What would you do if you saw a child alone in a car?

Backroads

This question has led to quite the debate on another forum of mine, so I thought I'd bring it over here.

If you saw a child alone in a parked car, what would you do? Would location, age of child, a million other details, impact your decision?

This question has led to quite the debate on another forum of mine, so I thought I'd bring it over here.

If you saw a child alone in a parked car, what would you do? Would location, age of child, a million other details, impact your decision?

Yes. An infant or toddler on a hot day in the middle of a lonely (no other people near by) parking lot? 911 immediately.

A school-aged child at a gas station with a window cracked? I'd assume mom or dad was just inside paying for the gas and would be out shortly. I'd keep an eye out but not call 911.

Yeah, I live in a place that gets to 118 in the summer, kid alone in a parked car is an immediate 911 call.

If all windows were down and it was a place like a gas station where a quick run into the store is normal, then like jenmarie said, keep an eye out.

Edited by jerome1232

Had this discussion with friends on facebook a few months ago, and I totally got raked over the coals for sharing the story of why I will never leave my child alone in a car, someone thought I was fearmongering, I personally thought it was an extreme reaction likely due to a guilty conscience.

The reason is this, when my daughter was newborn and my son was five I had never left either alone in a car, but I knew that some people did for a quick errand, and I was kind of weakening because it is such a hassle to haul car seat and small child just to pay for gas, or go to the bank machine. Then in my neighbourhood, in front of my bank, a young child died when she somehow partially unbuckled herself, got her head out the window, and activated the power window button, which crushed her throat. Her mother was less than ten steps away at the cash machine. There is no amount of hassle that is worth a child's life.

So to answer the OP, I will call police if there is imminent danger, hot weather, etc. or I will give the parents about 2 mins to return to the car, and if they don't I will call police.

I think I'm close to Jennamarie on this. I am adamant about not leaving babies in cars everever and practically speaking I would carry that rule through the toddler and preschool years. But if they look to be kindergartener and up, I wouldn't think anything of it unless there were unusual circumstances. 'Course, I will probably run into exceptions on both spectrums.

WordNerd, it's such stories that led to such a great debate on my other forum.

WordNerd, it's such stories that led to such a great debate on my other forum.

I know I'm on the extreme end of never in this discussion, but that event horrified me especially because it was so close to home (and maybe the postpartum hormones contributed), but I have never had cause to regret my decision, unlike the poor mother at my bank and I'm grateful for that.

My son is 13 now, he wants to sit in the car, and I won't let him lol! I don't really believe that it would be harmful to leave him at this age, but honestly you never know, and sometimes you just stick to things to uphold the principle. I made an absolute rule for my family and I am going to stick with it. When he drives himself he can sit in the car all he wants.

On an only slightly related note, today I observed an ambulance pull up to an old man who wasn't moving in his power scooter.

The man acknowledged them, and he was fine I guess, but I am glad notice was taken. He could've been in big trouble, it was hot today.

In the past when I was a bartender, the place I worked had windows overlooking the parking lot.

If a mother came into the establishment I refused to serve her. Take the kids to a babysitter, then come back.

I then called the other bars & taverns in town to alert them that Ms. So & So was out with the kiddos and wanting to drink.

They refused her service too. Why? Because months earlier another mother left her baby in the car while she proceeded to drink. She went to every place in town (total of 6) Just before heading home her last stop was the Liquor Store, she downed the pint of hard booze before she even got two blocks away. On her way home she crashed the car, killing the baby.

She and her husband sued the last establishment she went into for continuing to serve her until she was too drunk to drive. They lost because they named the liquor store. Since it is State run, they can't be sued.

No matter the weather, if a mother came into my bar, I went to the door looking for her car. If there were kids in it- then she was given a choice. Leave and go home or stay and wait for the cops I would be calling. They all chose to leave.

If the car with children in it is in front of a bar or restaurant that has a lounge in it, I will go into the place and see if mommy &/or Daddy are drinking. If they are visible intoxicated I call the cops.

When I lived in AZ, if there were children and/or animals in a car I called the cops. Not 911 - but the non-emergency number. Only once did I call 911 and that was because the 4 toddlers in the car had extremely red faces and didn't respond when I pounded on the window. It was 90 out (not quite winter yet) but it was hot as Hades INSIDE that car.

It's situation dependent. I imagine most people are thinking about kids trapped in a hot car, growing up I was more likely to see the car idling to keep the heater on while adult/parent was (briefly) absent rather than a kid in potentially hyperthermia inducing conditions. Not that there aren't dangers, but it's a different set.

I have big kids, 10 and 12. And a bay 16 months. I have left the big kids with the baby, for a few minutes. They know how to open the door and find me if need be. So no big deal. I would be ticked if someone called me on that. I would never, even for a moment leave the baby. Even in my driveway if I forget something I take him out or have a big kid sit with him.

It's stories like wordnerd's that give me great fear to leave my children in the car, with my first on the way it's one of the things I have worried about most. I don't believe weather really matters or if the parents have just "ran in to pay for gas" that still leaves chance to someone stealing the child. Windows down and just running in I probably wouldn't call but I would be watching VERY closely. Windows up? no idling car? and all the kids are under 12ish at a place such as a grocery store, calls would be made! I also wouldn't feel bad for them if they came out to their car with a broken window and cops standing around. On cold days there is just as much risk leaving them in the car; it can still become too warm, but it can also become much too cold.

