"God has **A** plan for you."

Vort

For the past year or so, I have been pondering a sentence or thought I often hear expressed, to the effect that "God has a plan for us." Of course, I have heard this idea my entire life, but I always thought it was referencing the plan of salvation, which is pretty much the same for us all. Lately, I have been wondering if people mean to say that God has a specific idea of how each person's life should proceed, and if you're righteous and seek his will, he will reveal to you what your personalized plan is in his mind.

My knee-jerk reaction is to reject this, but upon further reflection I think there might be some validity to the idea. So, two questions:

1. When people say "God has a plan for you," do you think they are commonly saying that God has a highly individualized plan meant specifically and solely for that person, rather than that just being a reference to the plan of salvation?

2. Do you believe that idea -- that God has mapped out a separate and individualized plan for each person which he will reveal upon faithful request?

Yes, yes, and yes...I think there were 3 questions there. God offers the plan of salvation to all--intends it for all. So, this is a general plan for us. God has particular plans for us--his best. He also has given us free will, or agency. Sometimes we opt for other than God's best. We sometimes call this living within God's "permissive will." Then there are those times we're headed in the wrong direction. If we have ears to hear, God will reveal the correction for us.

As an example, God wanted me to be a prison chaplain. When I was studying in Bible school, I was planning to return to Korea to do university mission work. Half way through my program, God revealed to my spirit very clearly that I was to look into prison chaplaincy. The idea was nowhere on my radar screen. It was a clear God idea, that was confirmed several times.

1. When people say "God has a plan for you," do you think they are commonly saying that God has a highly individualized plan meant specifically and solely for that person, rather than that just being a reference to the plan of salvation?

By and large I think people are referring to something more individualized than the plan of salvation. Though context matters, saying that to an individual verses saying it at General Conference for instance.

2. Do you believe that idea -- that God has mapped out a separate and individualized plan for each person which he will reveal upon faithful request?

The idea of an individualized plan seems to go in hand with the idea of foreordination. I suppose one could figure out only some individuals are foreordained, but the idea that all of us have been foreordained for particular tasks before coming here isn't an idea I have any objections to. That said while I think we may be foreordained to certain things, and there may be an individual plan for us I don't think it is necessarily an all encompassing small details kind of plan.

For the past year or so, I have been pondering a sentence or thought I often hear expressed, to the effect that "God has a plan for us." Of course, I have heard this idea my entire life, but I always thought it was referencing the plan of salvation, which is pretty much the same for us all. Lately, I have been wondering if people mean to say that God has a specific idea of how each person's life should proceed, and if you're righteous and seek his will, he will reveal to you what your personalized plan is in his mind.

My knee-jerk reaction is to reject this, but upon further reflection I think there might be some validity to the idea. So, two questions:

1. I don't know what people are meaning when that say it, but I absolutely believe that the "plan" is the plan of salvation AND our individual plans. If certain spirits were chosen from the very pre-mortal state for certain callings here on earth, then that would indicate to me that we definitely have individual plans/paths/journeys. It does not take away from our agency, as we still have to choose to accept/reject callings, blessings, teachings, and so forth.

2. I think that He will only reveal what he wants to reveal, when He wants to reveal it, despite how faithful or sincerely we may ask. I think He is already revealing to us daily what we should be doing and striving for through scriptures, personal revelation, and the counsel of leaders. I don't think that everybody will be allowed to know their whole plan from beginning to end just by asking. I think He reveals our plan/path line upon line, or step upon step as in the case of a journey. I also think that He gives us as much as we can handle and as much as we are ready to know to strengthen us, test us, and bless us. I know things now, that I did not know when I first joined the Church. I can look back and see that I was not ready to know certain things 15 years ago, whereas now I am able/ready to accept the accountability and responsibility of that knowledge.

The cliche that irritates me the most, is that, when people speak of events, positive or negative in their lives, they speak as if it was all part of The Plan. Its as if, they default themselves to believing that every event in their life was orchestrated just to test them. To me, its sad to see them speak as if everyone and everything is designed for their sole purpose, conveniently forgetting that they are not alone in this world. Besides, if every event that occurred to us was part of The Plan, what about the other 7 billion people. Were they all designed for your test? Stop being so selfish.

