Multiple Media During Scripture Study

Tough Grits

We read our scriptures together as a family in the evening, usually after eating dinner together.

Usually we each sit in our spots around the table and take turns reading aloud from our individual scriptures.

We stop and ask/answer questions and we talk about what is going on in the verses and how we can relate or apply it to our lives.

It takes awhile. We have been reading the Book of Mormon since last year and we are only in Alma. We just got to the part about Abish and the king and queen.

Well, we have found something that the kids really like, and it goes a lot faster!

I use my phone to play to the audio scriptures as we each read along in our own scriptures with the audio. I pause the audio when somebody has a question or comment, or when me or dad want to elaborate on what we read/heard.

It is working great! The voice on the audio reads rather fast, and we are able to move through the scriptures much faster, without losing the opportunity to discuss and digest what we have read.

We also like that we can hear how to correctly say names and certain words. Apparently, I have been saying Abish incorrectly! LOL

I access the audio scriptures on my phone either through the Mormon Channel app or through the Church app (the app with the golden figure of the angel Moroni on the front).

Anyway, just thought I would share. The kids really love this new way of family scripture study.

If it works for your family, that's great. We have always read our scriptures aloud with everyone taking turns. That has worked well for our family. Among other things, it was instrumental in teaching our children to read; the oldest read fluently by age five, and each of the others read fluently by four. It also got them used to reading and pronouncing the sometimes-difficult English of the Book of Mormon, a useful skill in any Church-related scripture reading situation such as Sunday school and seminary.

If it works for your family, that's great. We have always read our scriptures aloud with everyone taking turns. That has worked well for our family. Among other things, it was instrumental in teaching our children to read; the oldest read fluently by age five, and each of the others read fluently by four. It also got them used to reading and pronouncing the sometimes-difficult English of the Book of Mormon, a useful skill in any Church-related scripture reading situation such as Sunday school and seminary.

(emphasis added)

I agree wholeheartedly! My kids are many grade-levels above their current grade in reading. In fact, both are "gifted" in reading according to their schools (though I hate labels, they are truly talented in reading).

Now, it may not just be from years of reading scriptures aloud, it could be because they have a mother who has thoroughly enjoyed reading books aloud to them since they were infants. It could be because their mother is an avid reader and they always see her reading. It could be because there is a "no technology" rule in our house on school nights for them. It could be because they have to read from their chapter book for an hour every day (except on Fridays). It could be because they are naturally smart. Or it could be because of all of these things. ;):D

However, Vort, I have been dealing with so much nit-picking between the two of them during scripture reading. We get off track sometimes, after discussing the verses, that we forget whose turn it is. Well, with my two, it becomes a matter of life/death and a possible argument just trying to remember whose turn it was. <sigh>

Also, my daughter (12) likes to read the scriptures with theatrical quality reading, and my son (10) likes to speed-read. It was just getting to the point that I couldn't focus on the message of the verses for trying to over-look their manner of reading. I seriously have attention problems!

Anyway, since my kids are not in danger of back-tracking on their reading ability, since hearing a "normal" voice reading keeps me from losing the spirit, and since listening to the audio keeps a brawl from breaking out over whose turn it is, I would say that this is good for us!! LOL

We have only been doing it for a short time like this...so time will tell if it will work. ;)

Still, I agree totally with your post. The scriptures are a great way for anybody to better their reading ability.

Oh, tonight we listened to and read along to Alma Chapter 20. I learned tonight that I had been pronouncing Middoni wrong.

My favorite verses from tonight's reading:

20:17-18

Because Ammon stood up for his friend, Lamoni, and because Ammon really spoke plainly with Lamoni's father and cut right to the heart of the matter.

20:24

Ammon clearly values those he loves more than trivial riches or power. He asked for Lamoni to be able to keep his kingdom and for Lamoni's father to not be upset with Lamoni. He also asked for his brethen to be cast out of prison.

20:29

Ammon saw his brethren after they were brought out of imprisonment. I was touched by the words "exceedingly sorrowful" to describe how Ammon felt upon seeing how his brethren had been treated.

We had a really good discussion tonight over what we read. I have really enjoyed reading about Ammon.

Do you know if there is any audio scriptures for Kindle Fire? Reading with family members, that would come in handy. By myself I also enjoy this, "The Book of Mormon Made Easier" part one. By David J. Ridges I just recently down loaded it and enjoy it while reading at night before bed. But it would be nice to get my sister and brother in law back into reading their scriptures again, and thought an audio would be nice.

Thank you for posting. Sometimes I wish all the resources we have today had been available 30+/- years ago when my children were young. They learned to read from the Book of Mormon. Having an audio version which is so easily accessed at the dinner table would have made things so much easier. :)