Paula Deen in Trouble

HoosierGuy

My mother raised 4 children as a cook. To be honest until I went to school I only heard the the n-word. I worked sometimes cleaning tables. At that time I heard only that word used by both races in the kitchens.

It seemed to me that more people were upset because of those "colored" and "white" signs then the n-word at that time.

We are in a different world now. Words of yesterday do not mean what that once did. It is really getting hard to keep up with what is correct to say without giving offense to someone now days.

Just for clarification, are we talking about the word "negro" or the "other n-word"?

Young blacks still call each other that. So I guess its not that offensive to them.

I would say that those "young blacks" that use the n-word are punks and don't represent the population of black individuals that find that particular word offensive. I don't care how acceptable the n-word was way back when, it isn't acceptable now, and with the negative stigma the word holds it's very insensitive to continue using it.

I may be mistaken but I believe there were other accounts of Paula Deen using racial slurs that were much more recent. I think one was just last year or earlier this year. It was on the news last night but I don't recall what all that entailed..

So 1986, Did you ever laugh at the humor in "Different Strokes"? or perhaps the Cosby Show?

Ever snicker at reruns of Archie Bunker in "All in the Family"?

If you did, then I guess you're a racist too.

------

Bini - I gotta ask, how old are you?

You never ask a woman her age.

Its very germane to this conversation in my opinion,, but its certainly your right to refuse and I respect that.

In my opinion, anyone under 50 has no idea of the conditions during that time frame, because you didn't live through it.

Judging the past by today's standard, whether its Race Relations or Church history is wrong.

I personally have not used that word since I was a teen, however my older brother, age 70 uses it today at times. I give him a dirty look, which is what I would do to Paula if I heard it.

I would say that those "young blacks" that use the n-word are punks and don't represent the population of black individuals that find that particular word offensive. I don't care how acceptable the n-word was way back when, it isn't acceptable now, and with the negative stigma the word holds it's very insensitive to continue using it.

I may be mistaken but I believe there were other accounts of Paula Deen using racial slurs that were much more recent. I think one was just last year or earlier this year. It was on the news last night but I don't recall what all that entailed..

Oh..I don't know, older blacks use it as well. I think it carries a different meaning depending on the situation. If it is going to be used to label someone racist, then the word should be taboo for all.including blacks. But it is a part of their culture and a reminder to each other that they were viewed as lesser than others and perhaps they still are by some.

I don't think Paula Dean is a racist....but she may have a less than favorable opinion about various aspects of what some describe as black culture and ignorantly saddle an entire race as being that way. The thug and hip hop appearance or the ebonic speaking black seem to be how many view black people. Most people I hope understand that socio-economic conditions have a great deal to do with these type of behaviors.

This attitude of hyper-sensitivity so prevelant today offends me.

While this is a tongue-in-cheek statement, the sentiment behind it is very serious, coming from me. Nobody has a 'right' to be offended. Being offended is a choice.

The generation of "Me! Me! Me!" thinks of nobody else first, entirely contradicting what the gospel of Christ is all about.

It's not my fault other people disagree with me, nor I with them. I'm too busy trying to live my life as best I can, to be bothered being offended by someone who thinks I'm completely wrong. And there have been plenty of opportunities, to be sure.

Get over yourself, stop thinking you are the center of anything in life, and wake up to the rest of planet earth around you.