Or even worse, there is an eternal companion that will be put in my path and thank you God for designing this person solely for my benefit. Spare me. I suppose for some people, its too much to think that their path is impacted by random events, their decisions and other peoples decisions.

I see The Plan, as God made the chessboard and the pieces, but we move ourselves, in the moves allotted to us by life. Gods influence, if you want to call it, is rarely felt, but when it is, its as subtle as a breeze. Heck, if you want, you can throw yourself off the board and be creative. Who knows, you may find the love of your life in the shavings on the floor, despite all the pawns staring down at you with pity.

We plan our own lives, based on input and experience. The plan that is spoken of is simply the basic plan of becoming better than what we were before. A father and mother wants their child to be as happy as they can only imagine, but its the child's purpose to find that happiness for themselves.

Edited by Praetorian_Brow

It takes a strong man to make the best of it when the Lord tells him he should be in jail. ^_^

Who's going to argue with the 70-year old Catholic nun looking at this Pentecostal preacher boy (then 34) and saying (location was the federal prison hospital in MO): "You belong here!" :cool:

1. I, personally, believe when individuals suggest this they are identifying both ideas. God has a plan individually and collectively. I believe the temple highlights an individual plan.

2. Yes, the more I study, the more I read, the more I believe we all have an individual plan, by which The Lord reveals line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little... (you know the end of the verse).

In scripture, I recognize three prominent plans: Adam, Joseph in Egypt, and Moses (others Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith). Others, may not have an individual plan mapped out; however, through faith, they receive personal covenants and as a result of personal covenants their lives, so to speak, receive an individualized plan (Abraham).

Joseph in Egypt, specified to his brothers, "Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life." The verse appears clear that The Lord was directly involved with Joseph being sent to Egypt in order to preserve Israel and his family -- an individual plan.

It was prophesied long before Moses was born that a deliverer would come and deliver them from the bonds of the Egyptians. Our Lord, was destined and ordained during the council in Heaven, provided his individual plan (only he could fulfill), and thank goodness he did not shrink.

I don't believe we would receive it however upon request, but upon obedience to living upon every word which prodeedeth from the mouth of God.

1. I think for me when Ive heard it, it feels and seems like the person is referencing personal individualized plan.

2. I agree there is a plan and that after a period of time this is revealed to us based on faithfulness. however I see it as one receiving their patriarchal blessing, and as time goes on just the major daily life things(ie we should move here, i should leave this job, i should go to this school, etc.) and even smaller things like going and checking on my wife(she ends up needing some help), or the bank account(almost forgot to pay rent), or whatever. I think this fits the idea that in the very moment the Lord will reveal what we should speak(or in these cases what we need or should do).

I don't think though that everything is revealed to us obviously. Why do we have this trial, we do we struggle with that? Those questions should be answered through the argument that we are living faithful and now desire to receive the next phase of our plan, therefore we should receive it. That just feels so wrong to me on so many levels.

I dont think God has one specific plan either. Otherwise we'd have soulmates right? President Kimball denounced that concept. More likely there are many options out there and based on our choices, we prepare ourselves to receive certain blessings. Oncce received, our continued choices will dictate which options or path/plan that we will receive in the future.

No doubt on some level God can foresee what we will do. If we consider the infinite concern and involvement God has in our life, it may help us see how he cares for us. I would not call this a plan, but in any case this is about as far as I would take it.

Of course God cares for you, and yes he will direct your path, but don't use this idea of an individualized plan as any sort of guide. Can you imagine God telling me the path in advance... James, date this girl, now dump her. Now go to school here. Now transfer to a different school. Now read this scripture and give this talk. Now finish your degree. Now go to the singles ward here. Now choose this career path. Now you wont find a job for a while so work here instead. Etc. etc..... Can anyone plot a course based on such a circuitous path? Does this help me reach my goal?

