Doctrine / prophesy- will we be gathered to Utah in last days?

Bananikka

I was raised to believe we would all be called to Utah in the last days, though I'm not sure if it is real doctrine.

No, it isn't. In the past, circumstances necessitated that the Church flee, as a body, to Utah. We are currently counseled to "gather" in the stakes where we live. The New Jerusalem, when it is constructed, will be in Jackson County, Missouri; but not all of the Church will be gathered there.

Also, I've been told we would have a Mormon president eventually. Is this rumor urban legend or another piece of doctrine?

Sounds like the infamous "White Horse Prophecy", of dubious origin.

I was raised to believe we would all be called to Utah in the last days, though I'm not sure if it is real doctrine. Also, I've been told we would have a Mormon president eventually. Is this rumor urban legend or another piece of doctrine? Thanks guys!s

Utah is indeed an important gathering place and this doctrine is not some backwater LDS doctrine but it is full and precise Biblical doctrine as any concerning the Kingdom of G-d in the Last Days.

Rather than go through a long and exact explanation let us simply look at Isaiah 2:2

2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

As we read this scripture it is important to understand that the word "Utah" in the Native American language of the Ute peoples literally means, "The Top of the Mountains".

I submit that this scripture has no better interpretation and actual fulfillment than proven by the gathering of "Mormons" to Utah and the coming of official dignitaries of nations to Utah - The Top of the Mountains.

The Traveler

"Being called to Utah" is actually the complete opposite of what we've been instructed. We've been taught to stay where we are and build up Zion in our local areas wherever they may be. The Lord's work and Gospel can't fill the earth if everyone who believes in it moves to Utah.

As people have said previously we are currently being gathered in to our stakes of Zion. As it quoted in "missouri myths" there may be a further gathering but we should not be concerned about it until and if we are invited or called in the future by the prophets.

I think some people confuse gathering to "Zion" with Utah, but Zion is used to describe the pure in heart, the Church, the Intermountain West, Israel, Missouri, etc. depending on the quote, talk or scripture. I think that is why the brethren keep saying we must learn to follow the Spirit so that we can be guided and know for ourselves what we should do and how we must prepare our families for any possible future gathering or calamities which are prophecied for these "last days". (Did anyone read the amazing true life experience that loudmouth just posted about his ward? Ouch! I lived in a ward that had a calamity but it was severe flooding instead that took the homes of the families.)

Between now and the tribulations which are foretold by many prophets for us in these latter days, we were told just yesterday where to focus most of our efforts now and that is on building the Kingdom on earth now! :) My child was called last week to Asia! and I have another child who will be going in less than a year. We can expect growth in all areas of the world! I see much good done on this site as well.

================================================

ps You can learn a lot about the last day froms this talk by President Benson

April 14, 1981, Prepare Yourselves for the Great Day of the Lord, by President Ezra Taft Benson

Listen to this great talk here -

and

Speeches

"But to an otherwise gloomy picture there is a bright side—the coming of our Lord in all his glory. His coming will be both glorious and terrible, depending on the spiritual condition of those who remain.

One appearance will be to the righteous Saints who have gathered to the New Jerusalem here in America. In this place of refuge they will be safe from the wrath of the Lord which will be poured out without measure on all nations. Modern revelation provides this description:

And the glory of the Lord shall be there, and the terror of the Lord also shall be there, insomuch that the wicked will not come unto it, and it shall be called Zion.

And it shall come to pass among the wicked, that every man that will not take his sword against his neighbor must needs flee unto Zion for safety.

And there shall be gathered unto it out of every nation under heaven; and it shall be the only people that shall not be at war one with another. [D&C 45: 67–69]"

Edited by lds2

• 3 years later...

CR, L SNOW OCT:1900

Now the time is fast approaching when a large portion of the people that I am now addressing will go back to Jackson county. A great many people that are now dwelling in the State of Utah will have this privilege. Whether I, President Cannon, President Smith, or all the brethren of the Twelve will go back I know not. But a large portion of the Latter-day Saints that now dwell in these valleys will go back to Jackson county to build a holy city to the Lord, as was decreed by Jehovah and revealed through Joseph Smith.

http://www.ldslastdays.com/Zion-the-New-Jerusalem

I lost my first girlfriend to that line of thinking.  I was 7 and she was 5.  We were going to grow up and get married.  Then her father moved their family to Jackson county because he wanted to get there before the official call came.  "So you all will have a place to go", he told us.  That was in 1977.  She'd be 44 now.  Thanks a lot, conspiracy people.  

