Career options

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I'll try and keep this short. Basically, I'm halfway through college where I'm an econ major. I never knew (and still don't really) what I wanted to do for a career so I went with something that both interested me and is practical. But I'm starting to think I would really rather a career somehow involving computers. Programming maybe, I don't really know. So I'm considering switching majors, but it'd take another three years instead of two, and I'm already 22 where most of my friends are graduating already, so I really want to get college over with. Plus I don't even know if I'd like programming.

The question is, what kind of careers are there available for an econ degree that involve computers in some way (beyond just using them obviously)? I've run several Google searches but I haven't really gotten any real answers. Hopefully you guys have some ideas. Advice is welcome too. Thanks in advance.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

If it's money you're after, get a degree in petroleum engineering. You'll make significantly more than an MBA.

Nah I'm not aiming to be super rich. Money's not all that important, what matters is having a job I like (enough) that pays enough to support myself. If that job ends up paying really well, bonus. :P

I finished my education at 36. Take you time and find a degree/job you can live with for the rest of your life.

True, but let's hope it doesn't take that long. ^_^

Does computational economics fall under 'using computers' for you?

Nah. All I meant by that was just how nearly every job uses computers to some degree.

Looking it up, that does sound interesting, but it also sounds like I'd need more than just a bachelor's.

The Information Technology field and really anything computer related should be growing, especially when you look at how we depend so much on technology these days. You can make enough to live comfortably and hopefully enjoy your job as well if that is something you would be interested in.

When I go back hopefully next year I will be pursuing an MBA and trying to get something Computer Science related on the side as well.

I finished my education at 36. Take you time and find a degree/job you can live with for the rest of your life.

Aren't you a surgeon though and that would require many more years of schooling?

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Look at the long run, not the short term. If staying an extra year in college will help you meet your long term goals better, then that is the road you should take. If it is a wash, then stay as an econ major.

Problem is, I don't really know what I want to do for a career. I know I like computers and some of the career options look interesting. I like economics too but most of the careers in that field don't look appealing.

There are also other practical reasons I want to get done earlier - mainly the cost of school. An entire extra year of school costs a decent amount, even though I have a scholarship and went to a relatively cheap school. Plus I still live with my parents to save money (trying to graduate without ever taking out a student loan) and though I know they like having me here, they don't want me here for too long - and I wouldn't want to be either.

It's just difficult to make a decision when I don't even know what I'm going to want in the future.

Have you considered just going straight into the IT work field? It'll be low paid initially, as you don't have any prior experience or qualifications (I don't think) in the field, but at least that way you can determine whether it's something you want to do for a living, and if you decide that it is, you can then start working on the qualifications.

I started work in IT (network/server infrastructure) at the age of 18 without a degree, the work experience enabled me to work my way up the ranks as quickly as anyone with a degree would, and I'm currently in the middle of completing a computing degree during my evenings, whilst continuing to work full time - this removes any concerns about being able to pay for the qualification, and I continue to gain work experience throughout the time it's going to take me to complete the degree.

Money isn't everything. Take a job that you love. Professionally that was the best decision I ever made.

Only partly agree.

Money isn't everything but life is hard without money. So, if the job that you love is not enough to put food on the table, you need another job.

My dad always told me, find a way to get paid good money for something you will do for free.

Edited by anatess

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Have you considered just going straight into the IT work field? It'll be low paid initially, as you don't have any prior experience or qualifications (I don't think) in the field, but at least that way you can determine whether it's something you want to do for a living, and if you decide that it is, you can then start working on the qualifications.

I started work in IT (network/server infrastructure) at the age of 18 without a degree, the work experience enabled me to work my way up the ranks as quickly as anyone with a degree would, and I'm currently in the middle of completing a computing degree during my evenings, whilst continuing to work full time - this removes any concerns about being able to pay for the qualification, and I continue to gain work experience throughout the time it's going to take me to complete the degree.

I have actually, and you just reminded me I was thinking about that earlier. I just have to figure out how to actually get into that kind of a job. It's more tricky than retail where you "just" have to walk in, find a manager, and make a good impression. Especially in this economy.

Only partly agree.

Money isn't everything but life is hard without money. So, if the job that you love is not enough to put food on the table, you need another job.

My dad always told me, find a way to get paid good money for something you will do for free.

That's the way I see it too. Only I'm not too hopeful I'll ever find that kind of a job. I should be able to manage one that's enjoyable enough though.

Honestly, most people I know aren't doing much directly related to their degrees. They get a job out of college that's related, that they like, and it evolves into something else. I'm 27 now with a writing and renaissance literature background, and am now working with grants. I'm trying to evolve even more :) I may not like my current position but I do enjoy working with the grants!!

I think it takes time and an open heart. Look for jobs that really interest you, that use a lot of your skills and interests. Be creative! Also feel free to interview people, etc., to see what skills they were surprised they were able to use in their current position, what they like, what they wish they had a background in before starting, those sorts of things. It's *very* common and I think could be beneficial in your instance.

Ooooh I do wish I could do this!! It's harder than it seems, though, especially since what I want to do is teach underprivileged youth and that unfortunately doesn't pay well enough for me to pursue.

However I am looking forward to when my kids are old enough that I can again start doing this for free on weekends :)

Ooooh I do wish I could do this!! It's harder than it seems, though, especially since what I want to do is teach underprivileged youth and that unfortunately doesn't pay well enough for me to pursue.

However I am looking forward to when my kids are old enough that I can again start doing this for free on weekends :)

Teach over privileged youth & scholarship in the poor kids.

Helps them out double... As it gets them around kids who are good "networks". (Involved parents, college isn't an option/ which school is the option, etc.).