Such thinking can be taken to extreeme. I remember a person claiming that the sins they had committed were part of their "plan". That God expected them to commit the sin. They appeared, from my perspective, to be excusing themselves because of this.

A plan implies a clear direction and course. God is not the author of confusion and does not vary from that which he has said. "Behold the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel" (2 Ne 9:41) This is the plan I am following. Because it is so straight and narrow I know when I have stepped of the path and I know what it takes to get back on it.

For those of you who disagree don't worry, on my way up the straight and narrow I will wave and smile at you individualized path followers lost in the mists of darkness.

Edited by james12

No doubt on some level God can foresee what we will do. If we consider the infinite concern and involvement God has in our life, it may help us see how he cares for us. I would not call this a plan, but in any case this is about as far as I would take it.

Of course God cares for you, and yes he will direct your path, but don't use this idea of an individualized plan as any sort of guide. Can you imagine God telling me the path in advance... James, date this girl, now dump her. Now go to school here. Now transfer to a different school. Now read this scripture and give this talk. Now finish your degree. Now go to the singles ward here. Now choose this career path. Now you wont find a job for a while so work here instead. Etc. etc..... Can anyone plot a course based on such a circuitous path? Does this help me reach my goal?

Such thinking can be taken to extreeme. I remember a person claiming that the sins they had committed were part of their "plan". That God expected them to commit the sin. They appeared, from my perspective, to be excusing themselves because of this.

A plan implies a clear direction and course. God is not the author of confusion and does not vary from that which he has said. "Behold the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel" (2 Ne 9:41) This is the plan I am following. Because it is so straight and narrow I know when I have stepped of the path and I know what it takes to get back on it.

Maybe it is all in the understanding or interpretation of the word "plan".

I have two kids. I cannot make their choices for them, but I can guide them, instruct them, love them, and even discipline them on a unique, one-on-one basis.

Some things are general, and not individualized. For example, no TV, computer, or gaming on school nights. Simple, easy. Rule applies to both kids with no individualization.

However, there are other situations in which we do have to be individualized in our instruction, our interaction, and our discipline of our children.

UGH. Not sure I adequately explained my thoughts. Trust me, my thoughts make so much sense in my head. :lol:

For those of you who disagree don't worry, on my way up the straight and narrow I will wave and smile at you individualized path followers lost in the mists of darkness.

Um...seriously? :lol: Be careful James, I just might trip you as we walk along on the strait and narrow. Just kidding with you! ~TG

Maybe it is all in the understanding or interpretation of the word "plan".

I have two kids. I cannot make their choices for them, but I can guide them, instruct them, love them, and even discipline them on a unique, one-on-one basis.

Some things are general, and not individualized. For example, no TV, computer, or gaming on school nights. Simple, easy. Rule applies to both kids with no individualization.

However, there are other situations in which we do have to be individualized in our instruction, our interaction, and our discipline of our children.

UGH. Not sure I adequately explained my thoughts. Trust me, my thoughts make so much sense in my head. :lol:

Um...seriously? :lol: Be careful James, I just might trip you as we walk along on the strait and narrow. Just kidding with you! ~TG

Yes, no doubt God treats each of us as individuals and tailors learning experiences to meet our needs. And no doubt at the end of our lives we could cobble all these learning experiences together and could come up with some sort of path we followed. But such thinking is not very useful as a tool to direct us in the future.

Yes, probably the biggest concern I have with the whole issue is the idea of this being a "plan". A plan tells us what to do next but it also charts a path far into the future. It gives us a vision and direction until we have gained eternal life. I would love to see someones individualized plan which will take them all the way into God's presence.

I believe that G-d has an individual plan for each of his children. What I do not believe is that G-d came up with that plan all by himself. As I understand LDS doctrine of a per-existance I believe that as Jesus was called to be the Messiah / Christ we are all given callings which we accepted in the light of knowledge and truth before the world was. Then we spent eons planning and developing our plan to fulfill our callings. The planning was intricate and detailed and then I believe that we met with our father to review our plans. I believe it was possible that on several occasions while we were involved in generating our plans we sought and received counsel from our Father.

