Son joining Marines

AllieJ

Lots of good Mormons in the military, including the Marines. If he wants to go the route of drug-using, smoking, drinking, cursing, fornicating hedonist, there is plenty of opportunity awaiting him. But the same can be said if he wants to go the route of son of God seeking to do his Priesthood duty.

Amen and amen, Vort.

I served on an East Coast gator freighter (hauling Marines and their toys for five years).

His military experience will be what he decides to make of it- and if he seeks friends of good character and morality, they will be found in plenty.

I was around the military my entire life until I moved to Utah. My ward in San Diego consisted in the majority of the men being in the miltary. One of the Bishops I had was also in the Navy. It can be done. It all depends on what direction he wants to go.

Having served in the military - I can say with authority that in general the military is not friendly to any religion and minority religious (like LDS) bring little or no points in the rank and file of military society. There are some that respect those that live their religion devoutly but my experience is that such individuals are the exception and not the rule.

In general it was my experience that few in the military honored the religion of their birth. But at the same time there are no atheists in a fire fight. Many are converted to G-d during trouble but fall away.

For me the military experience was difficult and intrusive to my personal standards - I found the common language of the military extremely vulgar and offensive and was constantly disappointed with the lack of moral discipline. Things I go out of my way to avoid whenever possible.

The Traveler

My 18 year old son just joined the Marines. Will ship out for basic training middle of June for San Diego. His activity in the Church is not totally dedicated now. What chance has he got of making it religiously?

Allie,

We are from San Diego...husband was the Command Master Chief at Miramar for years. He will LOVE the area.

I'll do some checking...we've been gone a few years, but still know people there.

I LOVED my singles ward. The people are fantastic. Strong, good LDS men and women. The ward I was in was in Pacific Beach. Good, good people. So as far as members go, don't fret. He will be welcomed.

San Diego is a huge military community...PRO military. So he will be met with a lot of smiles. Will he be in Pendleton or at Miramar? Since they closed the NTC, I have no clue anymore where they go.

My oldest boy will be joining the Marines as soon as he returns from his mission (he still has a year before he is old enough for a mission). He was born in San Diego...says to tell your son...CONGRATS and oooohh rahhh (even if I don't spell it right...your son will get it).

I'm out the door heading to work, so won't be able to repost until tonight. Take care and again, don't fret. Membership is strong! Singles are strong and very friendly.

Take care.

Letrell

Thank you for your response. I worry so. He hasn't always made the best choices here. He is doing basic training in San Diego. That's all I know. Then he comes back here (Portland area) for he gun training?? I know nothing about this. An info you know, or could give, I would appreciate. Thanks

Okay, Darlin....husband just called. Here is what your son will be doing. He said this is guaranteed.

He will do basic training at the MCRT (Marine Corp Recruit Training Center) located next to the old NTC (Naval Training Center). The NTC is now mostly leased out to civilian companies...very sad to see.

He said you have nothing to worry about for basic. The Marines won't let him out of their site until 3 days before he ships out for his 1st duty station. He said no Marine is permitted off basic during basic training until the 3rd day before they leave. At that time, they are given 1 (ONE) day at the beach. Then they go back and are stuck on base again. He said the only way he can get into trouble is if he pissed off someone of higher rank or doesn't pull his own weight. Other than that, no worries.

He also said there is nothing in Portland. His 1st assignment, if he does well in Basic and advances (which he said most men/women do) will be Advanced Infantry Training at Pendleton. That's Calif, not Oregon. Pendleton is small, but nice. No place to get into trouble there either. LOL. It's on the beach..kinda...he will be across I-5 just east of the beaches. They do a lot of exercises on the beach. When Desert Shield was called, back in 1991 (???) it was the marines at Pendleton that showed up on the beaches that day. Was so cool to see...the tanks were lined straight up from the Mexico border, north, I don't remember how far. Pendleton is north San Diego. Gorgeous.

He said you really don't need to worry about him. He won't get into trouble. And if I'm remembering correctly, the LDS men/women hold Sacrament on Sunday morning.

Best to you. I hope this helps. I'm not worried about my son at all. But then, we are military AND LDS, so we know both sides and what to expect.

Take care.

Letrell

My husband said Portland is a "no go". There is no training in the Portland area. I was thinking maybe Bremerton. Possibly they will give him a brief leave to visit Portland? I dunno. But husband was adamant...said he would go to MCAS Pendleton for advanced training.

Maybe when he said San Diego, the recruiter meant he would be in San Diego for all his training. Technically, Pendleton is indeed San Diego. So after that, I dunno. But there are no Marines in Portland.

:D

Lemme know....

Letrell

My 18 year old son just joined the Marines. Will ship out for basic training middle of June for San Diego. His activity in the Church is not totally dedicated now. What chance has he got of making it religiously?

Well if he can tough it out and make it through training, a pretty decent chance. It's pretty humbling to say the least, I'd say pray to have his heart and mind directed towards Christ and to remember the church as he goes through it. (Probably dedicate any fasting you do towards it as well).

Well if he can tough it out and make it through training, a pretty decent chance. It's pretty humbling to say the least, I'd say pray to have his heart and mind directed towards Christ and to remember the church as he goes through it. (Probably dedicate any fasting you do towards it as well).

Excellent response, BlackMarch! Most excellent!

Allie, if you choose to fast, please message me, tell me the day, I would love to join with you in the fast.

Letrell