Sacrament meetings

Lewisville

Mormons see the sacrament as a renewal of the promises we have already made at baptism. Mormons aren't baptized until eight years of age, but often we have our younger children take the sacrament anyways as a teaching opportunity and/or to get them in the habit. Where a church member has recently committed a very serious transgression, part of the spiritual healing process (as we perceive it) may be abstaining from the sacrament for a time (usually at a bishop's suggestion) as the member re-considers the implications of the baptismal covenant and his obligations under that covenant.

For an adult who has never been baptized, there would be no reason to take the Mormon sacrament and it would probably be inappropriate to do so, from a theological standpoint. That said, no one's going to shout "SINNER!!!" if you take a piece of bread. ;)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Great response, thanks :)

I was wondering, because I attended a church meeting for the first time last weekend. I fully expected to not be offered the sacrament, since I let them know I was not a member. But they (missionaries) offered anyway, so I took it. I just wasn't sure if that was the norm.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Along with what JAG said, since you haven't been baptized yet, the sacrament has no real effect on you since you have no covenants to renew. So really it's your choice to take it or not. There aren't any consequences, good or bad, by taking the sacrament prior to baptism. Once you are baptized the full meaning and utility of the sacrament will come into play and you'll benefit from taking it each week.

Welcome and may God be with you :)

On my mission we had to General Authority Seventies with two different approaches. The first said that we should allow and encourage non-members who are visiting with the missionaries to partake of the sacrament -- a foreshadowing of good things to come.

The other Seventy said, it was inappropriate for a non-member to partake of the sacrament and that we should not allow them.

I am under the impression of the first Seventy mentioned not the latter. If a non-member is not allowed to partake of the sacrament, then children shouldn't either be allowed because they do not understand the covenant associated with the sacrament.

On my mission, to be frank, I watched one of the investigators I was teaching partake of the sacrament, I would dare say when she partook, she recognized more about what she was eating and drinking then most life long members.

In my opinion, if you want to partake then partake, if you don't want to partake then politely decline. If the missionaries ask why, be frank and honest with them.

If a non-member is not allowed to partake of the sacrament, then children shouldn't either be allowed because they do not understand the covenant associated with the sacrament.

The sacrament is not just about the covenants that members have entered into through sacred ordinances but primarily the Atonement of Jesus Christ as mentioned in the sacrament prayers."In the spirit of the sacramental prayers, we partake of the bread and water in remembrance of the body and the blood sacrificed for us." President Faust

Children therefore are already covered by the atonement, there partaking of the sacrament has no bearing upon their salvation. The scriptures teach that we should not partake of the sacrament unworthily. If a non member is not allowed to partake of the sacrament and the sacrament has deep ties to the atonement i find that a little counterproductive. In my opinion i think the only person who can tell another not to partake of the sacrament in a ward is the Bishop. He by office is a judge in Israel.

The sacrament is not just about the covenants that members have entered into through sacred ordinances but primarily the Atonement of Jesus Christ as mentioned in the sacrament prayers."In the spirit of the sacramental prayers, we partake of the bread and water in remembrance of the body and the blood sacrificed for us." President Faust

Great quote, thanks for sharing.

Children therefore are already covered by the atonement, there partaking of the sacrament has no bearing upon their salvation.

I am more jesting while being serious, as such, I want to have fun -- devil's advocate -- with this statement. Our sacrament, is symbolic of our baptismal covenant, and we know that "he that saith that little children need baptism denieth the mercies of Christ, and setteth at naught the atonement of him and the power of his redemption."

As such, then by having children partake of the sacrament, which is symbolic of the covenant we make at baptism and to renew our covenant (a remission of sins), then wouldn't allowing children to partake of the sacrament deny also the mercies of Christ, and set the atonement at naught. ;) (again, I am just jesting)

In my opinion i think the only person who can tell another not to partake of the sacrament in a ward is the Bishop. He by office is a judge in Israel.

Agreed.

Guest Doctrine

3 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen. (Book of Mormon, Moroni, Moroni 4)

Key words, Bless and sanctify, of all those who partake, in remembrance, are willing, ect...

From those words I feel that anyone can take the sacrament, also who are we to say that the non members are unworthy, the gospel of Jesus the Christ is to bring all unto the Christ, not keep them from him. We need to think in ways to do just that, not in way to hold the blessing from others.

The Holy Spirit came to them and asked them to go to church to find joy, and that was there promise to god.

After baptism the promises are different, then after the temple we promise even more.

I guess the saying is true for all things, line upon line, here a little, there a little.

When friends of other faiths join me in sacrament meeting I usually give them a heads-up of what to expect. I tell them those who eat the bread and water of the sacrament do so in remembrance of their Lord and to renew their covenants.

No one has asked me for further clarifications on whether or not they qualify to partake.

someone cited the Church Handbook of Instructions on this before. If I recall correctly it said that the sacrament is to be offered to everyone in attendance and nobody is to be denied. If the bishop has met with someone and decided they ought to refrain for a time that is between them alone, and it is thus up to the individual to decline the offering.

Nowhere in scripture, or handbook can I ever recall the very idea that nonmembers are 'unworthy' of the sacrament. The very idea smacks of pride and haughtiness to me.

Great response, thanks :)

I was wondering, because I attended a church meeting for the first time last weekend. I fully expected to not be offered the sacrament, since I let them know I was not a member. But they (missionaries) offered anyway, so I took it. I just wasn't sure if that was the norm.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

I just wanted to point out something that no one else has so far, we offer everyone the sacrament, even to people we know shouldn’t be taking the sacrament, like someone that is excommunicated, since the person that is delivering the sacrament shouldn’t judge if that person does partake.

Sometimes, people are worried that taking the sacrament might make them mormon when they haven't made that choice. Not so. The sacrament is about renewing covenants we made at baptism. And you can't really renew covenants you haven't made.

I've suggested to non-lds folks to make whatever decision they feel comfortable with. Some folks have said it helps them center and focus on the spiritual aspects of our sacrament meetings. Some folks prefer to not do it, as they're not LDS. Both answers are fine with me.

3 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen. (Book of Mormon, Moroni, Moroni 4)

Key words, Bless and sanctify, of all those who partake, in remembrance, are willing, ect...

From those words I feel that anyone can take the sacrament, also who are we to say that the non members are unworthy, the gospel of Jesus the Christ is to bring all unto the Christ, not keep them from him. We need to think in ways to do just that, not in way to hold the blessing from others.

The Holy Spirit came to them and asked them to go to church to find joy, and that was there promise to god.

After baptism the promises are different, then after the temple we promise even more.

I guess the saying is true for all things, line upon line, here a little, there a little.

I think I'm just a smidge more hard-nosed about it. As one eats, one "witness[es] unto [God] that [one is] willing to . . . keep his commandments which he has given." IMHO, a person who partakes of the Sacrament after having heard and understanding the prayer is promising to live the commandments of God, as expounded by the Church--if not in toto, then at least to the degree that they have been taught to the participant. There may be exceptions on an individual basis, and I recognize that Church policy doesn't seem to make a very big deal of this at present. But as a general rule it seems best to me that a visitor who is not prepared to embrace Mormonism, not partake of the sacrament.

The principle at play, I think, is the same as comes into play with the temple rituals--you participate in the ritual when you are prepared to undertake the covenant that that ritual symbolizes, and not before. I have non-Mormon friends and extended family who would probably find it a tremendously spiritual experience to participate in baptisms for the dead or even the initiatory ordinances of the temple. If "spiritual edification" is the only litmus test for participation in priesthood ordinances, then what (other than the current edition of the CHI) prevents my friend's participating in proxy temple work?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I took the sacrament while I was investigating. I considered it the same way I'd consider the Catholic communion (minus the transubstantiation issue). I needed it. Having the sacrament each week helped me with my lessons. It brought me back to being part of a church.

The missionaries said I could take it before baptism and so I did. Thank goodness.

The first time we went to a Sacrament Meeting (as investigators, and with the Missionaries), I asked them, if we should take the Sacrament.

They said if we would normally take communion (generic Christian term for Sacrament), where we had been going to church, then yes, we should feel free to do so here as well.

Since I'm a convert and don't have the advantage of having grown-up in the church, I'll add (not knowing whether it really makes a difference or not), that sometimes a policy might change or be regional, so for the sake of, "maybe" it makes a difference, this was 8 years ago, and in the Phoenix, AZ area.