Tattoo's

mcgee

Hey there!

I really don't want to go to church for the first time because I'm horrified of being judged for my tattoo's. Obviously people will understand right? (and prior to learning about LDS i was oblivious to the fact it's "wrong".) I honestly do understand why we shouldn't get tattoos, that our bodies are temples from God etc. but are LDS really THAT strict about it? Is there any members of the church who have tattoos? It's the main thing I'm struggling with. Mainly because I know why I shouldn't get more, yet I still want to. That's why I'm putting off my baptism. I want to finish my sleeve! I don't believe it's defacing my body personally. Please give any thoughts, opinions or advice. Are you disgusted that I have tattoos and continue to want more? Does it really define who I am? Is it really that horrible?

I've been told it's like spray painting graffiti on the temple. But I can't help to disagree!

I know that I'm going to just feel like a giant outcast the first time already, as I know lds are GREAT at building community and have that close-ness with each other. But to feel like that AND feel judged. SUCKS.

Wingnut shared this a little while back

{ In The Head of A l F o x }: "Tattooed Mormon"

My wife has visible tattoos, she served a mission and we are married in the temple and she works as a Physician.

I myself am not a fan of tattoos even though I was big into punk while younger. Not having them was more rebellious then having them at the time I guess. But I don't judge people that do have them.

I have a couple friends that served missions and have tattoos.

I really don't want to go to church for the first time because I'm horrified of being judged for my tattoo's. Obviously people will understand right? (and prior to learning about LDS i was oblivious to the fact it's "wrong".) I honestly do understand why we shouldn't get tattoos, that our bodies are temples from God etc. but are LDS really THAT strict about it?

I should be noted that being strict about it and being understanding about how not everyone was raised LDS and that even those who have been raised LDS may have made mistakes aren't mutually exclusive. That said, I'm unsure what you mean by strict. The counsel is fairly clear cut but you won't be excommunicated for having got a tattoo or barred from baptism.

It's the main thing I'm struggling with. Mainly because I know why I shouldn't get more, yet I still want to. That's why I'm putting off my baptism. I want to finish my sleeve!

That you want to do something just means it is a temptation for you. Me, I have no desire whatsoever to obtain a tattoo, but that doesn't mean there aren't other things I struggle against knowing it is wrong but wanting to do it. That you want to put off your baptism so you can continue to engage in something is a little worrisome, but understandable. And that is the case regardless of what that something may be, be it continuing to enjoy ice tea or getting tattoos or to something more serious such as premarital sex (or even extra marital sex). In the end it boils down to the idea that, "I'll live it up for the moment and get the repenting done later instead of now." I find that a dangerous philosophy.

I don't believe it's defacing my body personally. Please give any thoughts, opinions or advice.

Can you explain how your statement of understanding why tattoos are counseled against and the statement of not believing it is defacing interact? Is it a lack of personal testimony concerning the counsel? Or something else?

Are you disgusted that I have tattoos and continue to want more?

Disgusted is a rather strong term. I think you lack a testimony concerning the counsel given and think you should work on developing such a testimony. Spend time in prayer counseling with the Lord concerning your desires and their appropriateness.

Does it really define who I am?

No, but I don't think one single facet of someone can define who they are beyond the most superficial level.

Is it really that horrible?

No, but is that really pertinent? If something is wrong but it isn't as wrong as something else that doesn't justify it. Stealing a candy bar isn't really all that horrible (unless we get into some weird hypothetical) but that doesn't justify it. Wrong behavior, heinous or mild, should be steered away from. The thought process of, "It's only a little bad, therefore it is okay." is a dangerous one, extremely common and one I think most of us fall prey to from time to time, but dangerous nonetheless.

Edited by Dravin

In a word yes you WILL get comments by members. Though if people know that you are investigating or a recent convert they will hopefully be gentle in the approach. But expect it and let it roll off your back. Yes, some members have tattoos. Our home teacher that we've had for the past year has tats on his arms and legs and I never knew until I saw him with a tee shirt at a ward bbq. I'm not sure if he's embarrassed by them but I'm sure he's worried that members will judge him for it and so generally he keeps them covered. I know other members that have them but generally they are small or indiscreet so it hasn't been an issue for them.

I think a lot of people cover them voluntarily but I would be aware that you could possibly be asked to do so if they are highly visable. The culture of the church can be very interesting in regards to a variety of things- beards, length of dress hems, number of earrings etc and having tattoos definitely falls into there. My husband, who has been clean shaven in our ward for the past 10 years showed up one week with a beard. At first it was a fun novelty but after week three I think people thought it might be there to stay. My husband works closely with the bishop and he apparently made some off hand comment to my husband about it in a passive aggressive way. And this was over a BEARD. I wish it wasn't that way but when you grow up in the LDS church many members get very accustom to the corporate dress standard of the church and any deviation tends to make people take notice.

Check out this blog if you have some time. She's a recent convert with tattoo sleeves and makes for an interesting read.

{ In The Head of A l F o x }: "Tattooed Mormon"

A couple of months back, I caught myself staring at a girl's tattoos during sacrament meeting. My thoughts: So interesting to see people in sacrament meeting with tattoos and... what a pretty tattoo (a butterfly on a rose). I admit, there was a tiny bit of "Tattoos are bad!" in there, but it was by far the minority thought.

Sad thing, she caught me looking at her. I didn't feel morally superior, I felt stupid and like she thought I was judging her--I felt like a jerk.

But to be honest, I believe most people won't give you a hard time about your tattoos.

My opinion: no one will ask you to cover it. I have seen people show up in jeans and a tank top (guy) at our ward. People were simply more gravitated to him to make conversation if nothing less. If there are people looking, like Backroads suggested, it may be more out of curiosity or just to look rather than judgment. I mean, it is supposed to be art right? People look at art, and people look at art on your body if it is printed on it. I wouldnt be overly concerned at staring.

I am sure the members in Austrailia are just as kind, loving and accepting as anywhere else. My suggestion, finish the sleeve, dont finish the sleeve... your choice. I dont think the tatoo itself will have bearing on you eternal salvation as much as the way you feel toward obedience now and in the future. I would deifinitely make a decision on what your thought process is going to be if we are councelled to do/not to do something going forward. There are plenty LDS folk who may not 100% understand or for that matter agree with tatoos or piercings (multiple piercings) but who 100% follow the council that we have been given. This could be a large obsticle or a large testimony builder for you.

Pray about it. Be willing and open to the spirit for an answer and search your heart for what you should do. Good luck.

...In a word yes you WILL get comments by members...

...I think a lot of people cover them voluntarily but I would be aware that you could possibly be asked to do so if they are highly visable.

I think that this could happen... but my spidey senses tell me that this probably isn’t true. The same members that would comment on it (negatively) are the same outspoken souls that make everyone else in the room feel uncomfortable with such comments. Those are the same members that would ask someone else to cover their tattoo. I may have a different idea of what being LDS means, but those two items strike me as not it.

Edited by EarlJibbs

A couple of months back, I caught myself staring at a girl's tattoos during sacrament meeting. My thoughts: So interesting to see people in sacrament meeting with tattoos and... what a pretty tattoo (a butterfly on a rose). I admit, there was a tiny bit of "Tattoos are bad!" in there, but it was by far the minority thought.

Sad thing, she caught me looking at her. I didn't feel morally superior, I felt stupid and like she thought I was judging her--I felt like a jerk.

But to be honest, I believe most people won't give you a hard time about your tattoos.

I have to laugh at this a little.

Because a good friend of mine has some of the coolest tatoos I've ever seen. They are very simple and interesting. They actually look good on him. He really thought them out and they don't look like an afterthought or a mess of pictures that most peoples look like. The thing about him though is nothing irritates him more then when people ask him about their meaning. He feels like they are private but if they are so private why have them on display?? If you don't want to be asked about them, why display em?

It's kind of a weird contradition in my opinion.

Anyway..I wouldn't feel bad about staring at them. If they don't want people to look at them locate them where you can't see them.

One other weird dicotomy, is seeing my Elders Quorum President one day working in his yard. He had and wife beater on and he had a CTR shield and letters tatooed on his shoulder. I told my wife and her best friend also has this on his shoulder. Kind of weird...choose the right tattoo...

Edited by Windseeker

I have to laugh at this a little.

Because a good friend of mine has some of the coolest tatoos I've ever seen. They are very simple and interesting. They actually look good on him. He really thought them out and they don't look like an afterthought or a mess of pictures that most peoples look like. The thing about him though is nothing irritates him more then when people ask him about their meaning. He feels like they are private but if they are so private why have them on display?? If you don't want to be asked about them, why display em?

