Kids on Missions

DMGNUT

So... here I sit in my early 50s, having been a member of the Church for a little less than 8 years. My wife and I have known each other since we were 13, married at 21, and had our first of 2 sons at 30. When we joined the church in our early 40s, our boys were still 13 and 10. Both have earned their Eagle Scout awards. And for the last 2 years, our oldest has spent his mission, serving the people of Asuncion, Paraguay (and I'm very excited at the thought of flying there to meet him and his Mission President in just a few short weeks).

Last night we had a crowd of youth and their leaders in our home for the occasion of my younger son opening his mission call letter. He will be reporting to the Provo MTC in late July, to begin his mission to serve the people of Monterrey, Mexico.

It amazes me that in spite of the many mistakes I've made throughout my life, that the Lord has blessed me with such choice Spirits as my two sons and my wife. I feel unworthy of the blessings the Lord has generously and abundantly provided to me. But these blessings serve only to strengthen my testimony, that God's focus is on love, forgiveness and a desire for us to return to Him.

Just a note of sincere thanks, to all of those parents who have sent their kids forth, as missionaries, to find people like me.

So... here I sit in my early 50s, having been a member of the Church for a little less than 8 years. My wife and I have known each other since we were 13, married at 21, and had our first of 2 sons at 30. When we joined the church in our early 40s, our boys were still 13 and 10. Both have earned their Eagle Scout awards. And for the last 2 years, our oldest has spent his mission, serving the people of Asuncion, Paraguay (and I'm very excited at the thought of flying there to meet him and his Mission President in just a few short weeks).

Last night we had a crowd of youth and their leaders in our home for the occasion of my younger son opening his mission call letter. He will be reporting to the Provo MTC in late July, to begin his mission to serve the people of Monterrey, Mexico.

It amazes me that in spite of the many mistakes I've made throughout my life, that the Lord has blessed me with such choice Spirits as my two sons and my wife. I feel unworthy of the blessings the Lord has generously and abundantly provided to me. But these blessings serve only to strengthen my testimony, that God's focus is on love, forgiveness and a desire for us to return to Him.

Just a note of sincere thanks, to all of those parents who have sent their kids forth, as missionaries, to find people like me.

My oldest returned last November from 19 months in the Phillipines, my second oldest moves from the MTC to Fort Lauderdale Fla (Spanish-speaking) later this month.

I could not be prouder of them, and am both grateful for and amazed at their service- and that of all the faithful missionaries.

• 2 months later...

All I can say is Wow.

My son and I are home.

It was a wonderful time, in a beautiful country, with a loving and humble people.

So I'm not really sure what to say about my trip, or rather, where to begin...

I know there's poverty in the world... I've seen it on TV.

However, there's a vast difference between having been aware of such a thing... and then sitting in someone's home and having them insist on you having something to eat and drink, when they have dirt floors, no windows or doors and might have only 2 light bulbs (and will bring one of those bulbs from another room, to illuminate the one you're visiting in), simply because you honored them by making the walk to come visit them.

Its amazing what I (and most all Americans) take for granted.

I asked my son before heading down there, what I might bring as a small gift for the families we would visit?

He said they take a great deal of pride in dressing nicely for church, but only some of the men own a tie (they are too expensive), and that American chocolate was highly sought after (but due to the cost, only available to the very rich, upper class).

I know it may seem shallow, but I took 6 dozen ties and 30 pounds of assorted chocolates.

A tie went to every male member of every family we visited, as well as a pound of chocolate to the woman of each household.

For me, it was a very emotional trip, filled with excitement and spiritual experiences.

We even went through the Temple with the Mission President and his wife.

On a side note, the wood work in that Temple is magnificent.

Having said that, I thought I'd share something funny that also falls into the category of being prompted by the Spirit.

I know this will sound "girly", but I put a great deal of thought into what I'd wear while I was there.

This is not like me at all, but I was concerned with wanting to look nice, but not wanting to look "too" nice... due to the poorness of these fine people... (I hope that makes sense).

Anyway, my concern was whether to take slacks or jeans, button-up shirts or pull-overs, and should I take a hat (which my doctor insists I never go anywhere without, due to past skin cancers).

I began to feel sure that I should just take jeans with button-up shirts (and I dressed the same everyday, with the only difference being a white shirt vs. a grey shirt, for each day).

I also felt sure I should take my black hat and black boots.

Although all of this is pretty much normal for me (being a country boy from Texas), I admittedly stood out among the Paraguayan people.

The first couple days we were out visiting, we went into areas that the missionaries are not allowed into after dark... as it is just too dangerous.

For some reason, the Mission President gave my son permission anyway (after having seen me).

I was unaware of the danger, or the "special" permission which was given.

Remember, most of the conversations were in Spanish.

The areas we were in (those first few nights) had lots of open air markets, taverns, etc.

Considering how run-down these areas were, there was lots of activity, with lots of people moving about (on foot, and via mopeds, motorcycles and even a few older cars).

Although some light spilled into the rough stone streets from open air businesses, most of the limited lighting was from the few street lights and the head lights of traffic.

So as we're out walking these very old, and run-down areas, I begin to notice that some of the groups milling around outside certain businesses, would rapidly disappear as we approached.

Others would almost stare as we went by, and some even offered what seemed to be "odd" greetings (like, Its good to see you here, Thank you for being here, etc.), a couple even shook my hand while offering their greeting (not my son's or his companion, but just mine).

I asked my son several times, if he knew these people, if they were members, or just in general... what was going on?

He and his companion just smiled and said we'd discuss it later...

Mucho Gusto, was all I said in return... as my son said this was a typical and respectful reply, meaning roughly, Much Pleasure.

It was days later when I was told of an enclave of Mennonites who live in a remote area of Paraguay.

They are seldom seen.

They are of German descent (the men being 6'+ tall, and of course white... and by the way, I'm 6'2"), and they only wear jeans with white, black or grey button-up shirts, and always wear black boots and black hats.

But here's the kicker... many years ago, some small gang decided to cheat the Mennonites, and a short time later, the entire gang disappeared.

Although no one really knows what happened, it started the belief that the Mennonites either killed them or had them killed.

Apparently it is now common knowledge that the Mennonites are a peaceful and fair people, but that if you cross or harm them in anyway... you will be "dealt" with.

Evidently it is considered good fortune to even have them in your general area, due to the lack of law enforcement, as they are looked upon as "peace keepers".

My son and his companion even laughed later, as they told me the moment I stepped off the airplane, upon my arrival in Paraguay, my son's companion turned to him and said, "You didn't tell me your Dad is a Mennonite".

I wonder if there's a new rumor now, that you better not bother the missionaries, as they're close friends of and under the protection of the Mennonites. :lol:

• 3 months later...

my second oldest moves from the MTC to Fort Lauderdale Fla (Spanish-speaking) later this month.

I was actually baptized last month in the Ft. Lauderdale mission district!! I'm very grateful for those missionaries and their parents for raising excellent servants of God.

Thank you!

It was my wife's and mine's great pleasure to assist our sons financially so they could serve missions, but our little family of 4 has only been members of the church for 8 years. The wife and I being 43 when we joined and our sons were 10 and 13. The oldest has been home for about 4 months now and the younger has been out for about 2 months (he's serving in Monterrey, Mexico). Although I'd like to think that perhaps I did something right, somewhere along the way, for the most part I stand by the claim that my sons chose to serve missions not because of the way I raised them, but in spite of the way I raised them. Any positive influence most certainly came from their Mom.