Am I a Jack Mormon?

Jeffmk

I don't really know where to place myself in the grand scheme of things. I like reading the Book of Mormon, watching BYUTV, and the such.

My faith, is not very strong though. I often wander between belief, and doubt. I want Joseph Smith to be a prophet, I want Jesus to be our savior, and want it all to be true, but there is always doubt in my mind.

Still, I pray to God and find comfort in reading the BoM. I don't follow the WoW though, as I drink a few beers every week or two, and am addicted to nicotine despite my attempts to quit. I don't go to my Ward, and haven't been there for five years or so now.

I'm thinking of going back some day, once I muster the courage to get past my social phobia, but I don't know if I will ever have the same degree of faith as others do. I've just been tempered in a world where doubt is ingrained in me, it is hard to just let go and accept something without suspicion. Mind you, before I was converted, I was a fairly hardened atheist, so even this far is quite a bit of progress for me.

What the heck am I? Bleh:confused:

Sounds to me like you are someone who is struggling to have faith. Remember, even though from Testimony you would not believe it, most live by faith and not knowledge. Doctrine and Covenants 46 says that some are given the gift of knowledge and others to believe the testimonies of those who know.

Don't get hung up on knowing. Have faith.

My experience is that most who were active and become less active it is because they find other things to do with their Sunday time. Not because they don't believe but because they think there are better things to do.

Good luck

Ben Raines

Well, I am sorry, however let's begin with the elementary answers:

1. You are a child of God. :)

2. You are loved by a God that was willing to lay down his life for you and all others. :)

3. You have a divine destiny. :)

Now that I have begun with the primary answers, let's discuss some of your other thoughts. All of us experience faith and doubt. Without the option to doubt we would not experience a growth in our faith. I don't know many people who feel they aren't as faithful or as strong as they would like to be.

I am reminded of the words from the book of Dune "I am not the man I would like to be," or something to this nature. I would be less concerned with the faith of others and be more concerned about nourishing your faith day by day. What small thing would you be able to do each day that would increase your faith?

I can only imagine if I compared my faith to President Monson everyday. This man is a champ of faith, service, and love for God; fortunately, God won't compare me to him either -- what a blessing!

Keep praying, keep reading the Book of Mormon, and discover one element in your life that will help nourish your faith and work on it. I would suggest signing up for an account with LDS.org and begin working on the Duty to God, if it lets you. If you work on this, and actually seek to apply the lessons being taught (since you didn't grow up in the Church), you might be surprised in a couple of years and when you look back as to the growth of your faith.

Alma 32:27

But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

In fact, that whole chapter is good. :)

Jeffmk, welcome! I don't know what you are - you are certainly the first beer drinker I've met who likes BYUTV. I can't stand it myself. (BYUTV, I mean.)

But whatever you are, you're hardly alone with these thoughts and doubts. I'm a fan of doubt. It keeps us from being gullible - from buying every story from every snake oil salesman that comes down the way. But doubt must be resolved, or it festers.

I used to be in your situation. I bet all on the promise in the BoM - the one that says if I did A, B, C, and D, I would get an unmistakable confirmation. It came. You might consider doing something similar.

But anyway, welcome!

I don't really know where to place myself in the grand scheme of things. I like reading the Book of Mormon, watching BYUTV, and the such.

My faith, is not very strong though. I often wander between belief, and doubt. I want Joseph Smith to be a prophet, I want Jesus to be our savior, and want it all to be true, but there is always doubt in my mind.

Still, I pray to God and find comfort in reading the BoM. I don't follow the WoW though, as I drink a few beers every week or two, and am addicted to nicotine despite my attempts to quit. I don't go to my Ward, and haven't been there for five years or so now.

I'm thinking of going back some day, once I muster the courage to get past my social phobia, but I don't know if I will ever have the same degree of faith as others do. I've just been tempered in a world where doubt is ingrained in me, it is hard to just let go and accept something without suspicion. Mind you, before I was converted, I was a fairly hardened atheist, so even this far is quite a bit of progress for me.

To me it sounds as though you are indeed simply a Mormon who has been presented with a challenge that can be overcome with prayer and guidance.