If the child was an infant or a toddler (as others have mentioned) I'd certainly notify someone of it. I wouldn't second guess myself either but I'm the same way when it comes to animals left inside unattended cars. I believe in some places it is illegal to leave pets inside vehicles unsupervised.

I have watched cars for a couple of minutes waiting to parents to come back if there was no immediate danger. Then I let them know its a terribly dangerous thing to do with their kids. I have never called anyone but would in a flash if they were left over a couple of minutes and there was immediate danger like heat or cold.

You know I could have been a pedophile watching those kids instead of an old grandmother wanting the kids to be safe. It just isnt safe for so many reasons.

Then I let them know its a terribly dangerous thing to do with their kids.

To date, we've encountered maybe a dozen or so folks like Anne, maybe a couple possible bad guys, but zero confirmed bad guys.

We let our kids (12 & 9) be alone in cars in public, whenever we deem it safe and appropriate to do so, and we see a good enough reason to do so. (It's been like maybe 5 times total, usually 2-4 minutes, never longer than 10 minutes.) When this happens in a public place, we take steps to make the kids hard to spot. Mostly to keep from being targeted by folks like Anne*, but also to keep them from being targeted by bad guys.

You know I could have been a pedophile watching those kids instead of an old grandmother wanting the kids to be safe. It just isnt safe for so many reasons.

Well, a tiny percentage of any town-or-larger demographic will be a predator. We assume their existence.

(*In case of Anne, the kids practice a range of responses, given according to the behavior of the Anne. Usually ignoring, or maybe politely thanking for the concern, but occasionally making a big screaming scene and attracting lots of attention.)

To date, we've encountered maybe a dozen or so folks like Anne, maybe a couple possible bad guys, but zero confirmed bad guys.

We let our kids (12 & 9) be alone in cars in public, whenever we deem it safe and appropriate to do so, and we see a good enough reason to do so. (It's been like maybe 5 times total, usually 2-4 minutes, never longer than 10 minutes.) When this happens in a public place, we take steps to make the kids hard to spot. Mostly to keep from being targeted by folks like Anne*, but also to keep them from being targeted by bad guys.

Well, a tiny percentage of any town-or-larger demographic will be a predator. We assume their existence.

(*In case of Anne, the kids practice a range of responses, given according to the behavior of the Anne. Usually ignoring, or maybe politely thanking for the concern, but occasionally making a big screaming scene and attracting lots of attention.)

I figure a kid over 6 or 7 is old enough to leave in a car for a bit unless its hot. Or they are brats. Or having a bratty day. :D I suppose you should know that I lived in the extremely hot deserts in S. Cal for a dozen years or so. Every single year kids died there from being left for a minute or two in cars. It was always heartbreaking and the parents were broken from it. Didnt stop it from happening. I decided I would rather be a old lady people laughed at than a person who didnt want to interfere with some parents child raising practices. That extreme heat is moving north in recent years so will do the same here on hot days. Laugh, it doesnt bother me but for every child some interfering busy body saves, the laughing is worth it.

Edited by annewandering

I have watched cars for a couple of minutes waiting to parents to come back if there was no immediate danger. Then I let them know its a terribly dangerous thing to do with their kids. I have never called anyone but would in a flash if they were left over a couple of minutes and there was immediate danger like heat or cold.

I"m a lot more concerned about temperature issues than I am about pedophiles since that seems to be a rather rare occurence, but it's true, you never know.

One note on the grandmother thing (though don't take it as a criticism, Ann! It's just an anectdote!)

I heard of a case where a few kids, including a teenager, hung out in the car (with a cell phone) while Mom ran into the store.

In the store, Mom's phone rings. It's the teenager, telling her some old grandmother is harassing them. Mom comes out to find an old lady hysterially screaming at the kids and the mother for leaving them in the car. Younger kids are terrified and bawling.

So it might be a good idea to keep a neighborly eye on the kids but good Samaritans should know not to make the situation worse.

So it might be a good idea to keep a neighborly eye on the kids but good Samaritans should know not to make the situation worse.

Of course. :) Otherwise good Samaritans hardly applies! And yes temp is more of an issue. Sometimes its not the only issue however. Kids can even get themselves in trouble. One time, when I was three, my mom and a friend were picking chokecherries. Us kids were playing around in the car. It was on a slight slope so naturally my next younger brother, the one who always was getting us in trouble, shifted the gear to neutral and away we went. Right into the large creek overturned. Now my mom was standing right next to us. Can you imagine what we could have gotten in trouble doing if she wasnt even there?

It is just not a good idea to leave young children in a car untended. Or anywhere for that matter dont you think?

It is just not a good idea to leave young children in a car untended. Or anywhere for that matter dont you think?

I guess it depends on the age and maturity of the young children in question, "young" being such a vague modifier. But yes, parents should use common sense more often!

There was a baby left alone in a car in the parking lot at the grocery store today while mom was shopping, windows were down quite a bit, but it was still hot in my car with the windows down, I just don't get where people think that it is ok. Mom was called to customer service, someone else had noticed it was calling the police as i walked past and another person notified the store, firefighters just happened to be at the store shopping and they were standing by to bust in if needed.