negativity is slowly killing me!

My husband has become more and more negative in the past few years. I try to put a positive setting in things he is negative about but it doesn't help. I don't even want to talk to him any more because every word is so negative. I dread him coming home now. What can I do to change this? To help him be positive.

Sheri

We can't change him... but maybe we can help you?

My advice would be to agree with his negativity... and help him see that things aren't always as bad as they seem? A little reverse psychology could help go a long way.

Of course, you can always ask him for an invitation. An invitation to his pity party... because so far, he's the only one there.

Have a little fun with him and get him to smile and show that you're 'on his side'.

Sometimes all we need is a little validation of our feelings to allow ourselves to feel something different.

You can point out the positive things later but not right then, give him a chance to say what he's feeling and it be ok.

Could also start spiking his food with B vitamins and Magnesium supplements. Those are our happy pills around here. lol

• 2 weeks later...

If I try to talk to him about it he just does this big, I'm a bad person, no one likes me sort of thing. I have agreed with his negativity I have tried to help him see the positive. I just don't even want to talk to him cuz it is so discouraging.

I have tried to change the subject about something positive, and he is on meds, I actually have been thinking about taking to the dr, she is a friend of ours. Just let her know how he is, maybe she can mention something.

Yes. With depression, sometimes the medication can stop working or people's body's can develop a tolerance to the medication. It is perfectly normal for this to happen. How long has it been since he received a medication evaluation from his prescribing doctor and didn't just get a refill on his current prescription?