Release from calling

Drpepper

Some obvious times:

- You're moving out of the ward boundaries.

- You have a new job and the time schedule commitment conflicts with your calling.

Some not so obvious times:

- The time commitments greatly interferes with your duties with your family.

- You're unable to magnify your calling and the lack of focus affects others to perform their calling.

- Other significant life change where you feel that you should re-direct your focus back to yourself and your family.

Just some initial thoughts.

I had to be released from callings at one point - I was a stake missionary which mean5 I should have had no other callings but I had 4 other callings - with college, work and caring for my mother it became too much. I would say if you are struggling don't do what I ended up doing and breaking down to a member of high council talk to your bishop.

When is it ok to ask for a release from a calling or is that never appropriate unless transgression is involved?

I personally do not think one should ever ask directly to be released. However, if there are situations in one's life that has changed since being sustained - it is wise to consult with the authority by which one was called. For example if one was called by a member of the bishopric then one could consult with that member of the bishopric.

During this time of consulting - explain your concerns about fulfilling your calling and seek council and advice. If one cannot give the time needed explain how much time (and when) is available to dedicate to that particular calling. Also one may wish to indicate if there are difficulties within the family or with finances.

The point, I believe is; give feed back rather than demands. This also plays if one is struggling with a calling and feels that they are falling short (not doing a good enough job) - Talk to the authority that called you and ask for help. Do not forget to talk to the L-rd about it in your prayers.

The Traveler

I grew up with the idea that one does not refuse a calling nor ask to be released. Because such things should come by revelation and I don't want to miss any blessing the lord might want me to have.

I still believe that, but over time I have learned a bit more how revelation works.

I have learned that two people who have a stewardship (you in your calling and the bishop) who are prayerfully counseling together on the challenges is a powerful trigger for revelation. I have learned that while the bishop can receive revelation about my struggles... It seems that such revelation is most of the time suppose to come from my own mouth.

So for me its not such much in asking to be released or to refuse a call... Its about making sure the bishop has as much related information as I can give him so he can do what he is suppose to do.

My job changed from being in town all the time to being on the road 60-75% of the time.

I asked for a release and was given one and shortly after called to something I could handle long distance.

Then after a couple years a really major health problem ended my being on the road permanently (but did cause other issues that affected some of my physical abilities too) so I let the Bishop know that also.

Any time your life situation changes, you should examine whether you can not only magnify your calling but also whether you can even meet the minimum requirements and discuss it with the Bishop if you feel you can not.

I just recently asked to be released from one of my callings. My husband and I don't/didn't see each other at Church because of my calling. It was having a horrible effect on me and I had no problems saying...let's stay home today.

I took it to the Bishop, told him I wanted to be released; in his kindness he simply asked if I would mind telling him the reason. He clarified that I should not feel bad about asking but that he was curious. I told him flat out the reason and he said he most certainly understood and it would be handled as quickly as they could replace me; which they did. The one in my former position is now a "two-some". Husband and wife.

Amazing. The Bishop ... our Bishop ... is wonderful. Truly a good man that listens to the Lord. He found an easy way to fill the position without making another sister (or brother) feel as I was feeling...call them as one. What a brilliant solution.

Don't fret over it. Go talk to your Bishop. He is a Bishop, not the Prophet. I try to think of why I was called if it was only for a few months, and I think I can put my finger on a few reasons..probably none of them correct. LOL.

Hope my thoughts help a tiny bit anyway.

Letrell

I asked to be released from one two years ago. I gave the Bishopric 90 days to replace me. I was unable to work with someone and it was detrimental to both of us and our callings so I quit. Otherwise I would likely have stopped going.

Most callings are from God and are prayed over, I have had occasion when I was flipped with another member because the Stake didn't want a HP serving in an EQ Presidency. No Prayer just administrative, I was flat out told that.

I am not cavalier about callings but we need to do what is best for ourselves as well. Pray to the Lord and ask him about it then talk to the Bishop.

If you really feel you need to be released then tell them, it helps if you can give them some time to replace you, but in the end it is between you and Heavenly Father.

A calling is a position or a job as you might put it within a ward. Positions within a ward are non paid and therefore people are "called" to fulfill that position. A ward is a local congregation within a geographical area.

For example: A Bishop's position is a calling. Someone that teaches Sunday School is called to be a Sunday School teacher.

Hi folks...what is a "calling"? I'm new to the forum & making my way through the different sections here (have also started reading the Book of Mormon).

Thank you!

Tim Ouellette

YAY! You will love the Book of Mormon. If you would like a "study guide" while you read, follow this link to the Church website for the Book of Mormon student manual. (I LOVE manuals...they help me understand more of what I am reading and it is most helpful trying to figure out the customs and attitudes of the early time periods.

This link is to a lot of Church issued manuals. ENJOY!!!:D

Institute

Letrell

YAY! You will love the Book of Mormon. If you would like a "study guide" while you read, follow this link to the Church website for the Book of Mormon student manual. (I LOVE manuals...they help me understand more of what I am reading and it is most helpful trying to figure out the customs and attitudes of the early time periods.

This link is to a lot of Church issued manuals. ENJOY!!!:D

Institute

Letrell

Thanks so much Letrell! I've bookmarked the link & will check out the information. I'm only at 1 Nephi 6 & have a LONG way to go, but I'm plugging away;-)

I must admit, I'm not sure how to process what I've read thus far from LDS members regarding what seems to be an emotional aspect of their testimonies. I've studied Catholic theology & philosophy for some time and am used to a sort of sanitized, bit by bit, line by line explication of books of the bible and have not experienced much in the way of emotional responses from fellow Catholics...don't get me wrong, I appreciate the LDS testimonies I've read...it's just somewhat of a different world for me.

Does that make sense?

Tim O.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is personal. Even with all our opinions, the harsh reality of it all is that your life is between you and Lord...between you and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

We are emotional about the Gospel and the Plan of Salvation because our very immortality and eternal life are affected by all of this.

The Plan is pretty simple. The Gospel really is pretty simple. Just so very much to learn...to contemplate. However, back to basics. It is your right to choose for yourself how you will live your life. It is your RIGHT. The Lord, Jesus Christ, died giving that to you.

It's an amazing gift. So..emotional to us. Heck, yeah, it is. What each of us does with that gift is in itself a gift we give back to the Savior.

Enjoy what you learn. It will change your life.

I am so excited for you and all who are investigation....you are exercising your right to choose.

We all stand by you, regardless of how you decide. Enjoy what you learn. And know you are among friends and we will all do everything we can to answer questions.

Have you attended church yet?

Have a great week?

Letrell

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is personal. Even with all our opinions, the harsh reality of it all is that your life is between you and Lord...between you and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

We are emotional about the Gospel and the Plan of Salvation because our very immortality and eternal life are affected by all of this.

The Plan is pretty simple. The Gospel really is pretty simple. Just so very much to learn...to contemplate. However, back to basics. It is your right to choose for yourself how you will live your life. It is your RIGHT. The Lord, Jesus Christ, died giving that to you.

It's an amazing gift. So..emotional to us. Heck, yeah, it is. What each of us does with that gift is in itself a gift we give back to the Savior.

Enjoy what you learn. It will change your life.

I am so excited for you and all who are investigation....you are exercising your right to choose.

We all stand by you, regardless of how you decide. Enjoy what you learn. And know you are among friends and we will all do everything we can to answer questions.

Have you attended church yet?

Have a great week?

Letrell

Well said, Letrell; and thank you for such a thoughtful reply! I've not attended any LDS services as yet, though I would like to at some point.

I loved what you said above: It's an amazing gift. So..emotional to us. Heck, yeah, it is. What each of us does with that gift is in itself a gift we give back to the Savior.

Thanks again for your replies, I'm looking forward to learning more!

Tim O.

My feeling is that if you're working to fulfill your responsibilities and magnifying your calling, you should be in tune with the Lord's plan for you in your calling. One of those responsibilities is working with your presiding authority(s) as appropriate. And if they are in tune as they should be (yes, I know we're talking about some real assumptions here), it seems sensible that they would receive revelation as to whether your feelings are correct or whether there is an opportunity for growth available that you can foster together.

If things aren't as they should be in terms of being in tune with the Spirit, it gets more complicated.

But maybe that's just my thinking.

Thanks for everyones responses. i went and spoke to my Bishop as everyone pretty much suggested. He encouraged me to keep my calling and serve the Lord... no surprises there, he he...

its just a shame that I now will have to put my studies on hold as a cant do both. I guess thats just sacrifice.

its just a shame that I now will have to put my studies on hold as a cant do both. I guess thats just sacrifice.

Maybe it's another matter of faith? I think of it as the "Nephi principle" -- you know, 1 Nephi 3:7. Saying and doing are of course two different things, but I've found that every time I made the decision to trust the Lord it worked out somehow. I'm thinking back to grad school, long-term illness, etc., and recently a particularly demanding calling while dealing with a very difficult baby. I've learned that big or small, when I put forth my best effort to do what I'm asked, a way opens up somehow. That effort is often difficult though.

Again, saying and doing are two very different things. I hope things settle out for the best in your situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I was released from a calling after asking to be released. No reason to get hung up over it, in my case it was an issue of being honest enough to go to the Bishop and explain my circumstances. After some consideration he agreed. It wasn't that I wasn't willing to do what I was asked to do, it was that I was physically unable to do what I was asked to do. I've since been called to something else and being taught what the calling requires of me.

Someone told me once never to turn down a calling. In this case I had to learn to be humble enough to approach someone and say, "I can't do this." It was okay.