Agreed. I try not to stare too openly at (for example) people who gauge out their earlobes to a ridiculous degree. But if they were to criticize me for staring, my impulsive response would be, "You gauged out your ears as a statement. You didn't do it so that no one would notice them; you did it for the opposite reason. Attention is what you were going for. So don't be a jackass about me staring at you."

As I said elsewhere, I'm not a natural politician (though I doubt I would actually say such a thing unless there were other provoking factors involved).

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned over what people think! Go into the ward with a big smile on your face and an upbeat personality and I'll guarantee you'll make more friends than what you'll be able to count. To those few who may want to judge you and may not want to even associate with you because of your tattoo's, why would you even want to be around people like that to begin with?! Those are only people who will tear you down, not build you up. Go into that baptismal font and come up from your baptism with your head held high and forget the naysayers and the LDS "Pharisees". Enjoy your membership in the church and be around those who will accept you and love you unconditionally. As long as Jesus accepts you, why worry about anybody else? Good luck.:)

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned over what people think! Go into the ward with a big smile on your face and an upbeat personality and I'll guarantee you'll make more friends than what you'll be able to count. To those few who may want to judge you and may not want to even associate with you because of your tattoo's, why would you even want to be around people like that to begin with?! Those are only people who will tear you down, not build you up. Go into that baptismal font and come up from your baptism with your head held high and forget the naysayers and the LDS "Pharisees". Enjoy your membership in the church and be around those who will accept you and love you unconditionally. As long as Jesus accepts you, why worry about anybody else? Good luck.:)

I would take this a step further and encourage you not even to assume that everyone who has a negative reaction to your tattoos is an "LDS Pharisee". Everyone is at a different point along the path to God. Some are young and immature in the faith, and assume that everyone who doesn't take their view of things must be a bad person. Most people grow past this.

I'm in AZ, so maybe I'm missing something that UT Mormons are more aware of.

Also I'm in my 50s and although tattoos were not rare when I was young, they have definitely taken a place in society which they didn't use to hold.

They are common now... much more so than ever before.

Maybe they're just more common in AZ (than UT) or maybe we have more converts here, but either way, there are lots of people in my ward with tattoos.

Both men and women.

Some wear long sleeves, and some have tattoos that can't be concealed (or at least not completely).

No one seems to notice... or care (at least not here).

Maybe some do judge, but if so, they keep it to themselves.

I will also add my 2 cents to the prevailing opinion that what others think, is of minimal importance.

On a side note...

I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "Don't hate me because my sins are different than yours".

I'm certainly not implying that you're a sinner because you have tattoos.

But I am saying that "if" in someone's eyes, you are less than them because you have tattoos... Just remember that no one is perfect, so anyone who would say such a thing, is a total hypocrite. :)

And right there you just describe the same exact mentality as the Pharisees. I stand by what I said.

No, the Pharisees were about power and control of others. They literally did not care whether Jesus was God's son; they simply cared about doing things the way they wanted things done. This is significantly beyond an immature understanding that assumes all contrary opinions are evil.

I have been a member for a year and a half. I have 6 tattoos, and while I don't feel like members judge me for them, there is not a day in my life that I don't regret the decision I made to get them. In some ways, I feel "unclean" and am ashamed because of them- having said that, I do not judge anyone who has tattoos, I'm just a mean judge to myself :(

If I knew as a stupid 18 year old what I know now ten years on, I would never have done it. Yes tattoos can be beautiful, and some of the artwork is incredible- I just wish I had them painted on canvas instead of a permanent reminder on my skin.

I guess it all depends on what you get a tattoo of. A lady who my girlfriend knows lost her 20 year old son in a car accident. A year later, she got a tattoo of her son's name with a flower around it made on her arm. I can't see why having a beautiful tattoo such as that would be looked down on by people in the church. This is what I meant by when I said about the "Pharisee" mentality with some people in the church. Aren't we allowed to live some things by the spirit of the law instead of just the "black and white" hardcore letter of the law?

Aren't we allowed to live some things by the spirit of the law instead of just the "black and white" hardcore letter of the law?

To echo what Vort has said many times, the spirit if the law is often more strict rather than less strict compared to the letter of the law.