What Does It Mean To Be Christian?

Guest Yediyd

:excl:

Basically the title says it all. I'm a christian and am extremely cautious regarding organizational religion. I disagree with a lot of mormon doctrine (but I still love[agape] you guys) and I wondered (since you clearly think you are christian) what you mean when you say that you are christian.

In Christ's Love Always,

Skeptictank

You are cautious about organized religion, and yet you call yourself a Christian...interesting...so, what exactly do you think Jesus was doing when he called his 12 deciples and told them to go out and preach the gosple? Have you even read the new testiment? Ever heard of a guy named, Paul? check out the letters he wrote to the churches...ie, organized religion that was started by Jesus and his deciples...HELLO!!!!!

Basically the title says it all. I'm a christian and am extremely cautious regarding organizational religion. I disagree with a lot of mormon doctrine (but I still love[agape] you guys) and I wondered (since you clearly think you are christian) what you mean when you say that you are christian.

In Christ's Love Always,

Skeptictank

o

You know I actually don't call myself Christian, its something I have never felt comfortable doing even before I was baptised LDS - I grew up Presbyterian/Anglican with a lot of other thrown in, but I always felt that only the Lord could tell me if I was Christian or not. Its something I feel will be determind when I face the Lord at judgement - and that its the sum total of my life that determines it

Charley

• 4 weeks later...

hey john doe, you got you self all in a whirl and offended while you should have nicely answered the inocent question of an outsider. you could have planted some seeds for that gospel to grow. treat all investigators who many may be antimormon like that and you'll give the church it'self a bad name to them just by being a bad example. every church member is suppost to be an example of the gospel. a light unto the world. a patient person who puts every thing aside and helps spread the truth instead of his piece of mind. thanks to the lady who finally answered the question nicely.

Guest Yediyd

She's new, all these old threads are new to her.

I was and am the samr way....not to belittle...but I like to read the old threads and respond to them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheLordSaves

Christians are all those who take upon them the name of Christ and believe in His Divinity and Atonement. There should be no effort made to divide them based on their understanding of that Divinity or the Doctrines of His Gospel. Let them all be called Christians whether Jew or Gentile, Protestant or Restorationist, a man who claims to worship Christ should be allowed as much and be called a Christian.

-a-train

Sorry, but I would have to disagree. The differences between the Divinity of Christ, and the "Doctrines" are eternal. Don't you think that one of our beliefs are true? Would not God want us to believe in that if that is what's true? Especially the Divinity of Christ, that above all is very very important, if ones opinion of the Divinity of Christ differs than what is true, than what a slap on the face to Christ that is to call Him what He's not, and say that He is, but He isn't! There's a matter of which Christ one worships. The one who is Living and true, or one that is a fable of men. The challenge then is to deeply consider all our faiths and discover if we are in line with what Christ spoke in His own words, and if we are not in contradiction, because believing in anything other than Christ's own words and the words spoken from Him through the apostles, is to call Him a liar and to becom an idolator for one would be forming a god in their own mind, which in the Old Covenant was punishable by death. How much worse would it be to call the very Son of God a liar because of misbelief. We all need to be very careful and descerning in what we believe.

Guest Yediyd
<div class='quotemain'>

[...] We all need to be very careful and descerning in what we believe.

I love that passage of scripture!! I claim it often in my prayers!!!

Mark 9:24

And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Sorry, but I would have to disagree. The differences between the Divinity of Christ, and the "Doctrines" are eternal. Don't you think that one of our beliefs are true? Would not God want us to believe in that if that is what's true? Especially the Divinity of Christ, that above all is very very important, if ones opinion of the Divinity of Christ differs than what is true, than what a slap on the face to Christ that is to call Him what He's not, and say that He is, but He isn't! There's a matter of which Christ one worships. The one who is Living and true, or one that is a fable of men. The challenge then is to deeply consider all our faiths and discover if we are in line with what Christ spoke in His own words, and if we are not in contradiction, because believing in anything other than Christ's own words and the words spoken from Him through the apostles, is to call Him a liar and to becom an idolator for one would be forming a god in their own mind, which in the Old Covenant was punishable by death. How much worse would it be to call the very Son of God a liar because of misbelief. We all need to be very careful and descerning in what we believe.

I don't think you even have to be Christian to know God - as far as I am concerned there is only one God, so whatever you call him is a little incidental. I have known Hindu's and even one atheist who have had Christ in their countenance. Remember the lady who Christ referred to as a Dog? she was pagan but recognised Christ without any teaching, those that had, many that had all the learning didn't recognise him

Charley

• 5 months later...