I got a priesthood blessing

tvgirl81

Hi,

I have was a Mormon for a few months then took my name off the records (family issues... long story) and went back to the Catholic church. recently I have had a relationship problem and issues with my job that have made me sad.

I thought I would call the church and they said I could get a priesthood blessing of comfort. I was surprised since I am not a member and had taken my name off the records. Anyway, I talked to the Bishop for about 10 minutes, so he could get some background on me and my issues. He said he needed it to feel the holy spirit (I might be wrong how he worded it).

So, he placed his hands on my head and gave me a blessing. It was somewhat comforting, but he told me I should pray and read the scriptures and the Book of Mormon. He also said the holy spirit will guide me to where I need to go. After the blessing he said something about a singles ward.

I wanted to know if he made the blessing up. I mean I did feel a bit of comfort. I do believe in God and that he will guide me. I was just in a stumbling block,so please don't question me on my beliefs.

I will be honest, part of me wants to know if the blessing was 100% made up, but another part of me wants to believe it, because I sort of think the Mormon church seems so happy. I think I would be happy with a Mormon husband...

Edited by tvgirl81

I am a little confused by the word "stuff" used, which "stuff" are you referring to as made up?

The blessings of the priesthood are for anyone who exercises faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. If you have faith in Jesus Christ then ask any priesthood holder for a blessing from the LDS Church.

What the bishop is gathering is information pertaining to your life, your thoughts, and desires. I, also, do the same thing when I have not met a person, or even if it is a close friend. I have noticed while they speak that the Lord will enlighten my mind on some points he would like me to address. I, also, like to ask the receiver to say a heart felt prayer expressing to the Lord their sincere desires to bring the spirit more into the room, our minds, and our hearts.

His advice is correct. The spirit of the Lord will guide you -- if you are humble enough to listen to its gentle voice.

Not sure what you mean by 100% made up? The blessing? No, the blessing was not made up, blessings come from two sources: the Lord's spirit and the sincere desires of the giver of the blessing.

These blessings are similar to when Jacob laid his hands upon his twelve sons, and the two sons of Joseph. As we seek to know God's spirit more, then we are able to hear his voice during a blessing and speak his will, or we will speak according to the righteous desires of our hearts.

I know I am happy being married to a Mormon wife... :)

I could answer your question... but I don't think my answer will help you. I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet.

My recommendation:

1) Have a personal prayer with God about your experience and ask for the Holy Spirit to guide you.

2) Open your Book of Mormon to Alma 32, then read Moroni 10. I would also recommend reading Doctrine & Covenants section 9.

3) Pray about what you have read.

I think this will help you more than just discussing whether or not the Bishop's blessing was 'made up' or not.

Edited by skippy740
Added hyperlinks for easy referencing

Hi,

I will be honest, part of me wants to know if it was 100% made up, but another part of me wants to believe it, because I sort of think the Mormon church seems so happy. I think I would be happy with a Mormon husband...

I assume your question is, is the blessing real? If not correct me.

I could tell you what I believe, but it will do nothing for you in convincing you one way or another. Lot of things can be put off as "supernatural", "made up", or "very real" when they are not.

I have given a few blessings before. There have been a few times where I knew without a doubt what I was saying was given to me straight from heaven. (through the spirit). There is no way I would have been able to say things I have said. There have been other blessings where I felt guided in what I said but they were just comforting words for the person nothing out of the ordinary that could be taken as, "just a knowledgeable person".

In this part of the quote:

So, he placed his hands on my head and gave me a blessing. It was somewhat comforting, but he told me I should pray and read the scriptures and the Book of Mormon. He also said the holy spirit will guide me to where I need to go.

This is the test. Every man will walk this and determine for himself what the answer is. Notice its the spirit which guides us. It not easy to understand it or determine what is personal thought or the spirit. How we learn to recognize the spirit is by reading the scriptures, if we stop reading we lose our ability to recognize it thus fall away from God.

So why the book of mormon? Because, its revealed word from the heavens. The purpose is to determine if its true. Most people already believe in the bible yet there are many religions based off it. Your asking about mormonism? Than read the book of mormon and see if Christ really did Call those prophets, really did appear in America to the nephite civiliation, If the book really does teach about Christ and bring you closer to him or its inspired from the devil and leads you away from him.

This is what you should find out. If I would have you lean on my testimony to get yourself started I will testify I believe it to be true. I believe by the power of the holy ghost the book of mormon is true. To find out do exactly whats in that quote. Read the BOM, pray, and see where the spirit takes you.

