How to feel Godly Sorrow again?

looking_for_light

I've been having the same problem for 2 years now and I've always felt very guilty about it. I always managed to repent but it sneaks up on me again, and again. I've always been able to feel Godly Sorrow but now I can't and its killing me, I can't find the guilt anymore its gone. I feel nothing now, no guilt, no regret. But I know I should. I know other people have probably had this problem before and I know the process how it gets harder to repent each time but this time it feels impossible. Can anybody Please help me feel guilt and regret again? And especially Godly Sorrow which used to hit my like lightning striking me and humbling me before god.

"Godly sorrow" does not mean you manage to work up sufficient remorse so that you feel sick to your stomach, and if you're not feeling sick to your stomach then, by golly, you're not feeling any Godly sorrow. Rather, Godly sorrow is the sorrow that leads you to repentence. I would suggest that, perhaps, Godly sorrow need not even necessarily involve feeling punched in the gut or deeply ashamed. In some cases, Godly sorrow might simply be a feeling of, "I'm tired of this. I'm tired of being a slave to this. I'm tired of my life always coming back to this. I am sick and tired of dealing with this every day of my life. I've had it. Show me a way out, God, and I'll take it. I'm willing to do painful things or embarrassing things or uncomfortable things. Just show me where to go and I'll go there."

I've been having the same problem for 2 years now and I've always felt very guilty about it. I always managed to repent but it sneaks up on me again, and again. I've always been able to feel Godly Sorrow but now I can't and its killing me, I can't find the guilt anymore its gone. I feel nothing now, no guilt, no regret. But I know I should. I know other people have probably had this problem before and I know the process how it gets harder to repent each time but this time it feels impossible. Can anybody Please help me feel guilt and regret again? And especially Godly Sorrow which used to hit my like lightning striking me and humbling me before god.

Pray to the Lord to be humbled, ask him that he will make your sins plain to you and grant you a true understanding of your behavior. And I agree with Vort, that godly sorrow need not emulate the experience of Alma the Younger, but is that sorrow that motivates to repentance. It needs to be sufficient to cause a change but it need not knock you to your knees.

OP, whatever is ailing you, perhaps the Spirit is waiting for you to take the next step. What follows godly sorrow? If you have experienced "that mighty change of heart," it's time to forgive yourself and see who you are through the Lord's eyes. He sees you as you were, as you are, and as you will become. Choose to take the next step.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Repentance is not about feeling bad, it's about feeling better. Rather than focus on the guilt or Godly sorrow, could you focus on the goal of peace and joy that come from living in the manner the Lord as prescribed?

Fr. Thomas Keating put is this way, "Repent means change the direction you are looking for happiness."

I love that. True happiness and joy are found in the Lord, not in sin...but sometimes we look for happiness in the wrong places.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help I now know what I must do. This time is the last I'm not going back to

old habits once more! =D

I've worked with numerous individuals who thought they had kicked a bad habit, and then they fell back into it again. I think the key is to get back up again when you fall. When we sin, Satan wants us to be discouraged. He wants us to be miserable and hopeless. The Savior on the other hand wants us to be loving, happy, and hopeful. Saying we will never sin again is just simply not possible (though I do recognize that we can rid ourselves of sin and addictions).

Instead of saying, I will never do ______________ again, say "If _________ happens again (which I hope and pray that it won't), I will repent, and get back on track again. I will utilize the Savior's Atonement and continually strive to draw closer to him."

For those dealing with any kind of addiction, I would strongly suggest going to one of The Church's Addiction Recovery Programs. You can find all of the groups at LDS Addiction Recovery Program. The groups are free and anonymous. You do not need a bishop's recommendation to go, you can just show up.

I suggest that feeling guilt & regret has either not been helpful to you, since you're right back where you started, or is no longer helpful to you in moving forward.

IME true repentance is not guilt&shame. Its not avowals or apologies. Its not punishment or being forgiven.

Its doing things differently.

So that none of the above are needed.