What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

I understand The Lone Ranger has flopped pretty badly. Has anyone who has seen this care to share their opinion?

I guess it is very bad because none of the theaters in Cebu, Philippines is carrying it. So, no, I haven't been able to watch the thing.

The Great Gatsby. I was glad I didn't drag my husband to see it. We would have had to leave. Man, I forgot what a depressing story that is. The one thing I did like was the choices in music. Placing modern rap or 20's-ized (it's a word!) covers of modern songs over the Babylongesque partying was very effective, I thought.

I've been tempted to pick that up being a bungie/halo fan.. was it worth watching?

According to my kids age 9 and 11, Yes. According to me... I'm like.. Wha? I don't know Halo at all except that it comes in Megablocks. There was another one (can't remember the title) but it had Anna Popplewell from the Narnia movies in it. That one was kinda... wha??? too but man, like 15 minutes before the movie ended, Master Chief comes out and my boys sounded like little girls in a Justin Bieber concert.

Turbo. Same as Despicable Me 2. Bleh. I just can't suspend reality enough to see a snail race the Indy 500. And it doesn't help that the characters are cookie cutter that you can tell exactly what happens next. My kids ages 9 and 11 said after this movie, "It was funny but that movie was just silly."

They play the 'Honeymooners' late on TV here. While I was watching, I thought of Art Carney and looked him up on Wikipedia, learning that Mr Carney won the Academy Award for his work in 'Harry and Tonto.' I'd heard of the movie and decided to watch it on Netflix.

The movie came out when I was in college, but I think it would have been wasted on me then. Now, with age and experience, I found it absorbing and a little difficult to watch. My mother lost one of her best friends a few weeks ago and yesterday learned that her other best friend (they were all college roomies) is in hospice. The movie coupled with this background stuff about my mother's issues will really make you think about aging, your adult children, things you haven't done, etc.

On the bright side, those sure were some fashions in the '70's! : )

Jack the Giant Slayer

Pros:

• Quality voice acting for the Giants.
  • Fun supporting cast performances.
  • Well thought out battle scene toward the end of the movie.
Cons:

• Lead actors, (Jack and Princess), perform well but are not given much to do in the script. The lead villain, the knight, and the king are comparatively more memorable.
  • Thematically tepid. It's a breezy adventure movie. No explorations or celebrations of human nature are to be found here.
  • Plot holes. Ignore them. This isn't Game of Thrones.
Who it's for:

"I want a fun, all-purpose fantasy movie that is reasonably family-friendly."

It's better than Oz the Great and Powerful.

Caught me off guard. If you happen to watch it, there is a scene where the male lead and a female from the village go down to a pool. Skip ahead a couple minutes. I'm usually pretty good about reading the back descriptions of movies to see if there is nudity. I did not do so on this one.

• 5 weeks later...

Last night I saw 'The Mortal Instrument: City of Bones' and it wasn't too bad. I didn't know it was originally a series of books, nor was I immediately familiar with any of the actors but DH and I had a fun time with it. If you're looking for a no-brainer and enjoy fantasy genre, this'll be a fun one to see with the kids or for a GNO. There's some pretty fun fight sequences and the characters are interesting enough. No, this won't win any awards but we decided to see it around midnight last night and had a lot of fun.

Caught me off guard. If you happen to watch it, there is a scene where the male lead and a female from the village go down to a pool. Skip ahead a couple minutes. I'm usually pretty good about reading the back descriptions of movies to see if there is nudity. I did not do so on this one.

I'm not put off by nudity... extreme violence on the other hand (unless its cartoonishly stupid)

last movie I watched was Ninja Kill, a movie that is literally 2 movies spliced into one movie

I too have several ninja outfits like those (with headbands)

Edited by Lakumi

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic