Where can I get the 2005 version of Joseph Smith

nispio

According to this Church News article: LDS Church News - Video: Joseph Smith, prophet of the restoration, the move Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration received a major overhaul in 2011, and the new version (2011) has replaced the old version (2005). I saw the movie in the Legacy Theater on Temple Square back when they were showing the original (2005). I have since watched the revised version (2011), and I did not like it as much. The original (2005) movie had the feel of a feature film, where the new movie (2011) has the feel of a really long sunday school video.

Having seen both versions, I wanted to obtain a copy of the original (2005) to add to my personal library. However, I have not been able to find it. It appears that at one point, the 2005 version was available on the Doctrine & Convenants and Church History Visual Resource DVDs, but that is no longer the case. I purchased a copy this week, and the DVD now contains the new (2011) version of the film.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the original (2005) version of the film? I have found a few YouTube videos of it, but all of them seem to be ripped below DVD quality. And as a side note, am I alone in thinking that the original version of the film was better than the revised version?

I haven't seen either. It's been a long time since I've been to SLC.

That said, for an official release of the film, it would have to come from the LDS Church Distribution center.

Church History DVDs - store.lds.org

I don't think it's available for purchase, but that would be the link to find it I would think.

Hidden

I haven't seen either. It's been a long time since I've been to SLC.

That said, for an official release of the film, it would have to come from the LDS Church Distribution center.

Church History DVDs - store.lds.org

I don't think it's available for purchase, but that would be the link to find it I would think.

I looked and found it available for $4.50

Joseph Smith Commemorative Program DVD - store.lds.org

IF .... that's the right one.

Thanks skippy740. I actually called the central LDS store and asked if they distributed the video, and I was told that it is only distributed with the D&C Visual Resource DVDs which, as I mentioned before, has been updated now to have the 2011 version. At this point, I would be willing to obtain the video through "unofficial" channels if possible, since it looks like the official channels have dried up. I am going to stop by my Ward library on Sunday and see if by chance they have the 2010 version of the D&C Visual Resource DVDs, but I'm not holding my breath.

• 2 weeks later...

nispio,

I have yet to have to purchase any church videos. I find them online, 99.99% of the time, the church gives them as a free downloads. Such is the case with the video you seek.

I just downloaded it at a high rez and it looks great on my laptop. You can download it in 3 different "qualities". I don't know the professional code for the download, just that it works just fine. Here is the link for you. I hope it helps!

Feature Films

Take care,

Letrell