What's your basis for using the Thank button?

Bini

Do you only use the Thank button if you agree with someone? Do you use the Thank button when someone has taken time to explain their differing opinion? Or do you use the Thank button in both situations?

I notice here in the forum that there are two groups of posters, conservative thinkers and liberal thinkers, nothing wrong with either. I also notice that people tend to use the Thank button based on agreement. In heated discussions we'll see a post with multiple thanks from others that support that opinion. But I've also noticed a couple individuals, I won't single them out, that use the Thank button to show appreciation for the other person in taking the time to explain their differing point of view. I generally don't tend to be one of those people. I guess I tend to reserve my thanks for posters that I see eye-to-eye with. What about you?

Do you only use the Thank button if you agree with someone? Do you use the Thank button when someone has taken time to explain their differing opinion? Or do you use the Thank button in both situations?

I notice here in the forum that there are two groups of posters, conservative thinkers and liberal thinkers, nothing wrong with either. I also notice that people tend to use the Thank button based on agreement. In heated discussions we'll see a post with multiple thanks from others that support that opinion. But I've also noticed a couple individuals, I won't single them out, that use the Thank button to show appreciation for the other person in taking the time to explain their differing point of view. I generally don't tend to be one of those people. I guess I tend to reserve my thanks for posters that I see eye-to-eye with. What about you?

I use the thank you button (when I remember) for two reasons. First - because I think the person has posted something I find helpful, profound, brilliant and intelligent.

The second reason is when I have found several occasions to disagree with a particular poster and they say something to which I can find some agreement and common ground. Which in this case I believe they have usually posted something more inspired to show common ground than I have.

The Traveler

I generally use the Thank button for two reasons:

• Somebody expressed something I was trying to say in a better/clearer way than I could.
  • A post taught me something new or deepened my understanding on a particular topic.

I suppose #1 happens when I agree with a person and #2 can happen when I don't agree with someone but learned something new about an opposing viewpoint anyway. #2 can also happen when I just plain learned something that I didn't know before, too (which happens often, considering I'm a Computer Science major in a religion forum :P).

EDIT: If I thank someone in a thread but don't post in it, it's because #1 happened and I lazily use it as an excuse not to post. ;)

Edited by LittleWyvern

I generally use the Thank button for two reasons:

• Somebody expressed something I was trying to say in a better/clearer way than I could.
  • A post taught me something new or deepened my understanding on a particular topic.

I suppose #1 happens when I agree with a person and #2 can happen when I don't agree with someone but learned something new about an opposing viewpoint anyway. #2 can also happen when I just plain learned something that I didn't know before, too (which happens often, considering I'm a Computer Science major in a religion forum :P).

EDIT: If I thank someone in a thread but don't post in it, it's because #1 happened and I lazily use it as an excuse not to post. ;)

Based on how many thanks you have given, not many people done either? :lol:

based on how many thanks I have given, I am impressed with anything? :lol::lol:

I use the thanks button for many things.

1) It acknowledges that I read the post... particularly if I'm in a drawn out back-and-forth discussion over several hours/days. (Me and JAG for instance.)

2) It's a friendly way to thank them for their thoughts without adding additional posts to say "I agree. Thanks." Or just to say "Thanks for your input".

3) Depending on the tone of the conversation, it shows that I respect their position... even if I might not agree with it.

4) I LIVE for the "Thanks" and "Laugh" buttons on this site. I like seeing and calculating my ratios to see how effective of a poster I am and how well I contribute. I try to give as well as receive in this area.

It's fun to overanalyze my stats.

I currently have 4,292 posts... of which, I've been thanked for 1,491. That's almost 35% of my posts are 'thanked'. Of those 'thanked' posts... I have 1.89 people thanking them. So almost 2 'thanks' per thanked posts. Not too bad.

Notice that I've thanked 1,850 posts myself. So I try to give them when I like various posts.

Then I look at my 'laughs'. I have 312 laughs out of 4,292 posts. That's about 7%. This tells me that I'm not that funny. But when I see that I have 762 times in 312 posts... that's 2.44 laughs per laughed posts. So, when I'm funny... I guess I'm funny! lol

I've also laughed 1502 times, so I guess I'm easily amused. :D

Edited by skippy740

I use the Thanks button in both situations. For me, if I think the individual makes a good case or even just an interesting comment, that gets a Thanks. Perhaps I use it more often than I should, but I like to think of the Button has a convenient way of acknowledgment.

I like seeing and calculating my ratios to see how effective of a poster I am and how well I contribute. I try to give as well as receive in this area.

I currently have 4,292 posts... of which, I've been thanked for 1,491. That's almost 35% of my posts are 'thanked'. Of those 'thanked' posts... I have 1.89 people thanking them. So almost 2 'thanks' per thanked posts. Not too bad.

Notice that I've thanked 1,850 posts myself. So I try to give them when I like various posts.

Then I look at my 'laughs'. I have 312 laughs out of 4,292 posts. That's about 7%. This tells me that I'm not that funny. But when I see that I have 762 times in 312 posts... that's 2.44 laughs per laughed posts. So, when I'm funny... I guess I'm funny! lol

I've also laughed 1502 times, so I guess I'm easily amused. :D

Dude, are you related to MOE? :mellow:

But hey, I want one of those analysis for myself. Geez, I feel like I am sinning...sounds like a palm reading session or something. :mellow:

Dude, are you related to MOE? :mellow:

But hey, I want one of those analysis for myself. Geez, I feel like I am sinning...sounds like a palm reading session or something. :mellow:

Okay.

Out of 2,206 posts, you have been thanked for 729 of them... or 33%.

You have 1,238 'thanks' for your 729 thanked posts... or 1.7 thanks per thanked post.

You're laughed posts are 137 out of 2,206 posts... or 6%.

You have 244 laughs for your 137 laughed posts... or 1.78 laughs per laughed post.

You thank other posts often with 1,426... but you don't seem to laugh as much with only 304 laughs given. :)

Now I'll let you determine what that means for you. :D

One must also keep in mind when they are trying to calculate their likes and laughs that these features have not always been available. They started about 4-5 years ago. So if you joined before that you weren't receiving laughs or likes so you calculations will not be accurate. Like me who started in wayyyyyy before that.

*edit* Found it. It started late 2008.

http://www.lds.net/forums/how-do-i-questions-forum/15592-how-view-your-thanks-thanked-posts.html

Edited by pam

I use the "Thanks" button for a number of reasons:

1) I agree with the post

2) The post is thought provoking, or possibly something I haven't pondered

3) I may not agree, but I appreciate the discussion

4) If I am the OP an appreciation for a person's willingness to respond

including but not limited to; if I agree, if they have good explanation, or if they have someway made a positive improvement to my day in some way or another.