Margaret Thatcher dies

pam

From my perspective in the UK she certainly divided the nation - feelings run very high concerning Thatcher and not always positive!!! It is sad she has passed on but believe me there will be plenty of people in the UK who will not be mourning her

That's sad, but not surprising that someone who stood for what is right is not missed by those who don't agree with her.

Whenever you take a stand on any given issue you 'build a house' in the example given by the Savior. When you build a house, you establish a fixed condition or situation. Because a house cannot move, the effects of nature will come to test the strength of the house. It's not because the house is necessarily good or bad, but because of its fixed nature that it faces opposition.

In Christ's example, houses built on firm foundations of truth will stand against the wind and rain, whereas houses built upon social convention, political expediency, etc. will not bear against the wind and rain.

Time is what is required to determine where one has built their house. See how the structure weathers the challenges it faces.

Good riddance. She ruined the lives of millions of people, and I feel like pseudo-feminists who praise her are either

a) Rich.

b) Not British.

I am neither rich and I am English. I am a female, but would feel the same if she were male. I loved her. She turned our country around when it was going through some of it's darkest stages in the modern world. I remember the strikes, the rubbish not being collected, power cuts, bodies not being buried in the 70s etc etc. She changed that and brought accountability and responsibility. The communities and industries that were destroyed would have done so anyway through time. Industry evolves. She allowed people to become part of the free market. Basically, told people they need to learn to stand on their own two feet instead of relying on the Government to provide for them.

My dad lost his job during this time and was then able to move on and start his own business after learning new skills. It provided a better living for him than what he was doing previously.

My Dad had his biggest struggles financially during the Reagan years. The rise of the yuppies and corporate slimming where businesses replaced whole departments of loyal experienced people like my father. But my father always supported Reagan 100% because of the principles he stood for.

Good riddance. She ruined the lives of millions of people, and I feel like pseudo-feminists who praise her are either

a) Rich.

b) Not British.

The "pseudo" is very appropriate: I was never Thatcher's #1 fan, but one thing you could never have accused her of was being a feminist. She had no time for any nonsense about "affirmative action". She got where she did by her own merits, and she appointed people based on their own merits.

The assumption being, she stood for what was right :cool:

It's not an assumption. But yes, you and I may have a different understanding of what is right. After all, you can belong to the same Church and disagree on what is right.

I mourn the loss of civility in global society. We used to mourn great people, even if we disagreed with them. We reserved our "glad they're gone" arrows for the likes of Hitler and Stalin--not for "the loyal opposition."

Pop politics nearly always forgets De mortuis nil nisi bonum. Time softens these views except for those whom it shouldn't have ever applied. ;)

I mourn the loss of civility in global society. We used to mourn great people, even if we disagreed with them. We reserved our "glad they're gone" arrows for the likes of Hitler and Stalin--not for "the loyal opposition."

I agree. This conversation has really bothered me. I don't care what you (general "you") thought of her, whether you agreed with her or not. Can we not be so hateful or rude in our speech toward her?

I am completely with you on this PC. It is a portent of the decline of society when you can easily say "good riddance" when someone you don't like passes.

In full honesty, there have been individuals that have recently passed away (both public figures and private aquaintences) that I have felt in my heart "About time they wrap things up here".

I try hard to repent for such thoughts, though it does seem to me to be good to face my feelings for what they are. At the least I can recognize the darkness within myself and begin the process of getting it out of me.

Harsh instruction to come from one's self, but then nobody said any of this life would be easy...

I agree. This conversation has really bothered me. I don't care what you (general "you") thought of her, whether you agreed with her or not. Can we not be so hateful or rude in our speech toward her?

Hugo Chavez thread. It's all in your perspective :lol:

Talisyn, as I remember, the Hugo Chavez thread, introduced by Hoosier, was about his policies and his effects on the people. The discussion got heated, but I do not remember too many posters commenting on what they hoped his eternal destiny would be, or condemning his soul.