May 2, 2013 - Self Acceptance

pam

Do not allow yourself to be self-condemning. Avoid discouragement. Teach yourself correct principles and govern yourself with honor. Appropriately involve yourself in helping others. As we develop proper self-image in ourselves and others, I promise you the ""nobody"" attitude will completely disappear.

Marvin J. Ashton

Good Morning pam. Thank you for the quotes! :)

Appropriately involve yourself in helping others.

Marvin J. Ashton

The quoted statement caught my attention and I wonder what does it mean to "appropriately involve ourselves in helping others?" What is appropriate involvement?

Regards,

Finrock

If I may answer, I believe it means listening to the Spirit, which knows exactly who needs what from you at any given moment.

I am socially immature. I have a hard time understanding boundaries at times. I want to be helpful to people but my immaturity and my inability to see boundaries at times prevents me from doing so effectively. I don't always know what is appropriate involvement. And for me it isn't just knowing what is appropriate involvement in helping others but it is also knowing and understanding what boundaries are appropriate for myself.

I keep thinking of the counsel for us to be diligent but that we shouldn't run faster than we have strength.

Of course, you are right. Listening to the Spirit is what is right. It is a hard thing to do, however, because I am sinful.

Regards,

Finrock

I think Finrock, my two cents, he is merely saying "actively be engaged in a good cause." Instead of waiting for the Lord to command, appropriately recognize opportunities to serve and serve when requested by our ward, friends, and family.

For example, I have been thinking lately with regards to my service in mine own home. I can either wait for my wife to ask for help, or I can appropriately involve myself in serving her and recognizing the opportunities to serve.