How to have faith in priesthood blessings

Guest ldsashley

Guest ldsashley

I'm going through something difficult right now and I have a lot of fear and worries. I was given a priesthood blessing by my husband was told some pretty specific information and that everything would be ok. I'm trying to have faith but part of me says that maybe a little of my husband's own hopes went into what he said in the blessing. If I knew for sure that the blessing came from Heavenly Father, it would be easier for me to fight my doubts. How do you deal with this?

A few years ago in General Conference, it was said that what Priesthood holder says isn't what heals but the anointing and consecration of the oil does. If the giver was to end the blessing without any inspired words from himself it would not make a difference on the healing of the giver. If you are looking to have faith, have faith in the anointing and confirmation.

When I have doubts about a blessing and if it will work. I verbally or in my head several times, remind myself that I have faith and I know Heavenly Father will bless me if I have faith. I tell myself "I know....."

For me doubts come from Satan. Satan wants us to doubt the Priesthood. He wants us to doubt our faith. He wants us to doubt our Heavenly Father. So, I just keep reminding myself.

Just yesterday I had to do this. I've been in lots of pain for weeks. I knew what was wrong but nothing I did was helping. Our home teachers came by on Thursday and my husband asked if I wanted a blessing while they were here. I said yes, but then my husband didn't bless me with what I thought I needed. I went to the Instacare doctor yesterday morning and ended up having an ultrasound. I got worse after I got home and again nothing helped so I made an appt with my doctor for Monday. Then I realized I was doubting. So I started reminding myself that I believe. I have faith. I know the Priesthood works. And most importantly, I know Heavenly Father will give me the blessing He wants me to have. I woke without pain this morning.

In my experience with giving blessings I have noticed there are two elements always involved:

1. The righteous desires of the giver

2. Inspiration given by the Holy Spirit, which will surely come to pass.

In light of receiving blessings it is also important that we remember these verses, Doctrine & Covenants 46: 30 - 32.

When a blessing is given by the spirit the promised blessings will occur. I like verse 32, "give thanks unto God in the Spirit for whatsoever blessing ye are blessed with."

The verse implies that we should give thanks for "whatsoever" we do receive. The righteous desires of our hearts, which are expressed in a blessing, also through the receiver's faith are also able to be received.

I seek to simply exercise faith in the principles, righteous principles, and I know they will be received. I would take courage in your husband's blessing. If somethings promised are not received, continue to exercise faith in those promises, and exercise thanksgiving in those, that are received.

Some promises will not be received due to the nature of the promise -- outside of any bound a priesthood holder is authorized to give. Ignore these and move forward, knowing the thoughts were provided from the love of your husband's heart.

What was the Lord's blessing to you? If it is not what your husband said (and I concede that it may not be) then what was it? Isn't this the starting point for faith? If we do not understand the blessing we have been given how do we exercise faith in the same? If we do not know what the Lord has given us, then there is doubt, and where there is doubt, there faith is not.

For doubt and faith do not exist in the same person at the same time; so that persons whose minds are under doubts and fears cannot have unshaken confidence; and where unshaken confidence is not, there faith is weak. (Lectures on Faith, Lecture Six)

Let me give an example from my own life. It was a time I learned about pure and simple faith and every time I think of it I am again humbled... My four year old daughter broke her leg falling out of a tree. We went to the instacare and they put her in a temporary splint. The next day she said she wanted a blessing and so I prayed to the Lord to know what to say. At the end of sincere prayer I felt her faith was strong and that I would bless her to be healed. Before the blessing I explained to her about the priesthood and that as Jesus healed those when he was on the earth a portion of his power could be given to worthy priesthood holders. Well, I blessed her that she might be healed and walk. Right after the blessing she said, "Dad, take off my splint so I can get going!" I didn't know what to say. Take off her cast?! My wife and I did not do it. We explained to her that that was not how it worked.

Right after, I felt I was wrong in not trusting the blessing. I realized that I was the one lacking faith. That somehow I had put up barriers to the blessing the Lord would give my child. I hoped then, and at time since, that I could have the faith my child had at four.