Guys, where is a good place to get inexpensive suits

Jeffmk

Looking around the ward, everyone seems to be dressed in slacks with a sports jacket. At least that is what I think they are called, lol. I'm more of a jeans and button up shirt sort of guy so very inexperienced in this area.

Where can I get inexpensive pants and jacket, preferably machine washable? I'm on a shoe string budget here, and my current outfit is from goodwill, it requires dry cleaning and that is out of my budget unfortunately.

My husband doesn't own a suit, and hasn't for as long as I've known him. He always wears a white shirt, khakis, and a tie. You don't have to have a suit, until you perhaps get a calling that calls for it (like bishopric). :)

Where can I get inexpensive pants and jacket, preferably machine washable? I'm on a shoe string budget here, and my current outfit is from goodwill, it requires dry cleaning and that is out of my budget unfortunately.

If you are only wearing your suit for Sunday it won't need to be cleaned often, you can do a quarterly dry cleaning (or even biannual cleaning) and probably get away with it. As far as cheap, places like Burlington Coat Factory can be a good place to look. Overstock.com isn't a bad place either for a suit on the cheap, just make sure you are comfortable with your measurements as you'll be buying it before you try it. The downside to Overstock is that you may have to wait a while before something your size, and budget, rolls in.

Of course as Eowyn points out, a suit is not a necessity.

If you are only wearing your suit for Sunday it won't need to be cleaned often, you can do a quarterly dry cleaning (or even biannual cleaning) and probably get away with it. As far as cheap, places like Burlington Coat Factory can be a good place to look. Overstock.com isn't a bad place either for a suit on the cheap, just make sure you are comfortable with your measurements as you'll be buying it before you try it. The downside to Overstock is that you may have to wait a while before something your size, and budget, rolls in.

Of course as Eowyn points out, a suit is not a necessity.

I feel a little dirty now :D

I machine wash my suit trousers regularly (even though they technically aren't machine washable), but have never cleaned any of my 4 suit jackets during their lifetime (2-3 years+), and I have to wear a suit 6 days a week.

Edited by Mahone

I feel a little dirty now :D

I machine wash my suit trousers regularly (even though they technically aren't machine washable), but have never cleaned any of my 4 suit jackets during their lifetime (2-3 years+), and I have to wear a suit 6 days a week.

I only dry cleaned my suits once or twice on my mission, though admittedly I had a pair of two pant suits. When my suit would start getting a little funky I'd hit it with Frebreze.

Edited by Dravin

I have about a half dozen suits, where them 5-days a week, and dry clean about 4 of them twice a year. If you are willing to step up a little in price, I believe JC Penney often has classic suits for around $100 (coat and slacks). Sears may occasionally have them on sale for similar prices. Knowing your size is a huge help.

Um...just a thought, but you could buy a well made suit, like Hart Schaffner Marx and it will last a long time and will look and feel great. You can catch them on sale at Dillards sometimes for 50% off...or around $400.00.

I bought my son's mission suits from Jos Banks and was able to get (2) suits with two pairs of pants for each suit for around $600.00....nice wool suits.

With these options you get well made, great fitting (tailored) and long lasting and compared to other really expensive brands...a great price.

Edited by bytor2112

Um...just a thought, but you could buy a well made suit, like Hart Schaffner Marx and it will last a long time and will look and feel great. You can catch them on sale at Dillards sometimes for 50% off...or around $400.00.

I bought my son's mission suits from Jos Banks and was able to get (2) suits with two pairs of pants for each suit for around $600.00....nice wool suits.

With these options you get well made, great fitting (tailored) and long lasting and compared to other really expensive brands...a great price.

I get what you are saying about quality, but that is a lot of money for someone on a very very tight budget.

I get what you are saying about quality, but that is a lot of money for someone on a very very tight budget.

Get what you pay for...maybe DI if he lives in Utah? And we are talking about suits...so $300-$400 is really cheap. I think a Stafford suit at JC Penny is likely $250.00.

Slacks and shirt and tie from TJ Max for less than $100.00.

I have seen some good stuff at JC Penny. Walmart and Target both carry inexpensive suits. They are not the nicest, but they are suits. If you were only going to wear it once a week, you don't have to worry about it falling apart (I would look for higher quality suits for a mission, for instance).

And if you do khakis (or other slacks) and a coat, that makes it less expensive no matter where you go.

I just got my boys suits at burlington coat. Will be going soon to look for a suit for my husband.

Years ago one of our boys threw up on my husband and suit. I took it to be cleaned and they turned us away. lol They told me to take it home and run it through a cold, delicate, rinse cycle. Air dry and then bring it back and they would clean it. I ended up never going back.

My boys make messes of their suits and we wash them regularly (for suits anyway). Cold, delicate, rinse cycle and then dry in the febreze dry clean bags. Lately we've not used the bags, just tumble on air dry, if too wrinkled then we use the steam setting. If the suits are really dirty then I'll use just a bit of oxy and a cold delicate full wash cycle.

I can't make any promises this will work for your suits but we haven't run into any problems yet. lol Of course spot clean between washing if needed.

you can get custommade suits for $75+shipping in thailand. ill have to find my contact, but i also got 6 custom shirts made for $6.67 each. However you pay for shipping. I think for the 6 shirts it was around dollars(shipping). its been awhile so i dont remember the exact cost and this was 3 years ago. It seemed like I paid an average of just under 20 dollars or 15 dollars per(including shipping). so that is way cheap for a shirt. And I havent bought any since then. They are great quality!

Looking around the ward, everyone seems to be dressed in slacks with a sports jacket. At least that is what I think they are called, lol. I'm more of a jeans and button up shirt sort of guy so very inexperienced in this area.

Ask the missionaries in your area. They will know the place with the best quality and least expensive men's attire.

When my son was on his mission in the Seattle area the missionaries shopped at a place in Renton. The place was so great that when my son came home he took a trip back up to WA to buy a suit. He also bought one for my husband. It was only $100.

I was raised with the idea that you wear your Sunday best. If that is a washable shirt and pants from Goodwill - then that is your Sunday best. I would be honored to have you attend with me in my ward (BTW - I live in a upscale area and in an ward that has been referred to as a BMW ward) and you would fit right in and be welcome. Just a side note - my car turns 19 this year and I have thought it might be time to send it on a mission. :D

The Traveler

We actually managed to find a suit for my 15 year old brother at a second hand shop. This suit only cost us a grand total of $2 (they were doing a clearance!) The suit is good quality and not at all out dated. You would be surprised the great finds you come across. Most of my church dresses are from op shops, and generally only cost me around the $5 mark. I like to wear a different dress each week to church. I always get compliments on my clothing from the YSA girls. Its not that I cant afford brand new, I just really dont see the point in paying through the nose for clothing when I can get nice things so cheaply. I even find brand new clothes with tags still attatched in op shops. Its great fun!!