I believe this life and our destiny is part of our agency and free will. We are what we have prepared to be before we came to earth. There is nothing in this life that we will or can experience that we were not in full agreement and accepted as our lot before we were born. We are living our own pre-mortal dream. And when we marry for eternity we are marrying the person of our pre-mortal dreams.

I believe that G-d's plan from the very beginning was to fulfill our greatest hope and desire that we have prepared for an eternity.

The Traveler

I believe this life and our destiny is part of our agency and free will. We are what we have prepared to be before we came to earth. There is nothing in this life that we will or can experience that we were not in full agreement and accepted as our lot before we were born. We are living our own pre-mortal dream. And when we marry for eternity we are marrying the person of our pre-mortal dreams.

I believe that G-d's plan from the very beginning was to fulfill our greatest hope and desire that we have prepared for an eternity.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't believe everyone chose their handicaps or that your spouse is arranged for you in some kind of pre-dream state.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't believe everyone chose their handicaps or that your spouse is arranged for you in some kind of pre-dream state.

I will in return give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't believe that G-d forced certain “unlucky” individuals with their handicaps without any choice in the matter? Or that you are anyone had any say concerning something as important or trivial (depending on your view of such things) as an eternal spouse - leaving such things to various levels of chance in this live?

According to Alma chapter 13 there was a pre-mortal plan for some to hold the priesthood - and with everything you understand concerning family and that a temple marriage is the beginning of the establishment of a Celestial Kingdom - that there was no pre-mortal planning of such things? Really?

The Traveler

Good evening Vort. I hope you are well! :)

I believe that the plan for us is individualized.

This quote from President Monson speaks to the idea of Heavenly Father being individually involved in directing our life:

I bear my testimony to you that this work is true, that our Savior lives, and that He guides and directs His Church here upon the earth. I leave with you my witness and my testimony that God our Eternal Father lives and loves us. He is indeed our Father, and He is personal and real. May we realize and understand how close to us He is willing to come, how far He is willing to go to help us, how much He loves us, and how much He does and is willing to do for us.”

To me this is telling me that Heavenly Father's plan for me is more individualized and personal than I realize. He is willing to be personal and close with me. I understand this to mean that in addition to my general adherence to the plan of salvation, God does and is willing to show me personally what I need to do in life to become pure. Also, President Monson's words seem to be telling me that just as we can expect to have a close and personal relationship with our mortal father, we should also expect that God the Father wants to be and is willing to be as close and as personal with Him as we are ready to stand. The Plan of Salvation encompasses the truth that our Father in Heaven wants to, can, and does personally direct and guide our lives because He has "A" plan for each of His diverse children.

Regards,

Finrock

I think this topic has managed to frustrate my mother. I once told her I felt I would have 4 children. Then I only had 2. She really freaked out when I told her I was done with 2. She thinks there are two souls floating around up there that had their lives screwed up because they were not born to me.

I suppose if individual plans were mapped out and given to us in detail, it could work to our condemnation. But since we don't know exactly "what to do" all the time, we are not condemned when we just try our best.

I think this topic has managed to frustrate my mother. I once told her I felt I would have 4 children. Then I only had 2. She really freaked out when I told her I was done with 2. She thinks there are two souls floating around up there that had their lives screwed up because they were not born to me.

I suppose if individual plans were mapped out and given to us in detail, it could work to our condemnation. But since we don't know exactly "what to do" all the time, we are not condemned when we just try our best.

We are told what to do when we need to be given such direction, that comes in the form of "pray always".

The planning was intricate and detailed and then I believe that we met with our father to review our plans. I believe it was possible that on several occasions while we were involved in generating our plans we sought and received counsel from our Father.

The Traveler

I agree with what you are saying here but it kind-of comes across like you are saying that our current life is one that fulfills our dreams. In a way that is true but this life is a stepping stone to our real dreams. I think it is more accurate to say that we viewed this life as an opportunity to meet the requirements to one day, after mortality, fulfill our dreams. Before I went to college it was my dream to go to college but only so I could have the career of my dreams, not that I would stay in college forever. I think we looked at this life with that eternal perspective in mind, realizing that these are just a set of temporary stewardship that is not in any way linearly reflective of reward for past achievement or future status. It is just a temporary stewardship, that we are thankful and glad to have.

