Very shy but very interested and curious about LDS. Stance on vegetarianism, and other questions

Esteemed LDS,

I find the core values outlined very interesting, though am very interested to learn about particular topics (and please forgive me for unlearnedness of these question as I am very new)

;

*Perhaps most relevant to me, I am wondering if there is a stance/view on animals? I am a vegetarian and strongly believe in animal rights, and I know different faiths view this differently (for example some believe 'Unconditional love and compassion is the foundation of our peaceful means of accomplishing this goal for all of God's creatures, whether human or otherwise' whereas some belive in 'human dominion over other species' and that animals exist 'altogether for our sakes'). Is there a LDS viewpoint or is it up to the individual? Is vegetarianism and belief in animal rights permissible?

*Missionary - this is something which is written about a lot, however, I am painfully shy and have severe depression which impedes my poor social skills - so this means I could not be a member because I would be unable to fulfill missionary attributes? Or active missionary work is not a mandatory part and different ways of participating exist for people who are too shy?

*"Modest appearance" - this one I also worry about - how precisely is this one defined? I would never wear immodest clothing skirts always go at least to ankles, etc, however, my hair is unnaturally dyed blue and purple and short in the back (Nina Hagen and Nightwish are examples of females who look "Punk" but are and have Christian values). Would my hair be frowned upon or it would be okay so long as I am conservative otherwise (which I assuredly am)?

Thank you very much for your time.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Welcome zkoc2076,

My wife served her mission in Rio, Brasil and she was a vegetarian growing up and during her whole mission. She now eats chicken, turkey and fish for health reasons but still won't eat pork or beef. There are many vegetarians in our Church and being a vegetrian goes well with our belief in health (Word of Wisdom).

As far as animals, growing up on a farm my parents raised me to be kind to animals. Here are some quotes I found from some of our Prophets.

Humanesociety information on LDS beliefs regarding animals

A true Latter-day Saint is kind to animals, is kind to every created thing, for God created all." —from David O. McKay, "Conference Reports (Oct. 1951), 180 as reprinted in Richard D. Stratton, Kindness to Animals and Caring for the Earth: Selections from the Sermons and Writings of Latter-day Saint Church Leaders (Inkwater Press, 2004), viii.

President Joseph Fielding Smith said cruelty to animals leads to cruelty to humans, is a sign of the absence of true religion, and will be punished by God. “...doing wrong to animals is but a stepping stone to the doing of wrong to our fellow men." —from Joseph F. Smith, in Stratton, Kindness to Animals, 66.

Full PDF here:

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Doctrinal statements, plus historical and contemporary references on animals

Your hair is up to you. I don't think punk styles (except for partially shaved heads) and colored hair are considered that extreme anymore. Also skirts don't need to go to your ankle, I think it's pretty modest if they go to you knee.

As far as your shyness is concerned this scripture comes to mind.

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear - 1 Peter 3:15

I think as your faith grows you will be more comfortable and will find it easier to share the gospel.

Welcome!

Edited by Windseeker

Welcome zkoc2076,

My wife served her mission in Rio, Brasil and she was a vegetarian growing up and during her whole mission. She now eats chicken, turkey and fish for health reasons but still won't eat pork or beef. There are many vegetarians in our Church and being a vegetrian goes well with our belief in health (Word of Wisdom).

As far as animals, growing up on a farm my parents raised me to be kind to animals. Here are some quotes I found from some of our Prophets.

Humanesociety information on LDS beliefs regarding animals

A true Latter-day Saint is kind to animals, is kind to every created thing, for God created all." —from David O. McKay, "Conference Reports (Oct. 1951), 180 as reprinted in Richard D. Stratton, Kindness to Animals and Caring for the Earth: Selections from the Sermons and Writings of Latter-day Saint Church Leaders (Inkwater Press, 2004), viii.

President Joseph Fielding Smith said cruelty to animals leads to cruelty to humans, is a sign of the absence of true religion, and will be punished by God. “...doing wrong to animals is but a stepping stone to the doing of wrong to our fellow men." —from Joseph F. Smith, in Stratton, Kindness to Animals, 66.

