What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

ID.C. will never beat Marvel in the big screen if they continue to make dark, lead-footed movies out of everything.  Batman is dark.  Gotham is dark.  Superman and Wonder Woman are not.  So when you make a dark Superman it doesn't work.

Yes, the fanatics are now old people, but superheroes are always kiddy stuff.  Even the aged fanatics love it because they can be kids again.  So having too complicated a plot line that's all adult-angst... flop.

Marvel succeeded because it's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously... the ones that do - Wolverine, XMen 2 and 3... flop.  The current X-Men is more adult but they throw in some bones for the kiddos - quicksilver for one.  Avengers is super fun.

Dark is really... Batman, Deadpool (and even that, Marvel decided to go fun), Punisher...

IMHO, at this point Warner Brothers should leave adapting the comic book stories to their animated direct-to-video features, where they have a competent staff who know how to handle these things in the appropriate fashion. 

17 hours ago, anatess2 said:

D.C. will never beat Marvel in the big screen if they continue to make dark, lead-footed movies out of everything.  Batman is dark.  Gotham is dark.  Superman and Wonder Woman are not.  So when you make a dark Superman it doesn't work.

Yes, the fanatics are now old people, but superheroes are always kiddy stuff.  Even the aged fanatics love it because they can be kids again.  So having too complicated a plot line that's all adult-angst... flop.

Marvel succeeded because it's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously... the ones that do - Wolverine, XMen 2 and 3... flop.  The current X-Men is more adult but they throw in some bones for the kiddos - quicksilver for one.  Avengers is super fun.

Dark is really... Batman, Deadpool (and even that, Marvel decided to go fun), Punisher...

I agree with the too dark, lead footed thing. And I'm no Snyder fan. I don't agree that it needs to be or should be kiddy stuff. They just need to inject more humor and light moments. And I totally agree that Superman (standalone movies) should not be dark. 

But I don't fully understand the hate that's being shown by the critics and fans for Batman v Sup. Saw it yesterday with my work. Taking my wife to see it again today. I quite enjoyed it. No...it wasn't as good as it could have been. No...it didn't compete with the best Marvel stuff (though definitely better than the worst (The Incredible Hulk) Marvel). But it was entertaining to me. Heads and tails moreso than Man of Steel which was just dull. I liked it well enough to be going to it again and actually paying for it this time.

I can understand Batman v Superman not being considered superb. But the critics saying it's the worst superhero movie ever made...worse that Catwoman or Batman and Robin??? Are you freaking kidding me?

Well... when you consider the world we live in and who our next president is going to be because of how intelligent people are...I guess it shouldn't surprise me when people have crazy idiotic views. Seriously. Worse than Batman and Robin??!?!??

I watched Zootopia yesterday with my family. It was a reasonably entertaining movie with no obvious, glaring flaws. But I didn't really like it. I didn't hate it, but it seemed to use a sort of generic populist ideal of morality that I found distasteful.

Doubtless some will say I'm just taking it too seriously and need to relax. Maybe they're right, but...I don't think so. The Incredibles is proof that an animated flick, even a silly fantasy, can be very sharply written and take a nuanced philosophical view without sacrificing kid-friendliness or viewability. Not to say that every animated movie has to be The Incredibles, but in the end I left the theater a bit disappointed in a very pretty movie that substituted paper-thin popular philosophies for real insights into its subject matter.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, Vort said:

I watched Zootopia yesterday with my family. It was a reasonably entertaining movie with no obvious, glaring flaws. But I didn't really like it. I didn't hate it, but it seemed to use a sort of generic populist ideal of morality that I found distasteful.

Doubtless some will say I'm just taking it too seriously and need to relax. Maybe they're right, but...I don't think so. The Incredibles is proof that an animated flick, even a silly fantasy, can be very sharply written and take a nuanced philosophical view without sacrificing kid-friendliness or viewability. Not to say that every animated movie has to be The Incredibles, but in the end I left the theater a bit disappointed in a very pretty movie that substituted paper-thin popular philosophies for real insights into its subject matter.

