Religious People Confuse Me...

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll put it here.

"We need to know the gospel is true, and then we need to be true to the gospel."

Not sure who said that. I had it written in my spiritual journal. I know that it is not an exact quote either, close--but not exact.

I think this is going to be my new "go to" quote when I need a reminder of what I should be doing. ^_^

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll put it here.

"We need to know the gospel is true, and then we need to be true to the gospel."

Not sure who said that. I had it written in my spiritual journal. I know that it is not an exact quote either, close--but not exact.

I think this is going to be my new "go to" quote when I need a reminder of what I should be doing. ^_^

St. Francis of Assisi said the same thing in another way: "Preach the Gospel at all times, if necessary use words." :)

TG, I think you ought to start a grass-roots campaign against such labeling by those who do not merit the label. Start on the Internet: facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. Then move forward by having an announcement placed in the Sunday bulletin at every ward. Finally, hire some goons to strong arm the belligerants who refuse to give up the title "Mormon".

Good afternoon Tough Grits! I hope you have been well. :)

Should anybody label themselves with the religion they "profess" to belong to?

I think this is a personal choice.

Why did they call themselves Catholic or Mormon? They did nothing, from what I can recall, that would earn either of those labels.

That's just it, you don't know what they really did and how they really worshipped. We don't know why people call themselves something. We can only assume that it has some meaning or significance to them.

For that matter, could I dare label myself a Mormon? Do I live up to every covenant, principle, and doctrine that the label entails?

If you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and you want to call yourself a Mormon you should. I don't believe there is anything daring in that. I don't think you need to live up to every covenant, principle, and doctrine in order to be called a Mormon.

Wouldn't it be better to just state that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Therefore, stating my membership is not only stating a fact, but it is not claiming to be something that others might question.

I believe that stating you are a member of the LDS church is the same thing as labelling yourself a Mormon. In my view and in my understanding of the world and based on what I understand words to mean, I do not distinguish between the label "Mormon" and the label "member of the LDS church". To me, they mean the same thing.

Regards,

Finrock

Do you think you must live up to every covenant, principle, and doctrine to use the label Mormon? I believe that if a person is trying to live the gospel as taught in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints then that person can certainly use the label Mormon if they want to.

I think many people use label's for themselves out of habit and/or because they are in favor of what the label implies even if they don't live up to much the label implies. Others use labels to portray to others their heritage, what they do and/or are interested in with few words.

I label myself a writer even though in the genre I currently write I am unpublished.

I label myself a sailor even though I only started sailing last year.

If I were a chessmaster I would use that label today even though it has been more than 5 years since I have played a game. I am not a chessmaster but am an intermediate player, but mentioning chessmaster illustrates better how that label could be used to denote an achievement and/or level of knowledge rather than something I am currently practicing.

Do you think you must live up to every covenant, principle, and doctrine to use the label Mormon? I believe that if a person is trying to live the gospel as taught in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints then that person can certainly use the label Mormon if they want to.

I think many people use label's for themselves out of habit and/or because they are in favor of what the label implies even if they don't live up to much the label implies. Others use labels to portray to others their heritage, what they do and/or are interested in with few words.

I label myself a writer even though in the genre I currently write I am unpublished.

I label myself a sailor even though I only started sailing last year.

If I were a chessmaster I would use that label today even though it has been more than 5 years since I have played a game. I am not a chessmaster but am an intermediate player, but mentioning chessmaster illustrates better how that label could be used to denote an achievement and/or level of knowledge rather than something I am currently practicing.

Thank you for your insightful post. I appreciate and agree with your thoughts. I guess both sets of my grandparents felt connected to the religions they were professing to belong to. Or maybe they felt pressured by society to identify with something, anything, as long as it wasn't outside the norm (such as being agnostic/atheist). I don't know. It doesn't really matter, I loved both sets VERY much. I was just curious.

Again, I appreciate your words. ~TG

Good afternoon Tough Grits! I hope you have been well. :)

Good evening Finrock. Thank you, I have been well. I hope you have been too! :)

I think this is a personal choice.

That's just it, you don't know what they really did and how they really worshipped. We don't know why people call themselves something. We can only assume that it has some meaning or significance to them.

If you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and you want to call yourself a Mormon you should. I don't believe there is anything daring in that. I don't think you need to live up to every covenant, principle, and doctrine in order to be called a Mormon.

I believe that stating you are a member of the LDS church is the same thing as labelling yourself a Mormon. In my view and in my understanding of the world and based on what I understand words to mean, I do not distinguish between the label "Mormon" and the label "member of the LDS church". To me, they mean the same thing.

Regards,

Finrock

Thank you! I appreciate your point of view. I don't think I would label myself Mormon if I was inactive, but I do not begrudge those who still identify with any religion, even if they are not practicing it. I understand that it is between them and Heavenly Father, just as my membership is between me and Heavenly Father.

I may not fully understand the point of labels without practice or action, but I do understand that I am supposed to be patient and loving. Your comments, along with others, have helped to give me other perspectives to ponder. Thank you for that! :)

TG, I think you ought to start a grass-roots campaign against such labeling by those who do not merit the label. Start on the Internet: facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. Then move forward by having an announcement placed in the Sunday bulletin at every ward. Finally, hire some goons to strong arm the belligerants who refuse to give up the title "Mormon".

What can I say...you truly bring a smile to my face! :lol:

I don't think I would label myself Mormon if I was inactive, but I do not begrudge those who still identify with any religion, even if they are not practicing it. I understand that it is between them and Heavenly Father, just as my membership is between me and Heavenly Father.

I may not fully understand the point of labels without practice or action, but I do understand that I am supposed to be patient and loving. Your comments, along with others, have helped to give me other perspectives to ponder. Thank you for that! :)

I need to add something. If I was physically or mentally unable to attend church, but I still had a true and sincere desire to attend church and to participate in the gospel, I would not consider myself inactive.

However, if I became inactive because I no longer wanted to participate in the gospel, I no longer wanted to worship God, and I no longer wanted to honor any of my covenants, then that is the point in which I would no longer label myself Mormon. Does that make my thougths clearer?

Religious people are the most difficult peole to fellowship with. These forums offer more communication.

All my years of being a christian, they are the only ones that don't want to talk about Jesus Christ. I used to say, 'what has the Lord been showing you?' Blank stare and silence. Didn't know I was out of bounds with such a remark, till someone told me. This is not everyones expierence I hope. Attending three very diffrent churches after giving my life to Christ. One tried to think salvation to death, the other wanted to intertain us, and the third was so dry it blowed away. Nice people in all.

Only found fellowship with a few out of church believers.

What does that say about religion?