Be Not Afraid 2013

lds2

For the past several years I have kept my collection of preparedness quotes on-line in case I or some friend here needs them for a talk or FHE or wants to know what the prophets have been saying recently about these things.

http://www.lds.net/forums/preparedness/42236-not-afraid-fall-2011-a.html

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/44699-not-afraid-2012-a.html__

==================

I haven't read a lot of the last General Conference issue yet, but today we studied President Packer's "These Things I know" and these quotes really stuck out to me...

"I have come to know that faith is a real power, not just an expression of belief."

and

"All are born with the Light of Christ, a guiding influence which permits each person to recognize right from wrong. What we do with that light and how we respond to those promptings to live righteously is part of the test of mortality."

and

"We find safety and security for ourselves and our children in honoring the covenants we have made and living up to the ordinary acts of obedience required of the followers of Christ.

Isaiah said, “The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.”

That peace is also promised in the revelations in which the Lord declares, “If ye are prepared ye shall not fear.”

"Some find it difficult to withstand the mocking and unsavory remarks of foolish ones who ridicule...obedience to God’s commands. But the world has ever belittled adherence to principle. When Noah was instructed to build an ark, the foolish populace looked at the cloudless sky and then scoffed and jeered—until the rain came.

Must we learn such costly lessons over and over again? Times change, but truth persists. When we fail to profit from the experiences of the past, we are doomed to repeat them with all their heartache, suffering, and anguish. Haven’t we the wisdom to obey Him who knows the beginning from the end—our Lord...?"

President Monson

The World Needs Pioneers Today - Ensign July 2013 - ensign

• 2 months later...

"Those who have been prepared and reserved for this moment in time are here on the earth. You are here! The Lord knows what lies ahead, and this is just the beginning of your life’s race and the many mighty miracles that will occur as He hastens His work! The Lord has said, “I will hasten my work in its time.” And now is the time!"

January 15, 2013, BYU Devotional

"Prophetic Priorities and Dedicated Disciples

Sister Elaine S. Dalton

I think it is interesing how MANY times the early brethren were told NOT to do the work in haste.

Regarding "Haste" in the Scriptures:

wo unto them that say, Let him hasten his work: 2 Ne. 15:19 . ( Isa. 5:19 . )

ye shall not go out with haste, for the Lord will go before you: 3 Ne. 20:42 . ( Isa. 52:12 . )

work of gathering should not be in haste: D&C 58:56 . ( D&C 101:68, 72 . )

preach word, not in haste: D&C 60:8, 14 .

Saints to assemble in Zion, not in haste lest there be confusion: D&C 63:24 .

all things to be done in their time, not in haste: D&C 101:72 .

flight should not be in haste: D&C 133:15 .

But then there is this different quote regarding haste:

the Lord will hasten his work in its time: D&C 88:73 .

President Monson said,

Now is the time...to labor in the Lord’s vineyard to bring souls unto him...

President Thomas S. Monson, Hastening the Work Special Broadcast