I remember her name was Laurel.  I don't remember her last name - my wife tells me her last name is Stinkbottom.  Although I'm sure it's hyphenated now - old Laurel Stinkbottom-NotNeuroTypical.  She might be a grandma for all I know.

On 6/23/2013 at 7:23 PM, Bananikka said:

I was raised to believe we would all be called to Utah in the last days, though I'm not sure if it is real doctrine. Also, I've been told we would have a Mormon president eventually. Is this rumor urban legend or another piece of doctrine? Thanks guys!s

Mormon Urban Legend,  most definitely to doctrine. 

10 hours ago, jeremiah58morgan said:

CR, L SNOW OCT:1900

Now the time is fast approaching when a large portion of the people that I am now addressing will go back to Jackson county. A great many people that are now dwelling in the State of Utah will have this privilege. Whether I, President Cannon, President Smith, or all the brethren of the Twelve will go back I know not. But a large portion of the Latter-day Saints that now dwell in these valleys will go back to Jackson county to build a holy city to the Lord, as was decreed by Jehovah and revealed through Joseph Smith.

http://www.ldslastdays.com/Zion-the-New-Jerusalem

So what? This does not make it doctrinal and I wonder how many of the people he was addressing went back if any....I most certainly would not apply to me. 

• pam featured this topic

I have also only ever heard that Jackson County, Missouri was the final reunion grounds. On a similar note, I have also heard people tell me that it is so because Jackson County, Missouri was allegedly home to the garden of Eden. I have not run across any doctrinal evidence to either support or dispute such claims. 

This idea doesn't just come from the White Horse Prophecy (which is not upheld as true by the Church, is third hand information after a long passage of time, and which contains numerous errors). It comes from the prophecies of George Albert Smith and one reported by Wilford Woodruff and attributed to John Taylor. Both saw in vision an attack on the U.S. which had survivors from around the country trying to make their way to Utah for sustenance and safety. Migration to Zion in Missouri would come later. 

23 minutes ago, gale said:

This idea doesn't just come from the White Horse Prophecy (which is not upheld as true by the Church, is third hand information after a long passage of time, and which contains numerous errors). It comes from the prophecies of George Albert Smith and one reported by Wilford Woodruff and attributed to John Taylor. Both saw in vision an attack on the U.S. which had survivors from around the country trying to make their way to Utah for sustenance and safety. Migration to Zion in Missouri would come later. 

References, please?

Wow - three new members!  jeremiah58morgan, Jethco, and gale.  All showing up within days of each other to comment on a 3 year old post!

So, you folks all from the same website or discussion group or something?  Let us get to know you!  

I'm hoping you are AVOW/ldsfreedomforum/RogerKYoung people, because I've been dying to ask you folks if the recent wikileak-style leaked video discussing the church's preps has had an impact in your thinking. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

Those of us from more righteous countries dread the call to Utah as none of us believe that we are sufficiently wicked to deserve such a cruel punishment. Actually, now that I think about it, probably there is nobody who is so wicked as to deserve that punishment.  :) 

9 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Those of us from more righteous countries dread the call to Utah as none of us believe that we are sufficiently wicked to deserve such a cruel punishment. Actually, now that I think about it, probably there is nobody who is so wicked as to deserve that punishment.  :) 

Since you are speaking such blasphemy, I'm sure you will be called. :P

2 hours ago, gale said:

FIRST: Can you share a official source?  Or something more official?  The reason I'm asking is that I've recently come across some other highly disseminated quotes from supposedly reputable sources only to find out that the sources never said them.

Not only that, but I've also had someone directly say they remembered a conversation with a prophet personally, only to have them recant when an official church source said otherwise.  They simply admitted, "Well, I guess I was mistaken."

SECOND: I can see some logic to the claim, though, that when the dollar is devalued that only those with tangible assets such as food and the ability to produce food will be sought after.  But that really has nothing to do with Utah specifically.  And the notion of gathering in Utah is counter to many other revelations that have been given about both Missouri and gathering at our stakes.

Edited by Guest

• pam unfeatured this topic