Full PDF here:

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Doctrinal statements, plus historical and contemporary references on animals

Your hair is up to you. I don't think punk styles (except for partially shaved heads) and colored hair are considered that extreme anymore. Also skirts don't need to go to your ankle, I think it's pretty modest if they go to you knee.

As far as your shyness is concerned this scripture comes to mind.

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear - 1 Peter 3:15

I think as your faith grows you will be more comfortable and will find it easier to share the gospel.

Welcome!

I absolutely loved your initial post.

A couple of things:

Your hair is your hair is your hair. I grew up listening to Lars Frederiksen, Agnostic Front, the Ramones, Dead Kennedys, and I have had an awful lot of different hairstyles. That's okay.

You can be punk and still be members of the church. Brandon Flowers, lead singer of the Killers, is a member in good standing. Arthur Kane, of the New York Dolls, was an LDS member before he passed away.

Joining the church doesn't mean you give up individuality. Joining the church is about understanding your place in God's plan. It's about knowing what God wants from you and working towards it - You'll stumble at times. Even fall down. Mistakes will be made.

When that happens, just know you aren't alone and don't have to make it without help. :) When we're baptized, we make a promise - A covenant to bear each other's burdens.

The last thing I might give is a piece of advice: Depression is a hard burden to carry. It can make you feel like you aren't good enough, or like there's no point to anything. God doesn't want you to feel you are less important than anyone else, or that you're anything other than His daughter, and that He loves you. If you find yourself facing a crippling bout, don't be afraid to ask professionals for help. We've all been there. We understand.

Is there a LDS viewpoint or is it up to the individual? Is vegetarianism and belief in animal rights permissible?

I completely agree with windseeker's post to you earlier. My only emphasis is on any kind of 'isms' in our lives.

I humbly submit this to you: You can have any diet you choose within the doctrines of the faith. No problem there.

But if you are subscribing to an ideal and choose to lecture others about it, that may be a conflict.

For example: Your congregation may hold an annual BBQ. If you are opposed to any meat of any kind, and choose to oppose this within church meetings... well, it's just not in good taste (pun intended). :)

*Perhaps most relevant to me, I am wondering if there is a stance/view on animals? I am a vegetarian and strongly believe in animal rights, and I know different faiths view this differently (for example some believe 'Unconditional love and compassion is the foundation of our peaceful means of accomplishing this goal for all of God's creatures, whether human or otherwise' whereas some belive in 'human dominion over other species' and that animals exist 'altogether for our sakes'). Is there a LDS viewpoint or is it up to the individual? Is vegetarianism and belief in animal rights permissible?

I believe the stand of most members of the Church is that the Lord has given us the bounty of the earth for our use. And then he commands us to be wise stewards over this gift. So while many will be ok with 'using' animals for food or clothing. Very few would (or should) be ok with causing needless suffering in the animals.

Now admittedly as a vegetarian you might have quite a different standard of 'needless' then many members of the church but your position is not considered 'wrong' just a personal stance.

I've never read that quote before, but I am glad to read it now. I firmly believe that being kind to animals - including not or rarely eating them - helps build compassion. If we can be compassionate to an animal, surely we can be compassionate toward our fellow humans. I was vegan for 3 years and am now mostly vegan - I decided not to be a pain if I went to a member's house for dinner. They can make what they want to make and I'll eat it (except for veal). I regularly contribute to Farm Sanctuary and PCRM and somewhere there is a pig with my name on it, that I saved (via a donation) from being killed after a major flood in my area resulted in a lot of loose pigs. I regularly post notices from PETA, Mercy for Animals, and various veg*n sites on my FB page to bring the issue of factory farming, veg*nism, and animal protection to people who might not think about it, so, you can say I'm sort of an armchair activist, mostly with my checkbook. I don't use the term 'animal rights' because as a lawyer, I don't think animals have rights, but they do deserve protection and fair treatment.

OP, I'm a convert, so take what I've said with a grain of salt. I'm not the authority on LDS behavior. I haven't met any veg*ns in my ward, and I'm in a college town where that style of eating is quote popular. From my personal experience, I don't think veg*nism is very popular with LDS, but no one is going to say anything to you about it.

Re the hair, I'd like to hear about that as well. I have an inactive LDS woman in one of my classes and her hair is a different color almost every month. I like it, but I don't know if she could be active and look like that.

