Having a bit of difficulty letting go of beer

Jeffmk

Jeffmk, you have a difficult decision ahead of you. Being a member in good standing means giving up alcohol. I know that can't be easy. Smoking is even worse. It took me a long time to kick that one, but I'm happy to say I've been smoke-free for a year and a half. It all comes down to how badly you want to change. You have to evaluate your priorities. Is being a member in good standing more important to you than continuing a hobby you enjoy? If the answer is yes, then use that as your motivation. Find another hobby and use it as a distraction. Above all, do what you truly feel is right. If you do something for the wrong reasons, you'll be doomed to fail.

I do have the cheap beer, while waiting for my homebrew to finish. I do a agree, spiritually beer can definitely awaken people. I can see why it is excluded from the WoW, as it brings upon a prideful nature, well at least it does for me.

Giving up this hobby is difficult, it is a very enjoyable, but I can go on without it. Without alcohol is fine also. I will not give it up to be a member in good standing though, I want to be close to God, to experience such a life.

I don't think I will ever be a member in good standing, I don't think I will ever fit in with the people of the church. I will try, but I know I am socially awkward, and that makes others feel uncomfortable around me. I know that my presence in church will likely be unwelcome by many, but tolerated.

I have sought out God many times in my past. The only time I received confirmation, to an extent that would leave me wanting.. is when I prayed on the BoM. If I could capture that feeling, even just once in a while I would be happy to give up alcohol forever.

Even if it means that I never go to temple, or church. I would gladly give it up.

Well, you don't have to let it go.

You can hold on to it all you want.

Just don't drink it.

:P

(Incidentally, that seems to be the philosophy of at least a few women over at LDSPlanet. Profile says current TR, but half the pics show her in a tube dress holding a Bud Light.)

Guest Godless

Just a thought hobby wise: you can home brew Root Beer too.

I love a well-made root beer. There's a bbq place here in San Antonio that makes their own beer and root beer, and half the time I order the root beer. It's literally the best root beer I've ever had (and the bbq is amazing also).

I miss coffee and iced tea. I give them up in obedience to God, not out of any pretense that there is anything wrong with them. Our faith is different from all others because it is complete. Many seek and serve God, through the glass darkly as Paul taught. Islam and Judaism focuses almost entirely on submission to God. Buddhism on attaining moral perfection, Orthodoxy and Catholicism on the Glory of God, Protestantism on the Word and Faith.

Through WOW we submit

Through Living the Gospel we seek moral perfection

Through Sacrament and Song we celebrate the Glory

Through Meeting and Teaching we study the Word.

The restoration was and remains the union of God's desire for us and the full path home to Heavenly Father. Every cup of coffee I skip is a prayer of Thanks to Him.

What you tell yourself will end up being true. If you underestimate your capability to stop, you will make it even harder for yourself, it might even stop you from getting anywhere. Even if you have a hard time seeing the end goal, tell yourself that you can, and that you will, and then do it. Do it for the next minute, the next hour, then the next day, and the next month, keep making that choice to just do. And then one day you are going to find yourself forgetting what you used to crave, and just occationally remembering, but not really craving.

Now i know that you said that you were not an alcoholic, but even that you are regularly craving it and seems to have difficulty letting it go, tells me that it is an addiction. Even if it is not much alcohol, and not as often.

"Does God ever use sinful things, such as alcohol to draw people closer to Him?"

No. He has told us not to drink alcohol, and he wants us to come to him. Then why would he ever try to draw anyone in with alcohol?

"Are any of you former drinkers, or have experience with people that converted and gave up drinking?"

Yes, i used to drink quite alot. I used to have other addictions and cravings as well, that today i do not indulge in. Because to me i found something that were worth infinitely much more then that.

"What ultimately worked for you or them?"

What i wrote up there, worked for me. ^ Also keeping in mind that when you take one addiction away, you have to fill that empty spot with another addiction that works in your favour. Become addicted to jogging, going for walks, reading the scriptures, singing hymns, start playing an intrument, healthy snacks, theres a ton of things. Its pretty much taking something negative, and turning it to a positive. So that you are gaining in stead of loosing something.

In your case, you like having a drink once in a while, try and find a healthy drink you would like. I would suggest starting juicing if you like to drink something with a noticable effect, because that is something that also will give you a boost and after a while a strong feeling of energy and health. It is ofcourse preference.

I remember when i came back to the church, i had before that stopped drinking and whatnot. By then i were still a smoker, and i reeeeally did not want to stop smoking. It felt like my last sort of comfort, as i had been taking a lot of leaps during that time. I even laughed a bit at it, and said to my family well, can't i just the thát smoking member, thát person that just has this thing with smoking. But i knew that having one foot in the church and one out, would not in the end bring me to the happiness i so desired, to get there i had to commit myself to God wholeheartedly. I can tell you i do not regret it one bit. So you like this beer.. it makes you feel good sometimes. Take a leap of faith, that God knows where you can go to feel brilliant. Trust that he sees the bigger picture, even when you do not.

That is if that is your choice. I hope some of it helped ^_^

Edited by Milluw

Thanks Milluw,

I've decided to give it up. I will be performing alcohol abuse tonight, as I pour my last nine beers down the drain.. bleh. I had decided I would have one last drinking session, and could only stomach three of them a few nights ago.

I look at it this way, it will leave a better impression on my kids, save us money, and keeping with the covenants. Thanks for all of the advice.