The child that suffers with Down's syndrome is not stricken with that condition as a reflection of what he or she wants for eternity but takes the stewardship in faith knowing that he or she is carrying out God's plan. That level of faithfulness springs them right into the Celestial Kingdom. That spirit doesn't do it with the idea that they would like to have Down's Syndrome but does it with an eye single to the glory of God, for the bigger picture. That is true about any level of suffering, we don't it for the sake of suffering alone but with an eye single to the glory of God, then it is worth it. Just like going to college is for a bigger reason (at least for most).

I agree with what you are saying here but it kind-of comes across like you are saying that our current life is one that fulfills our dreams. In a way that is true but this life is a stepping stone to our real dreams. I think it is more accurate to say that we viewed this life as an opportunity to meet the requirements to one day, after mortality, fulfill our dreams. Before I went to college it was my dream to go to college but only so I could have the career of my dreams, not that I would stay in college forever. I think we looked at this life with that eternal perspective in mind, realizing that these are just a set of temporary stewardship that is not in any way linearly reflective of reward for past achievement or future status. It is just a temporary stewardship, that we are thankful and glad to have.

The child that suffers with Down's syndrome is not stricken with that condition as a reflection of what he or she wants for eternity but takes the stewardship in faith knowing that he or she is carrying out God's plan. That level of faithfulness springs them right into the Celestial Kingdom. That spirit doesn't do it with the idea that they would like to have Down's Syndrome but does it with an eye single to the glory of God, for the bigger picture. That is true about any level of suffering, we don't it for the sake of suffering alone but with an eye single to the glory of God, then it is worth it. Just like going to college is for a bigger reason (at least for most).

I like your analogy about going to college - I went to college for a lot more than just and education. I also went for the "college experience" and social life. I went to study some things that were not a part of my Life's work because I wanted to expand my understanding of things. Thus I took classes like acting (in which I did very poorly) music, history, economics, and many others which added a year and a half to my time at college. I was involved in a lot of extra curricular activities - I even joined a fraternity.

I was at BYU and was called before standards 3 times - but one time was not really me but another student with my same name. I also was involved in broadcasting a underground radio station. It was a lot of fun outsmarting the FCC - we never got caught the entire time we were broadcasting for 3 years. I was involved in stealing the pendulum from the Eyring science center and the wagon wheel football trophy from our brother fraternity at Utah State. I also filled the quad with foam from the fountain at the admin building (this even made national news and resulted an a hefty fine).

I knew there were things that I should not have done but I felt that if I got caught I would pay my dews and that it would not be all that bad. When I met my wife - things changed a lot. She is an no nonsense gal but to this day she says I was worse to raise than all our other children.

The point is that I believe many looked at this life as and incredible opportunity. From scripture we also learn that some were born - even blind for the singular reason to be healed by Jesus. That is impressive - I believe that they did so with complete agency and free will. I believe that there are many greater souls than myself that did exactly as you said - plan a life with a eye single to the Glory of G-d. I believe that there are some - like me that intended to get extend experience from what we learned in this life -- but still intended to include G-d as well. And there were some that have gone even farther despite warnings that it might not turn out so well but we did know that Jesus would pay for our all our sins. I have no doubt that every person born to this earth will be grateful to Jesus - I know for sure I am and like the Apostle Paul - when I grew up - I put away my childish things; or at least most of them. :D

The Traveler

I was at BYU and was called before standards 3 times - but one time was not really me but another student with my same name. I also was involved in broadcasting a underground radio station. It was a lot of fun outsmarting the FCC - we never got caught the entire time we were broadcasting for 3 years. I was involved in stealing the pendulum from the Eyring science center and the wagon wheel football trophy from our brother fraternity at Utah State. I also filled the quad with foam from the fountain at the admin building (this even made national news and resulted an a hefty fine).

Thats hilarious. National news... I wanna party with you man.

