to go or not to go

debi56

My daughter is 16 and struggling with whether to go on a mission or not. This made me think of something I had heard somewhere before. Tell me if I am correct or not; is everyone meant to go on missions? Mainly in regards to females.

Thanks,

Debi:)

Full time missionary service is generally regarded as part of the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood. It is 'mandatory' and 'expected' for all worthy young men to serve.

No such expectation is required of young sisters. However, with the new lowering of the age requirements, certainly more are choosing to serve.

Personally, I think there will be a slight change in LDS culture where male RMs will be looking to date sister RMs in the next few years. But that is my own personal opinion.

But no, sisters are not under a commandment or covenant to serve.

Hope this helps?

16 is too early to start stressing over that. She should be saving money for the future, if she has the opportunity to work. It's a good money habit to create now no matter what she decides. Focus on high school and building a testimony, both she should be doing now no matter if she goes on a mission. When she gets closer to mission age the lord will tell her what to do. Prepare and keep the options open.

The lord doesn't always tell us what is ahead of us for next yr, or next week, or even tomorrow. He gives us commandments that will keep us prepared to follow anything that comes at the drop of a hat. Help her discover what those are, build those habits, be prepared. Learning to be prepared and then following the lord at the time he tells you what/where to go is a vital lifelong tool. Focus on learning how to do that.

My daughter is 16 and struggling with whether to go on a mission or not. This made me think of something I had heard somewhere before. Tell me if I am correct or not; is everyone meant to go on missions? Mainly in regards to females.

Thanks,

Debi:)

It's mandatory for males. however that being said a mission is a great experience to have, if she has desires to love and serve the people, and share the gospel, there are few better ways of doing so.

One thing I'm concerned about is that now that more women are going since the age has been lowered, that there will be more peer pressure on women to go. I think girls are more susceptible to that kind of thing so there might be lots of girls going who really don't want to but feel they have to go to be "worthy" of an RM for a husband, or that they are selfish or lacking in faith if they don't go.

I was 23, unmarried with no immediate prospects for marriage and since I had many friends who had gone on a mission, I kinda went cause it was the thing to do. I loved the gospel but I think I would have been just fine if I hadn't have gone. I did love many things about my mission but I still harbor a feeling of frustration that I gave into pressure and maybe didn't go for the complete right reason. Perhaps I wasn't as effective as I could have been if I had made that decision on my own without my bishop telling me to go and if I hadn't have had many friends who had gone.

Girls really really need to make sure they are going for the right reasons. They need to be 100% committed to the work ( and it is WORK) and not be going to be "seen of men", to feel like they measure up or to make them look more righteous than they are or than they feel.

Personally, I feel that having a daughter wondering if she is supposed to go or not at the age of 16 is a little bit too young. I think it's different for men, as they should be preparing for a Mission from the time that they are little and working and saving. Plus, if many men don't decide to serve a Mission from a young age, they usually don't end up going. This doesn't seem to be the case for women.

If your daughter turns 19 years old and decides that she would like to serve, then absolutely. I would support her in every way possible and would encourage her to go. But if she doesn't serve, nobody will look down on her. Pressure to serve a Mission isn't placed on women as it is with men, as it is part of their Priesthood duty.

But for now, let her enjoy High School. She can think about it later. Just my personal opinion.

My opinion, let her think about it. Do we not teach all children from Primary that we hope "they call me on a mission" ?

Now if the struggle mentioned is causing issues of feeling obligated to go, then I do share the feeling of not stressing about it. However, I will continue to instill in my 9 year old daughter to be ready and worthy to serve so when the time of decision arrives, it is not the first time she has thought about it. I think that the meer fact that our young women think about it, will help keep them striving for the right path.

Regarding the several posts above; Serving a full-time mission is not mandatory for males or females

It is however a goal that any member of the church should strive towards whether they end up serving or not.

Edited by ditd

Everyone has given some great answers. She isn't stressing, she just wanted to know if it is a requirement. I told her I didn't think so but I needed to find out. She is almost 17 and enjoying life, but I know she wants to do what the Lord wants her to do. :)

Thanks again,

Debi