Writing a Missionary and Don't know where to start....

DaZebra

My first question being: When i write, do I address him as "elder" or as his first name? we've been friends for years!

Also, he left fairly recently. Do you think he'll even want to hear from home so soon? Call me crazy adventurous and wild, but if it were me being 2000 miles away from home, I wouldn't want to reconnect too soon.

Also, i've heard so many mixed things about what to write and what not to write it's not even funny anymore. "Write about what's going on at home, he'll like feeling connected to his friends." "Don't write about what's happening at home if you can help it, he'll be focused on his mission if you are." I already get the whole "no 'i miss you's and 'can't wait to see you again's." I'm talking a little closer to the fine line of frivolous things.

Thanks so much you guys :)

Address him as Elder.

It doesn't matter if he just left an hour ago. Send the letter and he'll read it when he wants to.

When I write letters to missionaries, I write about Church only. I mention stuff like ward business and talks given. I also write things that I would say on the podium on testimony Sunday. I may enclose a gift (I ask the parents for suggestions) or things like coloring pages we get in Primary (I know it's silly, but sometimes, these coloring pages or handouts at Primary have really cool lesson nuggets or quotes or scriptures on it - I'm not in Primary anymore, so I'll probably start enclosing RS handouts in it now).

Hope this helps.

I'm with Vort. You've been friends for years. Call him by his first name.

There is no problem with talking about things back home. I do know that families are encouraged not to talk about all the problems that may be going on at home. There is nothing that a missionary can do about it being gone and his focus should be on his mission.

As a friend though, I'm sure he'd love to hear about what's going on with you and his friends. I'd also include a favorite scripture or a quote that you come across that could encourage him.

Be comfortable. Address him however you want. Talk about whatever you want, except for mushy love stuff, though it doesn't sound like it's that kind of relationship.

Write to him now. The first few months can be hard, while you're adjusting, particularly for kids who've never really been away from home. Alternately, they can be exhilarating, and maybe he'll appreciate letters more once he's been out longer. You know your friend better. Just keep writing throughout the two years, because lots of people quit after the first 6 months.

• 2 months later...

There is some good advice in here so far.

I'll add a few things:

-Ask him questions about the people he is teaching

-Include a brief questionnaire/survey that has quick yes/no or fill in the blanks for him to do. this is a good way to cover lot;s of ground without him having to take too much time on the bust preparation day.

-If you are mailing and using standard mail, include a clipping from a favorite church magazine article

Apparently there's no such thing as too many pictures. Every time we have the missionaries over, they bring their photo albums (word got out I like looking at pictures of strangers, and love hearing family stories... So they all bring their newest photos from home because their companions are sick. to. death. of looking/hearing. Generally one plays ball with my boys in the yard while the other tells me about their goofy grandfather, Dax's best BBQ sauce, prettiest girl in he world, etc.) And then they trade. S'what I do when the missionaries come over... Cook for an army & look at pictures from home.

Thanks so much, you guys, I feel a lot more comfortable writing now, to him and to other missionaries I wasn't as close to. Another question I came across the other day was about birthday presents... I have a specific idea of what to send that will appeal to his geeky side and has no gospel relevance whatsoever. It's a small LOTR trinket that's flat and will mail in a standard envelope, but I just wonder if that's inappropriate for a missionary?

Thanks again you guys, the help means a lot!