I like your analogy about going to college - I went to college for a lot more than just and education. I also went for the "college experience" and social life. I went to study some things that were not a part of my Life's work because I wanted to expand my understanding of things. Thus I took classes like acting (in which I did very poorly) music, history, economics, and many others which added a year and a half to my time at college. I was involved in a lot of extra curricular activities - I even joined a fraternity.

I knew there were things that I should not have done but I felt that if I got caught I would pay my dews and that it would not be all that bad. When I met my wife - things changed a lot. She is an no nonsense gal but to this day she says I was worse to raise than all our other children.

The point is that I believe many looked at this life as and incredible opportunity. From scripture we also learn that some were born - even blind for the singular reason to be healed by Jesus. That is impressive - I believe that they did so with complete agency and free will. I believe that there are many greater souls than myself that did exactly as you said - plan a life with a eye single to the Glory of G-d. I believe that there are some - like me that intended to get extend experience from what we learned in this life -- but still intended to include G-d as well. And there were some that have gone even farther despite warnings that it might not turn out so well but we did know that Jesus would pay for our all our sins. I have no doubt that every person born to this earth will be grateful to Jesus - I know for sure I am and like the Apostle Paul - when I grew up - I put away my childish things; or at least most of them. :D

The Traveler

Thanks for your comments!

The failure of the metaphor though is that in this life, experiences alone may not be long lasting or have any eternal significance. It is only those that are done with the right intent that have eternal significance. Building treasures in heaven is different than building earthly treasure. Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish the two but we do believe that there are some pursuits that may seem outwardly positive pursuits but turn out to be "earthly treasure" pursuits only. They can seem momentarily positive and worthwhile but in the end they turn to dust. It is only when one maintains an eternal perspective and an eye single to the glory of God, which allows God to instruct a person as to which pursuits are worthwhile, then we can really build those eternal treasures. I think many will be surprised by how much of their "hard work" directed towards earthly pursuits turn to dust in the end and realize how much time and effort went towards the wrong pursuits in this limited time we have here.

Of course, the process of repentance by definition is done with an eye single to the glory of God and has long lasting significance. So failed pursuits can be turned to some good. But, I think it is always a better use of time to start out with the heavenly pursuits.

I think it all comes down to whether the experiences are for self fulfillment or are they for some greater good which is what having an eye single to the glory of God entails.

Thanks for your comments!

The failure of the metaphor though is that in this life, experiences alone may not be long lasting or have any eternal significance. It is only those that are done with the right intent that have eternal significance. Building treasures in heaven is different than building earthly treasure. Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish the two but we do believe that there are some pursuits that may seem outwardly positive pursuits but turn out to be "earthly treasure" pursuits only. They can seem momentarily positive and worthwhile but in the end they turn to dust. It is only when one maintains an eternal perspective and an eye single to the glory of God, which allows God to instruct a person as to which pursuits are worthwhile, then we can really build those eternal treasures. I think many will be surprised by how much of their "hard work" directed towards earthly pursuits turn to dust in the end and realize how much time and effort went towards the wrong pursuits in this limited time we have here.

Of course, the process of repentance by definition is done with an eye single to the glory of God and has long lasting significance. So failed pursuits can be turned to some good. But, I think it is always a better use of time to start out with the heavenly pursuits.

I think it all comes down to whether the experiences are for self fulfillment or are they for some greater good which is what having an eye single to the glory of God entails.

I do not disagree. But for me there is a slightly different perspective. I believe we should really enjoy what we do. If we are enjoying what we are doing almost always we are having fun doing so. There may be exceptions and I have found a few. Example; hunting down a criminal or defending someone from a criminal. In general I do not like dealing with people attempting to do bad or evil things. I do not like being even within 100 feet of someone smoking or drunk. To name a few. There are some sacrifices that I will make if necessary but for the most part - if I believe is someone is going to be involved is something - they aught to make it "interesting".

So if asked to talk in church - you might as well make the talk interesting and fun; along with all the dry doctrine stuff. It kind of helps the HP getting through sacrament meeting awake. :D

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler