Hi,

So I joined mainly because I have been dealing with a problem. I was dating this guy for about a year and one day, he told me he had prayed about if we were suppose to be together and he said that he got an answer that told him we were suppose to always be together (after his mission of course). I prayed and got the same answer. However, time passed and we got into some things that we shouldn't have and eventually we split up. I still talk to him and see him a lot and we've been apart for a few months. He tells me I should move on but every time I try or think I should, I get a feeling we are suppose to still be together later in life.

Is this just me trying to hold onto something I can't have or is this god telling me to wait for him? I don't know what to do about this situation anymore. Can any of you help me?

KnowitLiveitLoveit

Many times we may receive a personal revelation, where we interpret it differently than the Lord would have us understand. It may very well be that the Lord was telling you that it is okay to marry this man, not necessarily that this was THE only man you could marry.

There are times when the Lord inspires us, but the agency of others still is something to deal with. The scriptures have many examples where the Lord commands, and someone disobeys, and so other plans have to be made. That's just how some things work.

As it is, it is better to have this young man back off now, rather than marry you and then back off later.

BTW, many years ago when I was ward clerk in a single's ward, the bishop mentioned to me that he had 5 young women come to him separately, each saying that the Lord told her she was to marry a particular man. So, we had 5 girls each believing she was to marry the one man (who was not interested in any of them, BTW). The bishop explained to these sisters that they were misinterpreting the revelation they were receiving. The Lord was simply telling them that this was a good man and each would be happy in a relationship with him, if both the girl and he were inclined to marry.

So, review this inspiration you've received, to see exactly what the Lord was trying to say to you. Perhaps you are reading more into it than is necessary.

Well, the good thing about soul mates, and people fated or predestined to be with each other forever, is that they don't exist. There's no such thing as a match made in heaven, where people will just be together and it's all good.

We create our own soul mates, by walking the paths that God picks for us, and choosing someone who is doing the same thing.

And on top of that, once you find him and marry him, you have to keep working at it. There's no such thing as a marriage that just is fine and works. It takes a lot of effort from both spouses to make one.

There's no such thing as a match made in heaven, where people will just be together and it's all good.

Aside from Vort or Snow's posts, that's unquestionably the most UNromantic thing I've ever read on this site.

Wet blanket!

HJ

Aside from Vort or Snow's posts, that's unquestionably the most UNromantic thing I've ever read on this site.

Wet blanket!

HJ

Henry: Do you really think there is only one perfect mate?

Leonardo da Vinci: As a matter of fact, I do.

Henry: Well then how can you be certain to find them? And if you do find them, are they really the one for you or do you only think they are? And what happens if the person you're supposed to be with never appears, or, or she does, but you're too distracted to notice?

Leonardo da Vinci: You learn to pay attention.

Henry: Then let's say God puts two people on Earth and they are lucky enough to find one another. But one of them gets hit by lightning. Well then what? Is that it? Or, perchance, you meet someone new and marry all over again. Is that the lady you're supposed to be with or was it the first? And if so, when the two of them were walking side by side were they both the one for you and you just happened to meet the first one first or, was the second one supposed to be first? And is everything just chance or are some things meant to be?

I am a big fan of Shrek II and Shrek III. Ya know, the movies they made AFTER they ride off in the sunset for their happily ever after? When it dawns on everyone that a grumpy antisocial violent ogre married a primadonna sheltered princess with a lot of baggage? There is much reality in those movies.

When they make me emperor of the church youth programs, those movies will be required viewing.

I am a big fan of Shrek II and Shrek III. Ya know, the movies they made AFTER they ride off in the sunset for their happily ever after? When it dawns on everyone that a grumpy antisocial violent ogre married a primadonna sheltered princess with a lot of baggage? There is much reality in those movies.

When they make me emperor of the church youth programs, those movies will be required viewing.

Way to pop our romantic bubble... And the princess kissed the ogre and.... She turns into an ogre. Blech.