Need some advice! - Pregnancy + garments

Emmalade

Going a bit insane here!

I have asked people I know and no one seems to have had this same problem or has any advice to give.

So my problem - I'm only 19 weeks, with our first and I'm not a hippo yet :D, but quickly pre-pregnancy garments were leaving me with red marks (Which I could live with). I usually wear them low - because it makes no sense to me to have a garment waistband a mile higher than the waistband of my jeans.

So I dealt with it up to 14 weeks, but then I started getting awful cramping with anything pressing on the hard bump which is immediately solved when I take them off and wear normal underwear. I have tried wearing my garments in different places but It either cuts into me or gives me cramps.

I read that maternity garments are massive (and they also only come in the two materials - the materials I dislike the most - so itchy!) so I decided to take some advice I read on a forum to buy a bigger size.

Did that...and now the legs are massive, but the waistband seems to be the same size! Not as tight, but still cramping from being tight on the bumpy hard bit . Going up to a bigger size isn't an option cause the bagginess is already ridiculous. (oh what I would give for them to make garment bottoms without a waistband!! Those carinessa(? stretchy ones) don't even need it :P )

Is there even a solution to this problem? :( It's been two weeks now I have been without wearing the bottoms. (It took 2 weeks for the bigger garments to be delivered to me) I would feel bad about not wearing them for the rest of the pregnancy -I already do, but having cramping defo isn't cool with me. Trying to find a solution before I give up. :(

Thanks for any advice you can give!!

I used the drisilque maternity garments and they are great! They are not itchy at all. They're like the regular chemise I used to wear before I got endowed. I got endowed in the middle of the Florida summer heat when I was 35 weeks pregnant with my first child and it was quite a smooth transition. I used the same garments when I got pregnant with my 2nd child also all throughout the summer. It was just fine.

I did have a problem with the legs rolling up but since I wore maternity dresses and not pants, it was just fine too.

Thanks for the quick reply - are the maternity garments really as big as everyone seems to be making out, or can you make them work even if your bump is tiny? I am a size US 4 and only have a little bump but it's still too much for my usual garments and bigger sizes.

Yes, there is one about 30 minutes away, but you have to buy them to try them on of course. I have so many garments in random sizes :P. Sometimes the worker opens a package if you ask and then you can check them out The size I bought off the internet (Cause I get overwhelmed with all those pink packages when I walk into the shop) is one size bigger than normal, so a downsize would be more normal size. But, you do have a point - maybe they could help out with a good size in the shop. :)

If I remember right, the drisilque garments have a cotton panel, so they're not so itchy.

They do have a cotton panel. Personally, though, I found them more irritable because of the seam along the underside of my belly, and the change in fabric texture.

To the OP regarding maternity garment sizing: they're tents. They're made for 34 weeks and up, basically. Jenamarie's idea about buying maternity garments in a size down from normal might be your best bet, except that the waistband itself will still be smaller.

Thanks for the quick reply - are the maternity garments really as big as everyone seems to be making out, or can you make them work even if your bump is tiny? I am a size US 4 and only have a little bump but it's still too much for my usual garments and bigger sizes.

I'm a tiny Asian... before pregnancy, I was 110lbs. I was 165lbs when I went into labor. I wore Petite 32 garments. I bought the Regular 32 maternity (didn't come in petite then). I started wearing maternity garments at 16 weeks and it was a bit loose on the belly pouch. I could have still worn my regular garments but I liked the roomy belly pouch. And yes, the belly pouch is a different more stretchy material (cotton) so it starts out small and then it stretches. So, after a while it doesn't go completely back to its contracted size. I noticed this after I gave birth to my 2nd son and continued to wear the maternity garments while my belly was smaller but still swollen. It was just fine after I gave birth to my 1st son.

Edited by anatess

It's been 19 years since I had my last baby. I remember during my pregnancies that the elastic band would bother me too. I couldn't stand anything constrictive around my belly. I know I still wore my garments, but I can't remember what I did to alleviate the problem.

I wore them clear through my twin pregnancy. My belly was massive. I just got them big enough to be comfortably loose on my belly. Yeah, they were big in the legs, especially considering my chicken legs, but I figured that was better than the wedgies most women are living with.

• 2 weeks later...

The maternity tops were gigantic on me. I'm 5'4", 116 lbs pre-pregnancy and was 145-ish at delivery. The maternity tops truly only fit me correctly maybe the last two months of pregnancy. I first bought a size 32 (waaaaay too big). The size 30 fit better but still annoying because there is just more fabric all around and garment hemlines were peaking out of clothing I normally wear with no problems. If we have another pregnancy I'll probably buy a size 28 next time to try out.

As far as bottoms go I've mentioned this in another thread but I've had to resort to wearing mens bottoms on occasion. The thin waistbands on the womens bottoms cuts into my skin and drives me crazy. There is one mens boxer type that has a really thick, 1- 1/2 inch cotton waist band that is soft. I just used a size bigger than I normally wear and wore them really low on my waist. I *really* wish they would design a womens bottom type that has a thick waistband.