Prisonchaplain speaks: Relying on the Holy Spirit

Many of you know that 3 times a year I speak at my home church. These occasions give some folks here the opportunity to hear me, since none of my ministry in the jail is recorded.

Today's link is to the April 28 message, and is both audio and streaming video. To go straight to my speaking start at about 53:00. There is a story about a Red Tractor that starts at about 48:00 minutes. You may find that it helps you understand the introduction better.

Live Streaming | Angle Lake Neighborhood Church

For those who would rather just listen, here's the podcast link: Assemblies of God Online Sermons and Podcasts | Angle Lake Neighborhood Church | Angle Lake Neighborhood Church

PENTECOSTAL OUTCOMES

Introduction: The story of the tractor is the story of Pentecost!

· The tractor represents the church.

o As it relied less on the Holy Spirit, the church’s effectiveness diminished.

o Yet, so long as the people had enough for themselves they were satisfied.

· Over time the owner’s manual—THE BIBLE—go set aside, in favor of doing things the way they’ve always been done.

o At first, there was an effort to rely on the manual.

o It did offer devotion material and direction.

· Finally though, it was power—the Holy Spirit—that brought in a harvest.

· We do church pretty good at Angle Lake.

o However, SeaTac and south Puget Sound need more.

o They need us to operate in the fullness of the power of the Holy Spirit!

· Just imagine what might happen if we do!

Scripture:

· Joel 2:28-29

· 28 “And afterward,

I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

Your sons and daughters will prophesy,

your old men will dream dreams,

your young men will see visions.

29 Even on my servants, both men and women,

I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

· Galations 3:26-29

· 26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Transition: First, Pentecost unites a church that was divided.

1. God reverses the divisions that sin created.

a. With Adam & Eve’s rebellion, God cursed both genders by dividing them.

i. Men would suffer in their work.

ii. Women would suffer in childbearing.

iii. One result is that fallen humanity has allowed such a division between men and women that one author suggested we were from different planets (Mars vs. Venus).

b. With the Tower of Babel incident, God cursed humanity—dividing us into languages.

i. Because we could not understand each other we scattered.

ii. One result is that fallen humanity has given in to racism, and even tribalism.

c. With the coming of Pentecost, Peter proclaims that the THIS outpouring of the Holy Spirit, demonstrated by speaking in tongues, is THAT which was prophesied by the prophet Joel.

d. So what did Joel say would happen, and has it come to pass?

i. He said that God would pour his Spirit out on all people.

1. The modern beginnings of our movement were small—yet involved both women and minorities.

a. A main teaching of Pentecostalism is that speaking in tongues is the sign of Spirit baptism.

b. The doctrine was re-discovered in the early 1900s at a tiny Bible institute, in Topeka Kansas.

c. The first student to pray in tongues was a woman—Agnes Osborne.

d. Because of Jim Crow laws, the most famous student from the school had to sit outside the classroom, because he was black.

e. He was William Seymour.

i. He was the preacher who started the Azusa Street Revival.

ii. From these meetings modern Pentecostalism began its explosive growth.

2. Today, our movement has to be one of the most ironic of all.

a. The Assemblies of God has its international headquarters in Springfield, MO. This town is small—145K. It is very white—99.6%.

b. Can you guess where the largest Assemblies of God church is? (Seoul, Korea). Yoido Full Gospel church has 840K members.

c. How about the country with the most Assemblies of God members? (Brazil, with 20 million vs. 2 million in the U.S.)

d. The worldwide membership of the Assemblies of God is 60 million. The American portion of that is less than 5%.

ii. Prophet Joel also said that both men and women would prophesy.

1. Women can speak in tongues.

2. Women can prophesy.

3. Women can preach.

a. We ordain women as ministers in the Assemblies of God.

b. One of our sister Pentecostal denominations, the Four Square Church, was founded by a lady minister—Aimee Semple McPherson

c. Joel’s prophecy says that women shall prophesy. One meaning of that is to proclaim—to preach.

d. We also have the letter to the Galations, which declares that there is no longer male or female—that we are one in Christ’s church.

