Making Progress With My Family Tree

pushka

Hi,

I've always been interested in tracing my family tree, it probably stems from my involvment with the LDS church so many years ago.

I started searching for my ancestors online in 2003, and at that time I managed to trace some of my father's relatives who still live in Salford, Manchester, England. Unfortunately I lost touch with the woman who contacted me about our connection, so haven't been able to place many of my extra relatives into my tree yet. I am renewing my subscription with www.genesreunited.com and will pay a subs. fee so that I can access others' trees, which will aid me in my search.

Last week I was looking on the site and noticed I'd overlooked a message from a woman in Pontefract, Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK. I wrote back to her after finding that we shared relations. Her grandmother and my grandfather were sister and brother. Through our connection to her family, we found that we were descended from Viscount Philip Snowden, (1864-1937) who was once Chancellor of the Exchequer in the UK and was a leader of the Independent Labour Party for 2 periods also. This was quite exciting news and I have been able to find out much about him online since.

Last night I joined, as a free guest only, www.genealogy.com and www.ancestry.com on which I found 2 posts relating to Philip Snowden and his wife Ethel Annakin. I have posted replies and have also sent emails to them in the hopes that we can all share our family details/knowledge.

After searching on LDSTalk tonight in the genealogy section, I decided to take a look at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp on which I managed to trace some of the Census Return details from 1881 concerning some of my family. I wasn't successful at tracing others in my family, but then I would need to access later dated Census Returns for many of them.

I think it's great that the LDS church has such great History Centres in which many of these records are kept, and I hope that I can learn more about my ancestors as I access that and the other sites.