work in WWII.

I was going to skip this because I figured it would be too laden with agenda. Are you saying it was not?

I was going to skip this because I figured it would be too laden with agenda. Are you saying it was not?

It was not.

I mean, yes, of course the Agenda is present - probably enough to make you uncomfortable - but it was not the focus of the movie.  The movie focused mainly on his genius and the Turing machine and even more on his "Asperger-like" personality than his homosexuality.  But you can't talk about Turing's life and not talk about the chemical castration order by the British government, ya know.  And we really can't just turn our backs on that awful piece of our history in the same manner that we can't really turn our backs on the awful racism plaguing the 50's and 60's in The Help.

But what I really loved about how they handled that part of Turing is the poetic license they took on Joan Clarke.  They put her front and center in Turing's life to counter-balance the homosexuality.  And a good dialogue in the movie for me is when Clarke told Turing that marriage is not just about sex... and they care much about each other and connect completely with their minds that it is more reason to be married than many "normal" people have to be married (although, yeah, she kinda implied that she doesn't require him not to "stray")... and it even goes so far as to give the audience the freedom to think that Turing was just a super bad guy for not accepting Joan's proposition or to think better of Turing's refusal as a selfless act of love to give Joan a better life or to think that Turing was just being "true to himself"... you can interpret that dialogue in any of those ways...

Edited by anatess

A dazzling comment, anatess.  Have you considered becoming a movie critic?    

Hah hah... I used to send out movie reviews before the "Internet was invented" to save people money... My husband and I watch a lot of movies... sometimes 5 movies in one weekend... even before we were married.  And I always get asked by my friends/family/coworkers which one I recommend for them to watch... so I started sending out emails to a distribution list on which movie I recommend to watch that weekend and whether it is good to bring the kiddos to.  But now, the internet is flooded with movie reviews... they can just google it.

True enough, but isn't there some site that reviews the content (violence, language, drug use, etc) of movies?  IMDB does this to some extent.  

For example, reviews of "Capote" were very favorable, so I started watching it last night.  Right away there was a warning about violence, and then I saw the R rating on the Netflix sleeve.  The movie appeared to open with a violent scene that I knew would bother me, so I stopped it and returned it this morning.

Am going back to pre-1970 movies.  Next in my queue is "The Wreck of the Mary Deare," which we had to read in high school.  I hated studying it, but I don't remember whether that was due to the novel or the teacher.  Probably a bit of both.   Do you have any comments to share about that movie?  (It's not too late for me to short-circuit my Netflix DVD pipeline and pick something else before "Capote" gets back to them.)

True enough, but isn't there some site that reviews the content (violence, language, drug use, etc) of movies?  IMDB does this to some extent.  

For example, reviews of "Capote" were very favorable, so I started watching it last night.  Right away there was a warning about violence, and then I saw the R rating on the Netflix sleeve.  The movie appeared to open with a violent scene that I knew would bother me, so I stopped it and returned it this morning.

Am going back to pre-1970 movies.  Next in my queue is "The Wreck of the Mary Deare," which we had to read in high school.  I hated studying it, but I don't remember whether that was due to the novel or the teacher.  Probably a bit of both.   Do you have any comments to share about that movie?  (It's not too late for me to short-circuit my Netflix DVD pipeline and pick something else before "Capote" gets back to them.)

The Gary Cooper movie?  Ohhh... I've seen that looooooong ago... the thing I remember about it is it had pretty cool special effects when they sunk the ship.  But, that was way back when... probably the early 90's or so... before the age of DVDs.  So not sure if they would still look good today.  Gary Cooper is always great, but I didn't think this was one of his best performances.

And if you want some info on violence/skin/substance use/etc... for movies, kidsinmind.com is one of my go-to places for that.

I did a 2-fer yesterday...

Avatar (always a good movie even after the 129th time I watched it).

In Your Eyes - now this one is interesting.  The concept of the movie is really cool - 2 people from different parts of the country for no explicable reason that was ever given in the movie, somehow has a telepathic connection where they can see/feel/hear what the other can see/feel/hear.  It's not really mental telepathy because they can't think what the other one thinks... I love that creativity and they could have made a really good blockbuster using this premise to build really cool situations... and the first 5 minutes was really gripping... unfortunately, the storyline was almost juvenile - a romantic thing - and so it was more of like "something to pick out on your Netflix when you've seen all the blockbusters"...  which isn't really a waste of time if you're into guy saves the girl kind of romantic thing.

Edited by anatess

It was an animated short, about 26 minutes run time, titled "Room On A Broom". It's originally a children's storybook, which we haven't read, but I'll be looking for it on Amazon.

Anyway, super cute. Intended for youngsters. It has a morale but not as you'd expect. The animations (CGI & stop motion clay) is done well, very colourful and vivid. Great family movie, easy to follow, no excessive dialogue.

Taken 3.

Taken 1 was awesome.

Taken 2 was blah but has its moments.

Taken 3 was just blah without any moments.

... even Dougray Scott could not save this one.  What's with that guy?  He had so much promise but it seems like anything he touches just turns... blah.

Night At The Museum 2.

I liked it better than the first one, maybe because of some of the more modern updates, but I really did feel the story was just a lot better. It was funny and flowed nicely. Worth seeing but not a must-see. You could wait for it on RedBox and enjoy it then.

Night At The Museum 2.

I liked it better than the first one, maybe because of some of the more modern updates, but I really did feel the story was just a lot better. It was funny and flowed nicely. Worth seeing but not a must-see. You could wait for it on RedBox and enjoy it then.

You must mean NATM 3.  NATM 2 has been out of the theaters and into Redbox looooong time ago...

Edited by anatess

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic