Folding arms to pray

A friend on facebook pointed out to me that LDS people all over the world pray different. I had no idea what he meant til he pointed out that we fold our arms to pray. Still confused, he said other Christians put their hands together in the classic hand to hand position.

So is he right? If so why do we pray that way?

Holding hands to pray is very common in the south. We've done it on occasion. I think it comes from being able to control the kids during prayer. lol They can't sneak food or poke a sibling if we are holding hands.

The down sides I've seen from folding arms is with the kids. Mine will put their arms up over their face (which means you can't hear them if it's their turn to say the prayer) or lay their head down on the table like it's nap time. lol

I know a few that raise their hands above their heads. Not the "everyday" prayer but when they are in sincere or feeling the spirit strongly prayer. Ever tried it? It's a very different feeling. I have a few theories on that posture but I won't go into it here. lol

I know very few who clasp their hands to pray but it's a known and accepted position. It's seen in a lot of paintings and artwork.

I'm not sure the specific posture makes a huge difference. I too have casual conversations with god while driving alone or doing chores. I try to make sure my kids know there are different ways so that they are not thrown off when visiting others and they do something different. When in someone's home you pray how they pray, no need to feel awkward. Should serve them well if they choose to go on a mission as well. We should embrace different spiritual experiences not be afraid of them.

I'm not inclined to believe the early saints folded their arms to pray unless someone has a reference to when/why it was started. I think a lot of their early church traditions probably came with them. Joseph did teach after all that we don't need to give anything up to be part of the gospel, bring all the good you have and let us add unto it.

I saw that thread, I really think it's to keep children's arms away from trouble. I also still think that the reason we pray like that is because duct tape for some reason hasn't been approved as a child reverent aid.

At meals my family holds hand around the table. It was to control little hands in the beginning. Now it's a family tradition and my 19 -25 y.o. kids bring our guests into it.

Sometimes I fold arms, sometimes hands. I haven't seen anything different in my multinational Middle East ward. The interesting thing is,... (back home) I'd look around the congregation on a rare day. Sometimes kids/teens will look around and when they see you looking at them sometimes they respond in funny ways, like 'snap' their eyes shut so fast it had to hurt. :lol:

I usually take the clasped hands approach. It just feels more natural to me.

Besides, it's iconic.

As one who grew up praying in the Mormony, folded-arm way, I always thought the "praying hands"

Posted Image

looked unnatural and somewhat affected.

The folding of hands or more classic pressing of hands is actually a more recent affectation within Christianity. The pretzel was allegedly invented by monks as a reward for children who learned their prayers. The shape supposedly represented the shape of folded arms. In the intervening centuries, the manner of prayer went from folded arms to pressed hands.

I fold or clasp my hands, depending on my mood. My spirituality or the sincerity of my prayers is not dependent on how my hands rest.

If anything, the whole hands thing while praying is designed to scream at others around you that you are praying which infers that others should maintain a degree of social respect and reverence.

The standard expected practice is for maintaining child discipline and as kids grow into adults, they then teach what they know and is natural to them. Tradition is then born.

A friend on facebook pointed out to me that LDS people all over the world pray different. I had no idea what he meant til he pointed out that we fold our arms to pray. Still confused, he said other Christians put their hands together in the classic hand to hand position.

So is he right? If so why do we pray that way?

Tradition. (traditional form of respect, a posture of humility before a higher authority)

People in the book of mormon prayed laying down often enough. In the OT if you really were sincer about getting help from god you would don some form of sackcloth and use ashes along with fasting or some other sacrifice.

Edited by Blackmarch

I grew up Catholic and the hands pressed together thing is not really something we did much. It's more for like - first communion or something as a form of "show" (not in a bad way). Bowing heads and closing eyes is not the thing to do either. Kneeling down is more the Catholic thing and of course it starts and ends with the sign of the cross. Well, usually, Catholics grow up praying the rosary or with a prayer book - where you hold the rosary or prayer book in your hands as you pray, so you can't really clasp, press, or fold your arms - and you can't read the prayer book if your eyes are closed.

• 1 month later...
Guest Doctrine

When I was catholic I used to clasp my hands then I joined the church and studied a lot of the lds art work and noticed that almost ever person in the painting were doing the same thing so I still do it that way, I know, I know lds pantings are not scripture but it was nice to see that confirmation.

The postion of the hands is important because it is symbolic of different "orders" of prayer. There is a bsic order, every day prayer, and a true order of prayer with grades between. God will answer either way we pray I am sure but there is still a true order.

While privately its appropriate to pray with uplifted hands (search scriptures there are many references) I wouldn't do so publicly. I have also heard if you pray with outstreched arms its symbolic of receiving than if its up its symbolic of knocking? Maybe I got that backwards or entirely wrong.

Or folding arms is symbolic of making the infinite figure 8 sign to heaven though some also believe its a form of tradition that is closer to satan inspired teachings (false doctrine). All things have their opposites. Maybe someone with more knowledge will know what is and what isn't.

I like clasped. Having learned about body language, when I investigated the church I was concern the way LDS not only prayed with arms crossed but some walked around that way. It gives the impression of being closed to others or new things in general.

Here is how one body language website put it :

Arms can act as the doorway to the body and the self. When they are crossed, they form a closed defensive shield, blocking out the outside world. Shields act in two ways: one is to block incoming attacks and the other is a place behind which the person can hide and perhaps not be noticed.

Crossed arms may thus indicate anxiety which is either driven by a lack of trust in the other person or an internal discomfort and sense of vulnerability (that may, for example, be rooted in childhood

trauma).

Now being a member I know that this is not how its meant in the Church, but I think we need to know it could be jarring to a convert with general body language knowledge. Especially if we want to continue to grow and reach others.

Edited by waywardsciotosaint

• 8 months later...

IMO, the purpose of any position is pretty much what others have stated; it's to keep you focused and not fidgeting with anything. Certainly the Lord knows what is in your heart: He doesn't need sign language.

When standing, if my hands are empty, I generally end up in something more like the "at ease" position, hands behind my back, palms out, thumbs linked. When sitting in church, since most prayers come right after a hymn, I usually have my phone or tablet in my hand, so I turn it face down (removing the temptation to punch in the next hymn number on the app) and place the other hand loosely over that one.

I had this discussion in my class yesterday. I guess I should say at this time that I teach the Sunbeams. (3 year olds) I was telling my "little ones" to get ready for prayer. We were almost there when one of the little boys suddenly informed everyone that not everyone folded their arms when they said the prayer. He then told us that some people put their hands together like this. :) After just a little futher discussion we were almost there again when another little one spoke up and informed everyone that not everyone shut their eyes when they prayed. :) I informed everyone that we will fold our arms and shut our eyes. Now, here comes the guilty part. I looked to see if they folded their arms and shut their eyes. :)) Every eye was shut and every arm crossed.

When I saw this post I lost it. I could not stop laughing. My warped sense of humor took over. I could just see you all discussing your veiws just like those "little ones". Lessons learned maybe from an old primary teacher or Mom and Dad.

Then another thought entered my head. When I think of prayer I remember sneaking in to watch my grandfather say his morning prayers. His hands would be clasped together hitting the top of his head. I remember sometimes his words were broken with emotion and sometimes no words were spoken. I then would see the constant movement in those beautiful old hands.

I think when I say prayers in class or in Sacrament I fold my arms. When I say my private prayers I follow my grandfather's example of so long ago.

Edited by zippy_do46