Posted by the Church: Top Mormon Women Leaders Provide Insights into Church Leadership and . . .

applepansy

I firmly believe that the brethren in leadership of the church are very aware of the issues and things that concern us as sisters in the church. I totally agree with the statements made by these women. I don't believe they are blind to them or out of touch with things as many would believe.

I felt so much love and peace watching this. I can't think of a better way (by the leading sisters of the church) and time (the day before conference) for these issues to be addressed.

I feel that love and peace as well. It was also very comforting to me in light of all that has been going on.

Edited by pam

In the 1980's, is was passed that women could be ordained to the priesthood in the Community of Christ. (RLDS at the time!) In our church, priesthood callings are initiated by the pastor, mission center president, ect. It is a divine calling a people can sense that. If the pastor, ect sense a call for a person they will pray about it and discuss the call with their counselors or the MCP. If they feel that this person does have a call to the priesthood, they will initiate it. Once it is approved, the individual will be approached about the call and they have one year to accept or deny it. In the 80's the problem was that people were sensing a call for women in their congregations. Women felt a call to the priesthood and eventually pastors and other authoritative figures began to sense these calls and we received revelation that it was the will of God that women be ordained. In our D&C 156:8-11 " It is my will that my priesthood be made up of those who have an abiding faith and desire to serve me with all their hearts, in humility and with great devotion. Therefore, where there are those who are not now functioning in their priesthood, let inquiry be made by the proper administrative officers, according to the provisions of the law, to determine the continuing nature of their commitment. I have heard the prayers of many, including my servant the prophet, as they have sought to know my will in regard to the question of who shall be called to share to burdens and responsibilities of priesthood in my church. I say to you now, as I have said in the past, that all are called according to the gifts which have been given them. This applies to priesthood as well as to any other aspects of the work. Therefore, do not wonder that some women of the church are being called to priesthood responsibilities. This is in harmony with my will and where these call are made known to my servants, they may be processed according to the administrative procedures and provisions of the law. Nevertheless, in the ordaining of women to priesthood, let this be done with all deliberateness. Before the actual laying on of hands takes place, let specific guidelines and instructions be provided by the spiritual authorities, that all may be done in order. Remember, in many places there is still much uncertainty and misunderstanding regarding the principles of calling and giftedness. There are persons whose burden in this regard will require that considerable labor and ministerial support be provided. This should be extended with prayer and tenderness of feeling, that all may be blessed with the full power of my reconciling Spirit. Dear Saints, have courage for the task which is yours in bringing to pass the cause of Zion. Prepare yourselves through much study and earnest prayer. Then, as you go forth to witness of my love and my concern for all persons, you will know the joy which comes from devoting yourselves completely to the work of the kingdom. To this end will my Spirit be with you. Amen. - Wallace B. Smith

As the Community of Christ faces issues that arise within the church, I can't help but to notice that the will of God is directing the church. I have always grown up with the belief that the Community of Christ (RLDS) is the one true church and we are called to be in the forefront leading the way. I don't necessarily believe that we are the one true church, but I do believe that God is leading us to do his will. It seems like we tackle issues before the other branches of the Latter Day Saint movement. I hope that the LDS will start ordaining women to the priesthood. I know that you will be blessed by their ministry as I have. I don't think a person's sex, would determine whether or not God can use them to build the kingdom.

... we received revelation that it was the will of God that women be ordained.

One thing has always confused me.

The RLDS has always held that the office and post of Prophet was hereditary, the province and inheritance of Joseph's heirs.

You've been lacking one of those- and the Priesthood keys associated with him- for several decades.

How then, are you receiving authorized revelation regarding the Kingdom of God- let alone for the radical modifications you have made to how it is governed?

It seems like we tackle issues before the other branches of the Latter Day Saint movement.

Ayep- and vis-a-vis questions of polygamy, the need for an authorized Prophet of God, priesthood lineage, the divine origin of the Book of Mormon, indeed- the very name of the Church itself, you seem to abandon fundamental principles of the Latter-day Saint movement faster than anyone else as well.

The RLDS/CoC is at the forefront of accomodation and appeasement- but I'm less-than-convinced that that's a praiseworthy, or even desirable, accomplishment.

I hope that the LDS will start ordaining women to the priesthood.

I, on the other hand, am content for THE LORD to make HIS will known on that count before we make any changes.

I know that you will be blessed by their ministry as I have. I don't think a person's sex, would determine whether or not God can use them to build the kingdom.

Gotta love the inherent sexism in that sentiment.

With that condescending flourish, you just dismissed out-of-hand all of the good and all of the blessings that our good sisters have wrought since the Church's founding.

Well done.

Edited by skippy740
Removed an "F" in RLDS. Don't want to get confused between RLDS and FLDS. :)

I assume that the spirit was leading towards Grant being the prophet. I assume that is who Wallace B Smith designated.

As for us in the forefront is a traditional belief that many have abandoned but I still believe it. I honestly feel that we are being divinely led. As revelation has confirmed , even with the name change.

No sexism was intended at all! I don't under estimate the faith and work women have done it the church at all. After all, look at Emma Smith and what role she played in the reorganization! I believe that all are called despite their age, skin color, sex, or who they love.

I really enjoyed this statement by Elder Robert D. Hales to Sister Rosemary Wixom (General Primary President), as shared by Sister Wixom, "What is the taproot that will anchor a child in the wind?"

She mentions Elder Robert D. Hales response to her initial reaction, "No, no, Sister Wixom you are going to think about this...and what's more you will get the answer to that question, I won't, because you are the Primary President."

Sister Wixom responded, "I left his office that day feeling the mantle of my calling."

Now this is honoring someone else's stewardship. Here she was probably thinking she would have received a great answer from Elder Hales, to her surprise, no answer and total respect for her calling and stewardship.

This will be a great quote to discuss in bishopric meeting, accompanied by the question how are we honoring the leaders in our ward and their stewardship?

Thanks for sharing this Apple...