My daughter, Talisyn, has interesting hair colors. Usual a burgundy red but occasionally blue or purple or whatever. She is active. Not a teenager either. Her daughter has some interesting hair colors occasionally as well.

As far as missions go, no one is required to go on a mission. Also there are many kinds of missions available for those who do not feel able to go on a standard mission. As a member just talk to the bishop if you are interested.

Have you read the Word of Wisdom? It has a lot about eating and health habits in it.

From my personal experience, I don't think veg*nism is very popular with LDS, but no one is going to say anything to you about it.

I'd modify that to no one is going to say anything to you about it unless you start preaching it as a doctrinal requirement. You'll definitely get some feedback then.

Wow thank you kindly everyone for all your helpful replies - how welcoming and lovely atmosphere this is I truly appreciate.

I am very grateful Widseeker for the document what wonderful and heartening information it contains. And much respect and compliments to your wife for seving mission in Rio how admirable. I very much like the quote by Joseph Smith 'lose their vicious dispositions and cease to destroy the animal race', and I also think it is very wonderful standpoint that 'animals like humans will recieve salvation' - this I think is a very pleasing and progressive view on animals - it always made me sad that in numerous faiths animals not only suffer unwarranted cruelty, but are deemed unworthy of an afterlife. It is interesting that point about animals being more obedient to God's laws - this was an interpetation of Mark 5:1-20 proffered by Frank Hoffman (on a website called all-creatures.org which is a site about kindness to animals through the scope of Christian morals - hope it is accatptable/not contrary to the rules of the forum to refer to it here) that the swine drowned themselves because animals are godlier and more resisting of evil than humans.

An thank you FunkyTown that is a beatiful and poetic description about individuality and the covenant of bearing each other's burdens. It sounds like a truly wonderful and caring community. I also appreciate your comments about depression thank you. And that is really great about Punk too - thanks for the specific examples! :)

Good that even knee is considered modest enough - my self consciousness makes me hide more than that though :)

Ah skippy740 - that is a true point about 'ism' I see what you mean forgive me if I worded it poorly! I certainly do not intend to lecture about it at all I respect other's choices and have far too much humility and also shyness to impose my views on others! I'd not eat the meat at the bbq of course but I'd never prevent others from doing so or judge them for it.

I do have a sort of complicated realtionship with animals and spirituality though - so it does not sound like it's just a "whim" etc maybe it would be helpful to explain, even if it sounds odd, that I sort of arrived AT spirituality due to my fondness for animals and this (for example the afore mentioned site allcreatures) because with the vegatarian"ISM" what I don't like, about say Peter Singer's famous "Animal Liberation' book, is that it focuses too much on "cold"/"rational" logic economic reasons (eg. he mentions groups that think it is okay to eat meat from bins because then you are not paying and supporting the factory-farmers that exploit the animals) and I think it is too empty of heart/spiritual reasons i.e. a respect of sanctity for living beings as such. And that respect sanctity for beings then influenced my views on other issues related to humans.

And thank you annewandering for the example about your daughter and clarification about missions - though just for clarification, what about door-to door/street talking to people is that similar too i.e. it is not required? I'd most certainly be very keen to contribute to charitable activities of manual labour type if such forms are avialble (for example I voulnteer at a cat shelter), though I do not have confidence nor social skills nor charisma to be "talking" to people which I have much problems doing even on a day-to-day basis..

Thank you again for so helpfully and welcomingly replying. :)

You dont have to be cool and outgoing to be a missionary. :) There are other missions. I knew someone that went on a work mission where he worked on building things. He was a young man. Older people often go on missions where they help with family history related tasks, give tours at various historical places, health missions, etc. Just a lot of different things that need done.

There is a usually a sheet of information pinned on the bulletin board in the foyer of most ward buildings if you wanted to just look at that for information.

There is so much that can be done. :D

We have people in our ward with differently colored hair. Have not noticed anyone treating them any differently.

On a silly side note, I have no clue what my wife's original hair color is -- she's colored it since before we met - nothing wild. I suppose if you get right down to it, its grey now, but what was it 30 years ago???

Doctrine and Covenants 89: 10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.