Writing for Fun?

Lakumi

A hobby i have done since I was a child, is writing. While the subject often stays close to fantasy (goblins and witches and dragons, etc) in more recent years I have been collecting together things I call psudo-poetry, and am gonna make a book of them once I have written enough.

So far I've completed a few books (one of what I call a Dream Book, literally just that, dreams of mine and random things that come to me at night... wasn't written in a happy time).

A fantasy novel where a young woman rescues a Princess and has to kill a necromancer (was written in a month for nanowrimo)

A comedy-fantasy starring a rather uncooth knight named Yolo Swaggins and having to recover a sacred book from a dragon's horde.

And a collection of short stories about a family of faeries living amongst humans and what daily hilarity that ensures.:lol: (Those were originally written for my ball jointed doll friends as all the characters there are based off ball jointed dolls I own).

I donno if I will ever pubish anything, but I do love to talk about my favorite hobby. :)

people like some of what I write... the stuff I pour my emotion and soul into... problem is, that stuff is very dark and gloomy and I find it very hard to reread it for editing (I was in a bad place emotionally when I wrote The Book of Sleeping Thought")

So I do hope people like my fantasy novels more

When I'm at the top of my game (pun intended), I put down between thirty and fifty thousand words a month for various RPG adventures (mostly Star Trek and Serenity sci-fi).

I find the writing to be somewhat cathartic, although when deadlines (game days) loom, it can be its own source of stress.

Unlike traditional story writers, I tend to work more on story framework and situational awareness than dialogue (that's the province of the players), although I am invariably called upon to ad lib as the non-player characters they meet.

As a result, I have no idea how to write inter-character dialogue for a regular story, but I do get to delve deeply into character personality, motivation, and (overall) character crafting.

I've discovered that putting words on paper is easier typing it into a computer; but that I'm at my most creative with just a paper and pencil and find it easier to spot and correct errors with the same.

There is one other tendency I've noticed about my writing- and wonder if you suffer from it as well, Lakumi.

If I get a scene or an idea in my head, I cannot sleep or even rest, until I "purge" it by commiting it to paper (or computer screen).

Dickens (and if memory serves, Poe both) complained that they were "tormented" by their characters until they committed their scenes a/o thoughts to paper.

I now understand what they meant.

oh yes, I know that all too well... an idea can hit anywhere and I often carry a pen and paper to record it down.

I usually type on computer. My mood always dictates how quickly I can write. When I have a spell of anger or sadness, I can't write a thing...

It's gotten harder the older I get.

there is a story, or rather a series of short stories, I'd like to put on here.

I donno however, they might be offensive.

Its about 3 characters (faeries) and their, well basically thoughts and interaction with humanity and our ways.

Things like food, sports and religion come up, I donno... I mean Clover offends lots but that's her character.

You're not supposed to agree with her.

• 1 month later...

Hi Lakumi,

This isn't really a place to post non-LDS themed stuff, no matter how cool it is. I know deviantart.com is a great place to post artwork, I'm sure there are plenty of places for the written word. You should post them there, and link them here if you like. (As long as nothing violates the site rules.)

• 3 weeks later...

I found the perfect (perfect enough) story to make into an LDS themed story, where an inactive mother finds her faith, starting when her daughter goes missing during an ocean voyage (though being me, there's magic and weirdness... I just can't write typical things) :lol:

The original was lacking and needs things removed

I enjoy creative writing. I have written fiction in the past, verse and amateur poetry. I enjoy blogging, but my biggest ambition is yet to be realized. I hope to a published author soon, even if I self publish. I've been studying and compiling research for many years with Book of Mormon themes, including the fullness of the gospel and have also made a study of Nephi, son of Lehi. I may also yet write a sci fi/fantasy novel.

I like writing as well Lakumi--tho mine is primarily poetry. I've found that I stink at journaling, but if I put it in poem form, I can get it out. Maybe we could trade works at some time and look at the others'

Just a thought.

yeah I think we should :)

• 1 month later...

Now, I am beginning one of my more interesting books, I call it The Book of Kona. It's a religious text like book, I invented the religion for other books, since for the longest time I felt too unknowing of religions, so felt I should just make up my own for books, like I did companies, sports teams, and countries.

Out of general curiosity, over the weeks and months, I had wondered how it went, and decided for nanowrimo, to write it this year.

My signature often bares quotes from it.

I used to write stories that are spin-offs of books I've read. Like I would read a book and just hate the way it ends, so I rewrite the last few chapters. Or there's a minor character in the book that I like, so I write him his own story, etc.

Then I found out the woman that wrote the Mortal Instruments series wrote short stories based on Draco Malfoy and people liked it, so she ended up writing an entire series with the main character as Draco Malfoy - or Draco refurbished to be a Shadowhunter.

I've always loved writing for Language Arts Schoolwork. So when I was 12 I became a school paper contributor for fictional short stories and poems. Then I became the editor a couple years later and some other guy from school submitted a short story titled "The Creature from the Toilet Bowl". It was super good! It was so good I stopped writing all together because all the stories I start just can't compete with the Creature from the Toilet Bowl... It was quite a crushing moment.

Eh just cause I find someone better then me doesn't mean I stop writing, there will always be someone out there better. That's just how life works :S

Not to a 14-year-old who thought she ruled the world. :D

• 1 month later...

I really started getting into writing years ago. Had a lot of fun, but work has gotten in the way. I keep saying that when work slows down (or I hit the lotto) I'll start up again. All my writing has a very religious and thinly veiled LDS tone to it. Some I buried, some I posted on my web site, and others are only ideas and notes. Keep trying to start my master piece, "Posing as People". Maybe I'll run out and actually buy a lotto ticket for once. Dollar and a writer's dream...

• 2 months later...

rereading an alternate Lakumi on the Shelf and it is just terrifying, I think keeping Lakumi a doll makes her scarier (she does things like changing her eyes, takes them out completely, puts a spring snake in her head and removes her headcap to shoot it at a small child, makes herself a plastic brain...)