Discussion on high priest again

Guest Doctrine

Guest Doctrine

I know this topic has been talked about before many many times but I thought I share this interesting discussion going on in our stake.

It has come to the attention of the stake that men ( age not a factor ) have been asked to attend the high priest group but still remain a elder. So the question was asked what to do, leave them as elders or ordain them as high priest.

The answer is ordain them high priest after they have served in the group for sometime.

1 year-3 years.

And after this time that it is found that the man wishes to return to the elders then he could.

I thought this was a good choice, because it helps them know where they stand and belong and not remain in a state of limbo.

Your thoughts.

Interesting. It sounds like what I remember learning growing up is remembered wrong or policy about it has changed.

The high priest group leader recently began joking with me that I should be a high priest and that his proximity to me could somehow make it happen. I keep telling him that it doesn't work that way and that for me to become a high priest I have to receive a calling that requires me to be ordained a high priest.

I am probably the oldest elder in the elders quorum although I have seldom gone because I usually have callings that keep me else where during elders quorum meetings.

As I contemplate the ordination of an elder or a high priest I often reflect that the priesthood is not a right of passage; thus, an ordination should reflect a person's worthiness to serve, lead, be an example, and a person who is willing to serve the Lord unto the end.

I, myself, am particularly bothered when I see brethren ordained to the office of a high priest who have not shown, by the fruits of their labor, that they are worthy. In other words, brother so-and-so is now 45 and then the question "should we ordain him a high priest"? However, brother so-and-so never does his home teaching, he isn't receptive to serving in callings, etc...

When I think of becoming a high priest I think of Abraham 1: 1-2. Abraham sought after these blessings with all diligence, he desired knowledge and in order to obtain knowledge he desired greater righteousness.

IMHO, people should only be considered for the office of a high priest if they have shown similar fruits as did Abraham -- they study -- they desire greater righteousness -- they can be called to lead at anytime -- and they are an example to the elders of what priesthood service is about.

However, the stake president is the only authorized servant in a stake to issue such a call. Up to them.

The high priest group leader recently began joking with me that I should be a high priest and that his proximity to me could somehow make it happen. I keep telling him that it doesn't work that way and that for me to become a high priest I have to receive a calling that requires me to be ordained a high priest.

75% correct. A stake president, if inspired or feels necessary, may call a brother to be ordained a high priest should he feel the brother will honor the ordination.

If I am understanding correctly, there must be a number of high priests in a ward in order for the ward to remain a ward. In our ward, we had a number of high priests pass away, thus the stake president asked our bishop to recommend names of who he thought should be ordained as high priests.

At what age would you allow someone then to attend the high priest meetings? Could a 20 year old return missionary attend the high priest group, ask to serve and then when they are 21 be ordained to be a high priest? Simply because the person chooses?

I guess being a high priest is very much different that the other offices of the priesthood in the fact that you progress through the other offices by age and worthiness. Where as the office of high priest normally comes with a calling. Along with the office of the seventy and so on? So at what point at being a high priest do we feel that we should move on to the next office?

At what age would you allow someone then to attend the high priest meetings? Could a 20 year old return missionary attend the high priest group, ask to serve and then when they are 21 be ordained to be a high priest? Simply because the person chooses?

I guess being a high priest is very much different that the other offices of the priesthood in the fact that you progress through the other offices by age and worthiness. Where as the office of high priest normally comes with a calling. Along with the office of the seventy and so on? So at what point at being a high priest do we feel that we should move on to the next office?

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. In the temple when we do the work for the dead men get ordained to the priesthood and made Elders.

Clearly that is all that is required. So everything naturally progresses for the living men to reach that and then it also stops.

All the other offices are optional. While they are necessary for the work and the church organization they are not necessary for the individual.

I was ordained a High Priest at the age of 37 with no specific calling at the time. A year later, our branch formed a High Priest Group of which I was the 1st assistant. The way that I have seen it work is that if the elder is older than the majority of the other elders and the Bishop thinks that he would be more comfortable in the older High Priest Group, then he is asked to attend. Not always are they ordained. My father-in-law is in his late 60's and still an elder, but he has attended the High Priest Group for many years. He will probably never be ordained a High Priest due to mental issues, but he will always attend the Group.