Garden of Eden and the Plan of Salvation.

Webster

Opposition in all things. The plan was about agency, so it had to begin with agency. Adam and Eve were in the most beautiful place with everything they needed and loved. They had to make the conscious choice to leave in order to fulfill the other commandments.

Sorry, but this is a short reply, but a long answer.

[removed link]

I would search for "Eden" in this link and just follow the various references. I think it'll help.

Edited by skippy740
I'll try for another source.

Sorry, but this is a short reply, but a long answer.

[removed link]

I would search for "Eden" in this link and just follow the various references. I think it'll help.

I've checked out this link and there is no way to do a "search". The mormonbeliefs.com website that the Lectures On Faith is linked to is written by a member of the Strangites Mormon sect. It's an interesting website but I'm not sure you would agree with his beliefs or conclusions.

M.

Edited by skippy740
removed link

I would submit the Eden epoch was a necessary element in the great plan of salvation but that the story as we have in scripture is primarily symbolic and that we all can see Adam and Eve as representative of our own decision to obtain knowledge of good and evil.

The Traveler

Was the garden of Eden necessary? What was its purpose? Why did God put Adam and Eve there?

Interested in your point of view. Short replies best.

On top of the other answers already provided, I would add that the reason for the Garden of Eden is that God created all things in their perfect condition. There had to be a falling and a corruption process from the original creation so that we would need a Savior. This is what created the situation in which there could be a test of Faith, specifically a need to have faith in a Savior.

This is similar to the typical downgrade in lifestyle a young adult faces when they leave their parents home. Suddenly they have to provide for their self and live out the things that they have been preparing for up until that time. Likewise, we knew there would be a time that we would have to say that we were able to show our faithfulness and loyalty to God's plan by our actions and desire of our heart. We would have to show our faith, not by words alone as that is what was done by passing the first estate test. The second estate test had to be one of true character, to choose God over the world of carnal temptation.

The atonement provides a way to have everything return to the original creation state, a paradisaical state. In this way, it is the transgression of Adam and Eve that brought about corruption and allowed Satan to "bruise" our heels (temptation through carnal influences). I think it is important to realize that it is through the fall of Adam that we can have joy by knowing good and evil but also that God did not "create" the evil in that He did not force it upon us. We all had to make that same decision as Adam and Eve, to stay in God's presence and not progress or to leave and fall but move forward by doing so. I think it is also important that we realize that our current state is one that came about because of that transgression and we are not like our perfected self right now. So, the excuse I hear so often of "I was born this way" or "God made me this way" is not the full picture as it takes away the credit we get for choosing to have this experience of a fallen state.