This makes 2 of us on Zootopia...

Dash and Violet were so good at The Incredibles, they got drafted to join the Avengers

the-adventures-of-speedster-and-emo-girl

The second to last movie I watched was Brooklyn. I highly recommend it. It's an intelligent, sensitive movie that will teach you to be more empathetic. I watched it content-filtered, which was nice because I think there was a fair amount of swearing. Also, apparently an intimacy scene which I'm happier to skip.

The last movie I watched was Looper. I also watched it content-filtered but it was still a little too violent. It's about assassins, so I can't fully recommend it because of the violence. I absolutely to not recommend it without being content-filtered - it's surely a strong R.

Spoiler alert - Spoiler alert: The ending of Looper almost made up for all the violence. It was a truly Christian, feel-good type ending. Loved that, but can't fully recommend the movie.

I saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.  I was disappointed. The family was too over the top in this one and I think they tried too hard to make it funny.  And there was so much sexual innuendo (though said in Greek) throughout the movie.  That got a bit old to me.

The big issue with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch is that there's a rights issue. 

The movie rights to the mutant and Inhuman characters resides with Fox rather than Disney. Both characters are mutants, and so technically Disney shouldn't even be able to use them in the movies or their television shows. This put Disney in a bind, as The Scarlet Witch has been associated with The Avengers since the 1980s. What we saw in "Age of Ultron" was Disney trying to finagle a way they could still use the pair. 

This is also why Sunfire and Silver Samurai couldn't be used in Big Hero 6: they're mutants, and so Disney can't touch them, either. 

10 hours ago, Ironhold said:

The big issue with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch is that there's a rights issue. 

The movie rights to the mutant and Inhuman characters resides with Fox rather than Disney. Both characters are mutants, and so technically Disney shouldn't even be able to use them in the movies or their television shows. This put Disney in a bind, as The Scarlet Witch has been associated with The Avengers since the 1980s. What we saw in "Age of Ultron" was Disney trying to finagle a way they could still use the pair. 

This is also why Sunfire and Silver Samurai couldn't be used in Big Hero 6: they're mutants, and so Disney can't touch them, either. 

Aaaahhhmm.... this is not quite accurate.

First of all, even though Marvel Studios is now a Walt Disney Subsidiary, Disney only has license to distribute the movies, Marvel Studios, unlike Lucas Films, still retained the production license with their name Marvel Studios and all their contracts prior to the Disney merger.  When Marvel movies open, you see the Marvel marque flashing instead of the Walt Disney marque with Cinderella's castle.  Disney bought out Lucas Films lock, stock, and barrel so Disney can do whatever it wants with any and all Star Wars characters and flash Cinderella's castle when the Star Wars movie opens and Lucas can't do anything about it.

As far as the Fox character rights... Fox has rights to "Mutants'.  Marvel has rights to "Avengers".  Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in the complicated position of being both.  So, technically, Marvel has rights to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as long as they don't mention that they are "Mutants" and they don't use their background as Magneto's children.  Hence the retcon backstory of them getting their powers through a Hydra experiment.

Silver Samurai and Sunfire are also crossovers so they can also be used in Big Hero 6 as long as Disney Animation Studios do not reference them as mutants and avoid the storyline that connects them to Charles Xavier and Wolverine.  Silver Samurai is a Hydra lackey, Hydra is Marvel so Marvel can use him in the Captain America or Avengers storyline too.  Also, Silver Samurai is one of Daredevil's antagonists and Daredevil is now back in Marvel.  So he can show up there too.

God's Not Dead 2

It's not a direct follow-on to the original, but is set in the same town and involves some of the same characters. 

Unfortunately, it feels a bit flat compared to the first one. 

Also, I think it's pretty obvious that the production team intends to create a third film, as this one sets up for it. 

My All American

This was such an AWESOME movie.  If you're looking for the next movie for your dvd player... pick this one.

