Margaret Thatcher dies

pam

I agree that it's sad to see people act like this when someone they disagree with dies. Whatever Margaret Thatcher was she's dead now, she can no longer defend herself from attacks and it just feels wrong to see people take cheap shots at her. Personally while I don't exactly agree with all her politics I still think she was a very admirable and strong woman and I'm sorry she is gone.

people that act in such a way do no harm to the individual they target. All they do is expose the truest, strongest, and deepest contents of their hearts. They only reveal the true character they have developed in themselves.

Yes it's tough to take the higher road and be at least neutral in such a situation, but then, attaining the Celestial Kingdom is not supposed to be an easy accomplishment. Even in this situation, this life is a test.

I agree, the people who denigrate the dead reveal themselves. I, however, think that applies equally in the cases of Thatcher and Chavez.

Yes, you are correct Talisyn.

It doesn't matter if it is Thatcher or Chavez... saying "good riddance" is a sign of social decline.

But, I do not remember anybody saying that in the Chavez thread, although I admit I didn't pay close attention to that thread. What we debated on is Hoosier's admiration of Chavez' policies that supposedly helped the poor in Venezuela. We debated the merits of his policies. Nobody cheered that he was dead, or wished him dead. We can debate Thatcher's policies. Saying "good riddance" should not have to be a part of it.

This is sad. Just recently we had a former leader of our province passed away. He had to make some tough choices that upset a lot of people. But when he retired, our province was the strongest in Canada had had NO DEBT!!! He did upset a lot of people, however, there were very few people who said "Good riddance". People who say these kind of things to people who did what they believed in because they believed it was for the greater good, are the lowest kind of people. Let the dead rest in peace. They only did what they thought was best for the greater good. If you have nothing nice to say about someone who has passed on, then keep your mouth shut.

Edited by Canuck Mormon
Cleaned up language that would get me banned.

I think I get this now. If you like a person who died, that person was great and should be remembered with gratitude. If you don't like a person who died, that person was evil and nothing he did was for the good of the people and it's ok to say he was evil because that's just a debate about policy, not character. But it's not ok to debate policy about someone you liked because that is a smear campaign and yet another example of how society has downgraded. Gotcha.

I think I get this now. If you like a person who died, that person was great and should be remembered with gratitude. If you don't like a person who died, that person was evil and nothing he did was for the good of the people and it's ok to say he was evil because that's just a debate about policy, not character. But it's not ok to debate policy about someone you liked because that is a smear campaign and yet another example of how society has downgraded. Gotcha.

Hey, everybody sees the world through their own two eyes. ;)