Paula Deen in Trouble

HoosierGuy

First Dog the Bounty Hunter and now Paula Deen! She's a famous cook/chef and having an

"old time southern" wedding was not too smart of a business move. Unless she doesn't really care and I get the feeling she does not care. Oh well. Dog the Bounty Hunter is back on one of the hundreds of cable channels. I'm sure some low rating cable network will sign her up in six months time. My money is on RFD network!

Paula Deen Scandal Continues As Employees Tell Rainbow/PUSH Coalition Of Alleged Discrimination

I don't care whether she ever works on television again. Makes no difference to me. What does matter to me is that racial discrimination must stop in this country. It's sad to think that we still haven't totally gotten past it.

I dunno...........sounds like Ms. dean is kind of getting a raw deal. I don't know her heart, but, I read through some of the posted portions of the transcript and she doesn't sound terrible or vile. The issue here is whether blacks were given less opportunity for advancement in her organization than others because of race. Sounds like she and her family and even staff told off color jokes regarding various races, gays, etc. and it sounds like her black employees used colorful language including the N word as well. Probably not the brightest idea when you are involved in a high profile business.

And I dare say...that many others have gotten a huge pass after making some well documented nasty racist comments....not just off colored comments or jokes. And how about castigating all of the filthy vile nasty use of the N word by "rappers' in "music" so-called and the use of mysogynistic language as well......where is the outrage?

Here is some of the transcript if you care to read.

Edited by bytor2112

As more of the court transcripts are coming out, it turns out the woman who brought charges against her apparently was extorting her by threatening to ruin her reputation.

It's pretty easy to blackmail someone based on racism when they grew up in the South. I'm sure glad no one judges the church because of their past. :huh:

RFD? Who are they?

My guess is that Deen will land at MSNBC, given that she's a card-carrying Obama supporter.

These things are all so inconsistent to me??? How can "Deen" be truly racist and an Obama supporter. I thought that the true sign of a racist was not being an Obama supporter???

When I lived in Maryland my next door neighbor was black and often used the n-word to describe someone. One day I thought to chat with him about how he understood concerning the n-word. He explained to me that the African-Americans that lived in a near by poor community (through which I often walked with my family) were not representative of the n-word and that many families in public housing were the n-word. He also explained that many "whites" (like me as to skin color) were the n-word type. In essence that the correct understanding of the n-word has nothing to do with race. I have come to believe if the race of someone using the n-word is a racist consideration - then that; in and of itself, will reveal a racist more than the n-word itself.

The Traveler

I got a couple friends that are on the Poor Paula Wagon. Honestly, I could careless if she ever airs again, fair or not -- I'm not a follower. She also cooks food that'll give you a heart attack! I got my own problems to worry about, worrying about whether she keeps making big bucks, is not one of them.

First Dog the Bounty Hunter and now Paula Deen! She's a famous cook/chef and having an

"old time southern" wedding was not too smart of a business move. Unless she doesn't really care and I get the feeling she does not care. Oh well. Dog the Bounty Hunter is back on one of the hundreds of cable channels. I'm sure some low rating cable network will sign her up in six months time. My money is on RFD network!

Paula Deen Scandal Continues As Employees Tell Rainbow/PUSH Coalition Of Alleged Discrimination

Unless its one of those stupid sitcom/new shows commercials on hulu I haven't even heard of either the name or the show before... and it looks like i'm better off that way lol.

I don't really care about Paula Deen, but I do feel frustrated that our media is so unfair and biased on who they pick to destroy over racist comments.

Guess who said this about our President?

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

..first main stream?

or

“you cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.”

I don't really care about Paula Deen, but I do feel frustrated that our media is so unfair and biased on who they pick to destroy over racist comments.

Guess who said this about our President?

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

..first main stream?

or

you cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.

The last quote is interesting because, as we now know, some 7-Elevens are operated by Pakistanis - not Indians.

The Traveler

Actually Bini that was your beloved Vice derp...

Matt Groening is actually much more clever

In case you were not aware Indian accents don't prevent anyone from going anywhere in America. But it was a nice try for a feeble minded buffoon

In case you were not aware Indian accents don't prevent anyone from going anywhere in America. But it was a nice try for a feeble minded buffoon

That is not nice.

I hope you didn't just call Bini a feeble minded buffoon. :eek:

I am from the South. I can remember when the n-word was just a race of people and not a dirty word.

I'm not from the south but I always felt that negro and n***** had two separate meanings. The first, indeed, describes an ethnic group but the latter, that's always seemed derogatory.

I was born and raised in Minnesota, not exactly a hotbed of the south. Also I'm about 10 years younger than Paula Deen.

I remember "colored' and white water fountains and restrooms. The n-word that everyone is so afraid of was just a word describing a race of people, it wasn't til the mid-60's that it started to become a bad word where I was. So for someone older than me, born and raised in the south, I'd give her a pass. ESPECIALLY since these comments were 15-20 years ago and said privately not publicly.

The only reason this whole fiasco is coming about is because someone wants to sue her to get some easy cash and because she actually told the truth in a deposition.

I don't particularly care for Paula Deen, don't like her recipes (too much fat in them) but she is the victim here.

Edited by mnn727

I was born and raised in Minnesota, not exactly a hotbed of the south. Also I'm about 10 years younger than Paula Deen.

I remember "colored' and white water fountains and restrooms. The n-word that everyone is so afraid of was just a word describing a race of people, it wasn't til the mid-60's that it started to become a bad word where I was. So for someone older than me, born and raised in the south, I'd give her a pass. ESPECIALLY since these comments were 15-20 years ago and said privately not publicly.

The only reason this whole fiasco is coming about is because someone wants to sue her to get some easy cash and because she actually told the truth in a deposition.

I don't particularly care for Paula Deen, don't like her recipes (too much fat in them) but she is the victim here.

27 years ago after an assault. she was sorry for it and has long since made up for it. this happening now is not justice its a witch hunt.

Speaking of Minnesota Rep Ryan Winkler just tweeted that Clarence Thomas is an uncle Tom. he apologized for it, deleted the tweet. if we are to follow the example set by whats going on with the Paula Deen fiasco, he needs to resign, or be removed from congress. I will bet you nothing will happen to him. double standards are so great.

Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

For those to whom it used to be "just a word", was it "just a word" to everyone, or to white people?

In the time I am talking about it was a word to everyone.

Young blacks still call each other that. So I guess its not that offensive to them.