I love these kinds of movies where there are no bad guys.  All the characters are just amazing, classy people.  Even the characters that are engaged in intense rivalry... both sides are classy.  The girlfriend, classy... the parents, classy.  The best friends... classy.  The coaches... classy.

And with the movie about College Football, the husband was just happy to watch it twice (we'll be watching it again for the 3rd time at my brother's).  My 2 teen boys loved it too.

Saw Batman v Superman:Dawn of Justice over the weekend.

220px-Batman_v_Superman_poster.jpg

I liked it.  I thought Ben Affleck did a great job as Batman/Bruce Wayne. 

I know a lot of people didn't like it and the critics hated it.  I think that was probably because the movie was a bit too long and was trying to do too much.  They could have tightened up the story a lot more and eliminated a lot of the extraneous stuff, but overall it was a good story and wasn't as violent and destructive as the previous Superman film.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I know you all have been anxiously awaiting this moment....

I saw Star Wars VII....finally. I had to wait for my oldest son to get home from his mission and my youngest who is 10 to see all six previous movies (his request). We were able to get them from Netflix.

So we caught it in the Dollar theater. I'm not going to pretend...that was my devious plan all along.....wait for the dollar theater. 

I'm not much of a Star Wars fan. I couldn't even push myself to watch 4, 5, and 6 again in preparation. I watched 4. That was it.

So I didn't expect to like 7. I just went along...family bonding, you know. :)  And to my surprise l loved it.  But, ohhhh, Han Solo. :(

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Superman - The Movie

Man.  This brings me waaaaaay back.  Christopher Reeve was the very first poster on my bedroom wall.  I even marked his height of 6'4" on my wall with permanent marker so I can pretend to talk to him "up there".  The "Can You Read My Mind" flying scene was my first Prince/Princess romantic fantasy.  Hah hah.  After all these years, I still absolutely love this movie.  Superman Returns take this same tone which is why it's my favoritest Superman movie.  The Cavill Superman movies, I hate (don't get me wrong, I love Cavill - even when he was the bad guy in Tristan and Isolde).

I remember watching Superman and thinking it was so cool.  And for the time, I suppose it was fine.  But I recently watched the "everything wrong with..." on Superman.  I really couldn't argue with it.  Oh how perspectives change.

I guess "where were you when you watched Superman" is a real thing.

I was at my cousin's 7th birthday party.  We had cupcakes.  The show was interrupted by an altercation of some sort between the birthday boy and his mom, about how his cupcake wasn't special enough or some such thing.  I remember being horrified that Superman defeated the baddies by throwing them into a bottomless pit of mist - that scared the heck out of me.

I flew with Superman. While waiting in line, my brothers and I figured out the system. If you watch the monitor while you're laying on that slab you can see where Superman is relative to your position on the screen. Our videos have us leaning in to fly one way but pulled in the opposite direction (don't aim for the missiles kid, don't fly into Superman). We also have random leg kicks in an attempt to pop him one.

My video was different of course. I had to fly in a white smock because there was some concern about how my shirt would work with the special effects.

That flying sequence is definitely a defining moment for this kind of cinema, and was pretty amazing. 

Superman Returns captured a little of that magic but it bothered me the whole time because Lois was basically cheating on her fiancee by going on this flight, and Superman was totally trying to re-seduce her with it.  Seemed out of character for both of them. 

On 3/25/2016 at 5:33 PM, anatess2 said:

D.C. will never beat Marvel in the big screen if they continue to make dark, lead-footed movies out of everything.  Batman is dark.  Gotham is dark.  Superman and Wonder Woman are not.  So when you make a dark Superman it doesn't work.

marvel and DC are trying to out-dark each other. both of them need aroundtheworld super atomic wedgies.

I just watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens for the second time, on Vidangel. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed it more the second time. And I want to watch it a third time now. It's rare for me to want to watch any movie more than once.

I didn't love it the first time, in the theater. So I've been afraid it wasn't going to stand the test of time for me. But it will. I'm a happy Star Wars fan now!

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic