Mormon opposition to the ERA?

ThatLDSKiD

In US history we learned that the LDS Church was one of the biggest opponents to the Equal Rights Amendment (which provided equal rights for women in many areas and was a primary goal of the feminist movement).

I'm just curious: why did the Church oppose it? How did the ERA specifically compromise our values and standards? How can I justify this, when my classmates and teacher point fingers (yes, this happens in a liberal-atheist town to Mormon teens)?

Thanks for help. Please try to be specific, I just want to be prepared

In US history we learned that the LDS Church was one of the biggest opponents to the Equal Rights Amendment (which provided equal rights for women in many areas and was a primary goal of the feminist movement).

I'm just curious: why did the Church oppose it? How did the ERA specifically compromise our values and standards? How can I justify this, when my classmates and teacher point fingers (yes, this happens in a liberal-atheist town to Mormon teens)?

Thanks for help. Please try to be specific, I just want to be prepared

The so-called "Equal Rights Amendment" sought to do away with all legal difference between men and women. That alone is reason enough to oppose such a foolish piece of legislation.

There are two things that need to be considered here:

1) The Church opposed that specific legislation, not equal rights per se.

From the First Presidency Statement:

"There have been injustices to women before the law and in society generally. These we deplore. There are additional rights to which women are entitled. However, we firmly believe that the Equal Rights Amendment is not the answer."

2) The Church has spent its entire existence at the forefront of women's suffrage and legal equality.

Until the Federal government stripped them of that right, the women of Utah were among the first in the nation to enjoy full suffrage.

Yes- that's right: that which government grants, government can take away.

I'm just curious: why did the Church oppose it?

Because intrusive, abusive, and un-Constitutional legislation is a bad medicine no matter how much they sugar coat it.

Despite all it's lofty promises, the ERA was bad legislation which would have done far more harm than good.

How did the ERA specifically compromise our values and standards?

It would have been an un-Constitutional and unprecedented intrusion into every aspect of the private lives of American citizens and private businesses.

It would have established a broad range of government mandated price-and-wage controls, overturned the last couple of centuries worth of common law (and common sense), and would have allowed government interference into private matters such as the ordination of clergy and parental rights.

How can I justify this, when my classmates and teacher point fingers (yes, this happens in a liberal-atheist town to Mormon teens)?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

If their minds are already closed, you cannot "justify" it to them.

Nor should you be put into a position in which you have to.

Here are a couple of good links which offer the skeptical view of the ERA's lofty promises.

A Short History of E.R.A. -- September 1986 Phyllis Schlafly Report

Mormonism and politics/Equal Rights Amendment - FAIRMormon

Here is the exact terminology of the ERA:

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

The Church had no problem with women having equality of rights. However, the terminology allows anything and everything to do with sex to be equal. This would have opened the door fully to gay marriage, sexual atrocities accepted as norm, unisex restrooms, etc.

Here is the exact terminology of the ERA:

The Church had no problem with women having equality of rights. However, the terminology allows anything and everything to do with sex to be equal. This would have opened the door fully to gay marriage, sexual atrocities accepted as norm, unisex restrooms, etc.

Even without the gay marriage, unisex restrooms etc... the law is fundamentally against the principles of the Church - that man is not interchangeable with woman. Each have their specific roles and responsibilities in the Plan of Salvation so that Man is conferred the Priesthood and Woman is not.