Homeschooling is explosive in its growth, lately, so most private teachers (setting up classes through community centers) are making waaaaay better money than their public school & private school counterparts.

I'll try and keep this short. Basically, I'm halfway through college where I'm an econ major. I never knew (and still don't really) what I wanted to do for a career so I went with something that both interested me and is practical. But I'm starting to think I would really rather a career somehow involving computers. Programming maybe, I don't really know. So I'm considering switching majors, but it'd take another three years instead of two, and I'm already 22 where most of my friends are graduating already, so I really want to get college over with. Plus I don't even know if I'd like programming.

The question is, what kind of careers are there available for an econ degree that involve computers in some way (beyond just using them obviously)? I've run several Google searches but I haven't really gotten any real answers. Hopefully you guys have some ideas. Advice is welcome too. Thanks in advance.

Off the top of my head:

Econ / CompSci Double Major = Job in management.

Granted, a lot of upper management is clueless what the programmers/DBAs/etc. are doing... But a lot more (these days) are code monkeys who, instead of furthering their tech skills, work for different areas in the company.

Or heck... Work for State (there's an Econ path with them). The StateDept has a lot of tech avenues to explore.

My ex did the 'work in tech while in school' thing. Only made 40k while being an undergrad, made 80k (same job) the day he graduated. Now makes 250k. His degree is NOT CompSci (nothing computer related, actually). Granted, he picked up certifications (SQL, C++, etc.) as he went.

Which is another thing...

CompSci is ALMOST like saying you want to be a Science major. There are a gazillion & 1 specialties.

One way to "see if you'd like it" is to take some certification classes. But you'd kinda need to know which field you're looking at.

I have actually, and you just reminded me I was thinking about that earlier. I just have to figure out how to actually get into that kind of a job. It's more tricky than retail where you "just" have to walk in, find a manager, and make a good impression. Especially in this economy.

If you want to go into programming, research the various languages, pick a couple and learn. The knowledge is free, and there is plenty of it online. Then find someone that needs a programmer, but can't afford one and offer to work for free (local small schools, charities etc. are always in desperate need of IT help here in the UK). This will allow you to build up your resume, experience and eventually one of them may offer you a job.

Or find someone that's advertising for an apprentice - it's very low money, but they'll teach you on the job.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Off the top of my head:

Econ / CompSci Double Major = Job in management.

Granted, a lot of upper management is clueless what the programmers/DBAs/etc. are doing... But a lot more (these days) are code monkeys who, instead of furthering their tech skills, work for different areas in the company.

Or heck... Work for State (there's an Econ path with them). The StateDept has a lot of tech avenues to explore.

My ex did the 'work in tech while in school' thing. Only made 40k while being an undergrad, made 80k (same job) the day he graduated. Now makes 250k. His degree is NOT CompSci (nothing computer related, actually). Granted, he picked up certifications (SQL, C++, etc.) as he went.

Which is another thing...

CompSci is ALMOST like saying you want to be a Science major. There are a gazillion & 1 specialties.

One way to "see if you'd like it" is to take some certification classes. But you'd kinda need to know which field you're looking at.

Awhile ago I thought of double majoring but that would have taken too long and cost too much.

As far as certifications go though, there's a community college I went to before my current one that has an associates in computer programming (specifically). Classes are in SQL, Java, C#, and PHP. I wonder if that would even be better than a computer science degree, which in my school at least, doesn't have a whole lot of programming classes.

If you want to go into programming, research the various languages, pick a couple and learn. The knowledge is free, and there is plenty of it online. Then find someone that needs a programmer, but can't afford one and offer to work for free (local small schools, charities etc. are always in desperate need of IT help here in the UK). This will allow you to build up your resume, experience and eventually one of them may offer you a job.

Or find someone that's advertising for an apprentice - it's very low money, but they'll teach you on the job.

I'm not taking any summer classes so I think I'll try to learn mobile (Android) programming. I guess that'll give me a decent indication if I like it. But then I wonder, is it fun to learn in the beginning or more fun later on when your program actually start working right? ^_^

If experience matters that much compared to a degree, why then would you want the computer science degree? For the higher pay maybe? No matter what, you'd want experience outside school, so would it even matter having an economics degree vs compsci?

If experience matters that much compared to a degree, why then would you want the computer science degree? For the higher pay maybe? No matter what, you'd want experience outside school, so would it even matter having an economics degree vs compsci?

Good question, and one that I asked myself not too long back.

I chose to take my computing degree, not because I believe it has anything to offer in terms of knowledge that's of real value in my career (certainly not anything that's worth the time and money that's put into getting a degree), but to workaround those headhunters that won't even look at the rest of your resume if you don't have a degree or above in a related subject, regardless of what work experience and certifications you might have.

I'm almost up to 1/3 of the way through now. When I've finished it, we'll see if that opinion has changed :)

Edited by Mahone

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Good question, and one that I asked myself not too long back.

I chose to take my computing degree, not because I believe it has anything to offer in terms of knowledge that's of real value in my career (certainly not anything that's worth the time and money that's put into getting a degree), but to workaround those headhunters that won't even look at the rest of your resume if you don't have a degree or above in a related subject, regardless of what work experience and certifications you might have.

I'm almost up to 1/3 of the way through now. When I've finished it, we'll see if that opinion has changed :)

Sounds like I'll stay with economics. I still enjoy the subject, and it's still a good degree to have in general, especially given it's part of the business school at my college (it's a BBA). I think the plan will be to finish it up and learn programming as a hobby in the meantime, and maybe consider certificates or the associates later on after I get a job in the field.

Also, what's your career then? Do you like it a lot?