Transition: Besides bringing a unity amongst the genders and the “tribes and nations,” how has Pentecostalism blessed the church?

1. Pentecostalism has grown the Christian church.

a. Acts 2:38-41: 38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” 40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

b. Again, modern Pentecostalism started in a small Bible institute in Topeka, KS with a few dozen students.

c. A partially blind, African-American preacher began meetings in a warehouse, on Azusa Street. The meetings carried on for three years—birthing an international movement.

d. Today roughly 600 million people consider themselves Pentecostal or Charismatic.

e. The Assemblies of God was founded in less than 100 years ago—in 1914, with roughly 300 delegates. Today we are one of the largest Protestant denominations in the world, with about 60 million members and adherents.

Transition: Besides adding numbers, how has Pentecostalism impacted the greater Christian church?

2. By focusing on the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit, we have brought unity and power to the Christian church.

a. Denominations and factions have become less important.

i. In the 1940s the Assemblies of God joined the National Association of Evangelicals.

1. At the time, many other members were deeply skeptical of us. Some were even hostile. After all, who were these rag-tag, wrong-side-of-the-tracks, tongue-talking folk?

2. Today we are the largest fellowship in the NAE.

ii. They sing our songs.

1. Praise and Worship, with hands raised, hearts united, has become the standard for most Christian churches.

2. I remember a Baptist officer at the jail asking me if I knew of any churches who still sing hymns.

a. I suggested the Baptists.

b. He groused: No. I am Baptist, and our churches are singing your songs now!

b. Pentecostalism has helped the greater church understand and seek spiritual power.

i. Ephesians 6:10-12: 10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

ii. Filipino pastor explains why he especially likes our missionaries. (Mainstream vs. Pentecostal exorcism)

iii. This was a couple decades ago. Today, many Christians from many different churches have come to recognize Paul’s wisdom.

1. Pastor John and I recently attended a pastors’ seminar, sponsored by the Billy Graham Association.

2. While there we found out that many pastors in our state are gathering twice a year, to promote evangelism.

a. What is their grand strategy for winning souls? Is it a new program? Is it a seminar telling us to become like sinners so we can win sinners?

b. No. They gather to simply pray.

i. They pray for the lost, for leaders, for churches, for the sick, the hungry, the deluded.

ii. They pray all day, in unity. They wrestle against spirits and principalities, believing that the very spiritual, non-practical act of united, Holy Ghost anointed prayer can change our state. AMEN?

Transition: If Pentecost has brought unity, growth, and power to the Church, what might it do for us?

1. Our church can experience unity, growth and power, if we will remain loyal to the Pentecostal message—if we will stay true to our vision to be a Spirit driven church.

a. Unity

i. 1 Corinthians 1:10: 10 I appeal to you, brothers and sisters,[a] in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.

1. Of course, with men this is impossible. My father once told me that if there are 3 people on earth, and both male and female, then there will be wars.

2. Only the Holy Spirit can bring unity.

ii. Philippians 2:1-3: Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.

1. Again, how can we be united in Christ?

2. We must be one in spirit…in love.

3. And, of course, love is the primary fruit of the Holy Spirit.

4. We need the Holy Spirit!

b. Growth

i. Acts 2:46-47: 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

ii. They were enjoying fellowship and worship together.

iii. It was not a planned out evangelistic meeting. They just gathered to love God and each other.

iv. Then GOD added to their number.

v. It wasn’t a pastor thing, or a program thing. It was a Holy Spirit thing! Amen?

c. Power

i. Acts 1:8: 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

1. Throughout most of our history, we have not had many resources.

a. Money has been short.

b. Our missionary force is not that big—about 1400 currently.

c. What we did have is a desperate reliance on the Holy Spirit to empower, enable and anoint our labors. And He did! Praise God.

ii. Luke 9:1-2: When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.

1. We have the authority of Jesus.

2. We have the power of the Holy Spirit.

3. Therefore, as we preach. As we pray. As we help…We will see the power of God.

CONCLUSION: We've said the tractor represented the church. It also represents each of us. God wants us to give up our control and rely on the Holy Spirit!