Isn't it beautiful? No convincing on our part ;), just you and the Lord.

What part of you is sayings its true? Mind? Heart? Which part is sayings its not? Is it your mind trying to convince you its not? Which answer does you heart dwell on? Which answer does your heart and mind go to when you STOP feeling confused on if its true or not?

Hi,

I have was a Mormon for a few months then took my name off the records (family issues... long story) and went back to the Catholic church. recently I have had a relationship problem and issues with my job that have made me sad.

I thought I would call the church and they said I could get a priesthood blessing of comfort. I was surprised since I am not a member and had taken my name off the records. Anyway, I talked to the Bishop for about 10 minutes, so he could get some background on me and my issues. He said he needed it to feel the holy spirit (I might be wrong how he worded it).

So, he placed his hands on my head and gave me a blessing. It was somewhat comforting, but he told me I should pray and read the scriptures and the Book of Mormon. He also said the holy spirit will guide me to where I need to go. After the blessing he said something about a singles ward.

I wanted to know if he made the blessing up. I mean I did feel a bit of comfort. I do believe in God and that he will guide me. I was just in a stumbling block,so please don't question me on my beliefs.

I will be honest, part of me wants to know if the blessing was 100% made up, but another part of me wants to believe it, because I sort of think the Mormon church seems so happy. I think I would be happy with a Mormon husband...

If you want answers from man - ask of men. If you want answers from G-d then you should ask G-d.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

If you want to know if the bishop gave a blessing from G-d - you need to ask G-d for such an answer.

The Traveler

Here is some scriptures on recognizing truth:

Doctrine and Covenants 8:2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.

3 Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground.

D&C 9:8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.

Stupor of thought comes when you "current decision" is incorrect. So say I was asking if blessings are real. I feel ok about this, than my mind starts second guessing it and goes to its not real. I start ot feel really confused over the answer. This stuppor of thought means its false.

If I switched back to the original statement, and its true, my soul and mind rests (at peace) than it is probably right. Though my mind still may be second guessing it my heart is at peace with the "thought of the mind at that moment".

Hope that makes sense.

Some bible references:

1 John 4:2

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

“Put difficult questions in the back of your minds and go about your lives. Ponder and pray quietly and persistently about them.

“The answer may not come as a lightning bolt. It may come as a little inspiration here and a little there, ‘line upon line, precept upon precept’ (D&C 98:12).

“Some answers will come from reading the scriptures, some from hearing speakers. And, occasionally, when it is important, some will come by very direct and powerful inspiration. The promptings will be clear and unmistakable.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1979, p. 30; or Ensign, Nov. 1979, p. 21.)

Finally:

Light of Christ versus the Holy Ghost

“One manifestation of the light of Christ is conscience, which helps a person choose between right and wrong. As people learn more about the gospel, their consciences become more sensitive. People who hearken to the light of Christ are led to the gospel of Jesus Christ” (The Guide to the Scriptures, “Light, Light of Christ;” see also D&C 84:46–47).

President Boyd K. Packer taught: “The voice of the Spirit is described in the scripture as being neither ‘loud’ nor ‘harsh.’ It is ‘not a voice of thunder, neither … voice of a great tumultuous noise.’ But rather, ‘a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper,’ and it can ‘pierce even to the very soul’ and ‘cause [the heart] to burn.’ (3 Ne. 11:3; Hel. 5:30; D&C 85:6–7.) Remember, Elijah found the voice of the Lord was not in the wind, nor in the earthquake, nor in the fire, but was a ‘still small voice.’ (1 Kgs. 19:12.)

“The Spirit does not get our attention by shouting or shaking us with a heavy hand. Rather it whispers. It caresses so gently that if we are preoccupied we may not feel it at all. (No wonder that the Word of Wisdom was revealed to us, for how could the drunkard or the addict feel such a voice?)

“Occasionally it will press just firmly enough for us to pay heed. But most of the time, if we do not heed the gentle feeling, the Spirit will withdraw and wait until we come seeking and listening and say in our manner and expression, like Samuel of ancient times, ‘Speak [Lord], for thy servant heareth.’ (1 Sam. 3:10.)” (“The Candle of the Lord,” Ensign, Jan. 1983, 53).

Read this if you have more quesitons or want more scripture references: How do I recognize the Holy Spirit and Understand it? How do I pray with Faith?

I wanted to know if he made the blessing up. I mean I did feel a bit of comfort. I do believe in God and that he will guide me. I was just in a stumbling block,so please don't question me on my beliefs....

tvgirl81,

From my expericence in giving blessings, it is helpful to focus ones mind on the need as Gods will is sought, "on the fly" if you will. Consider the importance of the faith on the part of the blessing giver and receiver, not in the blessing per say, but in God, that He can and will let His will be known and cause His blessings to distill upon you. Our Father knows our human condition and makes up for what we lack when our faith is in Him, and as we, ourselves, are ready for it.

More to your question, in this life we walk by faith and it starts with a small seed. Like you said, "I did feel a bit of comfort". You seem to be in a place where you are ready to go to the Father in prayer and ask Him. It doesn't get better than getting an answer from Him. So go ahead, test your faith in prayer like was suggested; however, it is your choice.

From my personal experience as a Priesthood Holder and an adult convert most blessings are 100% true. I won't say that at times some people don't 'make stuff up' because they don't feel anything.

I know I have given blessings where what I have said made no sense to me at all but did to the person receiving. I have given blessings where an image formed that I had to describe. I have given blessings that had nothing to do with what I was asked to give a blessing for but later ended up being what was needed.

I have taken part in a blessing where my companion was asked to perform the blessing and suddenly I was getting all kinds of stuff he paused then stepped back and said he wasn't getting anything. That's not a coincidence. For whatever reason it was better for it to come through me.

Most often I only remember bits and pieces of what I say.

Having not been raised with the idea of blessings the only logical explanation is that it comes from

God, I am not that good at making stuff up. If you want to know if yours is real pray and ask Heavenly Father if it is real then wait for his reply.

While it is always possible someone "makes up" the blessing, in my own experience of giving blessings, I have felt the Holy Spirit pour through me and direct the words I've spoken. In some blessings, I've said things that surprised me, speaking of future things for the person, then to see the promises come to pass in the future.

Having known many bishops, I'd suggest you strongly consider following his counsel in the blessing.

Understanding Priesthood blessings - What comes through a Priesthood blessing has more to do with the faith of the person receiving the blessing than the faith of the person giving the blessing. It is my experience and my witness that regardless of the faith of the priesthood holder and the words they use - if the person receiving the blessing exercises faith that they will hear in the blessing what the spirit directs them to hear.

My understanding as a priesthood holder is that I should be a worthy vessel but regardless - the priesthood is never about the priesthood holder. It is about serving and those in need.

The Traveler

Given that (in my opinion) the most commonly offered prayer from a faithful LDS priesthood holder is "Please, Lord- don't let me screw this up!", I think it extraordinarily unlikely that a faithful Priesthood holder (let alone a Bishop) would simply "make something up".

Not only would they be doing you a disservice, but they would be mocking both the trust and authority inherent in their commission, and thus mocking he who commissioned them.

They would literally be taking the Lord's name in vain.

I'm not going to suggest that there are not exceptions, nor that some might approach their calling with something less than the solemnity and respect it deserves; but with very few exceptions, most LDS priesthood holders feel the weight of the responsibility which they carry.

I can only imagine that awareness would be heightened (not lessened) when dealing with someone who already struggles with faith and trust in the Church.

Generally, you can always assume that a Priesthood blessing is "100% correct." :) Every single time I've given a blessing, the Lord has given me the words I am to use (or, at least, the idea I need to communicate). So you can safely assume that what the Bishop told you is real and came from God.

You can find greater peace and happiness by following the Gospel of Jesus Christ than in any other way. The Gospel is this: to repent of sins when you do them (part of that means not doing sins you've already repented of), to be baptized and then take the Sacrament regularly, and to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost after receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost. This all takes faith in Jesus Christ.

When we are baptized, we promise to always e obedient to all the commandments. This is sometimes difficult but, when we make a mistake or don't follow a commandment, we need to repent and then everything will be OK again.

Now, this is why the Lord's Church is so important. Being baptized, partaking of the Sacrament, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost - all of this stuff requires somebody to be able to act in "the name of the Lord." If somebody doesn't have God's permission to do these things, then those things aren't really real. There is only one place where God's permission (called 'Priesthood Keys') can be found: in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Any other Church can't really do things like Baptism or the Sacrament because they don't have God's permission to do those things.

So this brings me back to the blessing you received: because that Bishop holds the Priesthood (the real Priesthood), the blessing he gave you is real. What he told you in the blessing is the same thing Jesus Christ or Heavenly Father would have told you if they had been standing there with their hands on your head. If you do those things you were told to do, you will be doing what is right! :) I think that's pretty neat and exciting.