The Gospel Of Jesus Christ

skeptictank

The Gospel is the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, that Jesus Christ came and ministered among men performing mighty miracles, was rejected and crucified, propitiated an infinite Atonement for all of mankind giving His own life, and rose again the third day in a glorious resurrection and ascended to Heaven and stands there in the throne of God with His Father for ever and ever.

This is the Gospel and all we do and teach is based on this. All principles and ordinances within the Church are appendages to this and all together make up the 'fulness of the gospel'.

Go to LDS.org and you can read a lot on the topic. Better yet, talk to the local missionaries.

-a-train

Thank you "outshined", I appreciate the refferences.

The Gospel is the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, that Jesus Christ came and ministered among men performing mighty miracles, was rejected and crucified, propitiated an infinite Atonement for all of mankind giving His own life, and rose again the third day in a glorious resurrection and ascended to Heaven and stands there in the throne of God with His Father for ever and ever.

This is the Gospel and all we do and teach is based on this. All principles and ordinances within the Church are appendages to this and all together make up the 'fulness of the gospel'.

Go to LDS.org and you can read a lot on the topic. Better yet, talk to the local missionaries.

-a-train

I also thank you, but in regard to both posts, I'm confounded by this- Who is the father?

Skeptictank

'The Father' is our Heavenly Father and the Father of Jesus Christ. There are a large number of references to Him in the New Testament such as Matthew 26:39 wherein Jesus prays saying: "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

The Saviour mentioned going to the Father to Mary Magdalene in John 20:17 saying: "Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God."

The Saviour spoke to John on the Isle of Patmos from Heaven and confirmed that He was there with the Father in Revelation 3:21 saying: "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne."

So, who is the Father? God.

-a-train

• 2 months later...

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are; FIRST faith in the Lord Jesus CHrist, Second repentance, Third baptism by immersion, and FOURTH the laying on of hands for the gift of the holy ghost.

It is the "Gospel of repentance".

It is our duty and blessing to know our heavenly father and "Jesus Christ, whom He has sent". The only way we can come closer to them is swallowing our pride/self righteousness/ego, and becoming teachable, and they will instruct us individually on how we can come unto them. ie repentance/obedience

There is no other way back to our father in heaven other than repentance. It is the only way we can truly confess that Christ is our personal savior, receive the baptism of fire and the holy ghost, be saved.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the whole plan of redemption which was presented to all spirits before the earth was created. It has been from the beginning and will continue through eternity. Our mortal probation and preparation is but a moment in the eternal timeframe. All of Gods commandments center on the Gospel and our progress in the plan is conditional on how well we keep His commandments and follow God's plan and not follow our own whims or be led astray by those apposed to our progress.

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are; FIRST faith in the Lord Jesus CHrist, Second repentance, Third baptism by immersion, and FOURTH the laying on of hands for the gift of the holy ghost.

It is the "Gospel of repentance".

It is our duty and blessing to know our heavenly father and "Jesus Christ, whom He has sent". The only way we can come closer to them is swallowing our pride/self righteousness/ego, and becoming teachable, and they will instruct us individually on how we can come unto them. ie repentance/obedience

There is no other way back to our father in heaven other than repentance. It is the only way we can truly confess that Christ is our personal savior, receive the baptism of fire and the holy ghost, be saved.

Tiancum,

Well put and concise answer, I can't see anything that I'd disagree with.

Believe

Repent

Be baptised

Receive Holy Ghost through laying on of hands.

Walk in obedience to Jesus, especially by fellowshiping with other saints, take communion regularly and repent of sins committed.

How about following up on PC's Q, give an answer on the conditions necessarily for last two....

Baptism: Does the baptiser need any requirements for the baptism to be effacious? Is there any requirement of specifc place, type or words in ceremony?

Holy Ghost: What are the preconditions for annointing someone with the Holy Ghost? If they are not meet does that really necessitate that the person recieving hasn't really received the Holy Ghost? If so then were does the spirit that they perform miracles/ spiritual annointing come from?

'We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.' (5th Article of Faith)

The manner by which men have been set apart and anointed with the authority to administer the ordinances or rites of the LORD has been the same throughout all history. They have always been called upon by revelation through those in authority and have been anointed by the laying on of hands.

Moses received revelation to lay hands on and to therein ordain Joshua to lead Israel (Numbers 27:15-23)) It is evident that not only did the children of Israel acknowledge Joshua as their leader, but that he was 'full of the spirit of wisdom' as a result of his anointing (or the laying on of hands) which he had received. (Deut. 34:9)

In Acts 6 we can see that seven men were made assistants to the Apostles after a prayer and by the laying on of hands.

In Acts 13 we can see that Barnabas and Saul were sent out to proclaim the gospel by 'prophets' who received a revelation to send them from 'the Holy Ghost' and that they were set apart by the laying on of hands.

One must have such an ordination to so much as authoritatively preach the gospel in the LDS view. Further, one must be so ordained in order to perform baptisms and/or the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Additionally, requirements for words to be said and the manner in which ordinances are to be performed are found in the scriptures and in the directions from the Elders in the Church which have come by revelation as did the scriptures. An example is found in 3 Nephi 11. From verse 23 to 27, the LORD gives the precise mode for baptism and the the words to be said in administering the ordinance.

In modern LDS baptisms, only a slight slip of the tongue or a small portion of the body of the baptized failing to go below the surface of the water will require that the ordinance be performed again in full accordance with the requirements given.

Also, persons having been previously baptized by one not holding the proper authority are rebaptized by those having the authority. Such a practice, I understand, was common in early Catholic history but was ultimately laid aside in the Council of Arles, August 1, 314. In the midst of the Donatist Schism in Africa, it was decided that those baptized by heretics were not to be rebaptized and a canon was passed to that effect. The protocol still exists today within Catholicism and among most Protestant groups. Although a mormon friend of mine who became non-denominational was rebaptized because his minister felt it needful.

Acts 19 actually contains an account of a rebaptism. Paul finds saints who had not 'received the Holy Ghost' since their baptism. After they were baptized again, Paul 'laid his hands upon them [and] the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. (Acts 19:6)

It should be understood that the Gift of the Holy Ghost here spoken of is not the same as the gifts of the spirit such as healings, tongues, etc. The Gift of the Holy Ghost is a singular and specific gift wherein the recipient obtains more than a spiritual talent or ability, they receive the Holy Ghost Himself. This gift cannot be obtained without baptism and the laying on of hands of those in authority. Acts 19 is a great example.

-a-train

So, the Plan of Salvation, as LDS understand, ultimately rests within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?

Yes, many non-LDS will enter the kingdom of God--especially the terrestial and telestial kingdoms. There is some discussion as to the likelihood of non-LDS entering into the Celestial Kingdom--though some believe that people of good will and sincere spiritual hunger will, if not in this existence, then in the one to come, will embrace the plan--including the latter day revelations.

IMHO, the Plan of Salvation here is similar (not =) to the Catholic perspective--one based on spiritual life being commuted through authorized sacraments, and based in one Mother Church.

So, the Plan of Salvation, as LDS understand, ultimately rests within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?

Yes, many non-LDS will enter the kingdom of God--especially the terrestial and telestial kingdoms. There is some discussion as to the likelihood of non-LDS entering into the Celestial Kingdom--though some believe that people of good will and sincere spiritual hunger will, if not in this existence, then in the one to come, will embrace the plan--including the latter day revelations.

IMHO, the Plan of Salvation here is similar (not =) to the Catholic perspective--one based on spiritual life being commuted through authorized sacraments, and based in one Mother Church.

The Plan of Salvation operates within and through the Church of the Firstborn, the Church of Jesus Christ. Birth into this world is a necessary step in the Plan of Salvation and a gift by the power of Christ to each of us individually whether born into a loving LDS home or as an orphan on the streets of Bangkok. This life is a testing phase in the plan and it is therefore necessary that many of us undergo this phase without knowledge of the Gospel.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is only the modern temporal component of the Church of the Firstborn. Many who live out their lives outside the LDS Church will enter the Celestial Kingdom, but only after they are prepared to do so with the same preparations that are required for all to enter. Such preparations will include the administration of ordinances by the LORD's servants. However, such ordinances do not constitute nor commute salvation, but provide necessary preparations that guide men to the Christ from whom salvation is obtained. Many who have these preparations will end up in the Telestial world because they won't endure to the end with Christ but are consumed by the thorns of the world. And, many who obtain these things at the very last hour will be recompensed in full as were the laborers in the vineyard (Matt 20).

The Telestial Kingdom is not reserved for good intending righteous people who were simply born in the wrong church or something, it is for those who have willfully chosen to ignore the LORD's counsels. If they don't have his counsels, they cannot ignore them and therefore cannot be judged accordingly. Even today, the vast majority of the planet is unaccountable. The great majority of all of the family of Adam will become accountable only after death, regardless of the great efforts to proclaim the gospel.

I think all Christians agree that if the LORD decided that the Chinese government should fall and one tolerating the proclamation of the Gospel should be erected, it could happen in a day. However the LORD's will is not always ours. Millions of the LORD's precious children are born, live, and die in a land where the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is completely forbidden. I think we will all discover that 'He's got the whole world in His hands' and those children will have just as much an opportunity at salvation as those of us living in Christian homes. The LORD who formed this earth and holds it in its orbit is running the show here and it is His will that there exist parts of the vineyard cut off from the natural branch, but our declaration is also that it is His will that the vineyard be gathered and grown and it will ultimately be harvested and there will be both good and evil fruit throughout.

-a-train