Favorite mainstream authors?

LDSGirl24

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any authors whose books I could buy at, like, Barnes & Noble, as opposed to having to trek to an LDS bookseller whenever I want books. As long as it's clean and fiction, that's all I really care about. What/who are your favorites?

Some of my current favorite authors (LDS) are Jeffrey Scott Savage, Sheralyn Pratt, Steve Westover, Julie Coulter Bellon, Anne Perry and Jack Lyon. My favorite non-LDS authors are Jan Karon, Jamie Ford, John Grisham and Maeve Binchy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time!

I very much like Anne Perry. She has a new series set in the early 1900's but man the prices just knock me out. That is why I go to the ebooks on B&N. There are 2 million free books on there. Many of those are new authors. Amazon has the same for Kindle. Not only do you help new authors get started but you get true bargains. The first in series are often free and they charge a low fee for the later ones.

And I know that is not your question. lol.

Mostly I am not fond of main stream authors.

If you like sf I can recommend Terry Pratchett. He has started a new series that I have not read yet but his disc world are second to no one.

My favorite serial killer author is Kay Hooper. She writes a great story and is clean.

**** Francis writes great mysteries from the horse racing world. I am not into gambling but the insight is quite educational.

I love Tony Hillerman. Lots of insight into Navajo customs with the detective stories.

James Patterson has some excellent books out there. Some of his recent series are directed to young adult so are very clean.

Iris Johansen has some very good thrillers.

Always enjoy a Jonathan Kellerman book. Oh, you should know one of his main characters is a middle aged gay cop. Not pushy or anything but does give some of his background as a gay cop. Not an easy life to live. His series predates the current gay propaganda so is very mild.

His wife, Faye, writes a good mystery with lots of Jewish culture intertwined.

C.L. Bevill has a great series called Bubba. She is a new author and the books are inexpensive. They are mild mysteries with lots of good humor and NO sex or graphic violence if any violence. She also has a shapeshifter series and a Louisiana swamps paranormal series, the Lake series, that are good. The shapeshifter probably has some sex, dont remember, but the Louisiana one does not.

Ok I will stop. lol.

Edited by annewandering

My favorite serial killer author is Kay Hooper. She writes a great story and is clean.

I've read some of her books, the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. I would not exactly classify them as "clean". However, I have not read her other books, so it could be just that series.

Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti write some action-laced spiritual thrillers. They have appeared on best seller lists (secular), but identify as Christian. While the spiritual undertones are not hidden, these are not feel-good writers, and there is little heavy-handed speech-making, so common in the over Christian novel genre.

Specific books of interest. Dekker: Thr3e and The Circle Series are especially good.

For Peretti: The Visitation is especially interesting. It deals with the idea of a false christ who comes to a small town. In the process he criticizes some things that happen in the church world (general Christian--for example, a faith-healing session that goes bad).

Bottom-line: These writers are Christian. They are not skeptics. However, they are not afraid to poke and prod and human failings. So, they are not preachy. They are authentic.

I've read some of her books, the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. I would not exactly classify them as "clean". However, I have not read her other books, so it could be just that series.

Those are the ones. By not clean what do you mean? Serial killer books tend to have violence somewhat on the order of csi or bones.

• 2 weeks later...