Weird question but.. Does anyone know how the oriental people came to be?

Bananikka

We've been taught how Cain and Hams seed were darkened. And laman and Lemuel's as well. But I have Always been baffled as to how the oriental race began. I mean I realize we are all different, but it seems they are so distinct that perhaps something happened at one time to make another separation between the people? Sort of like when the languages were confounded at the Tower of Babel or when the lands were separated after Noah (I think that's right...). He wanted the children to scatter and multiply.. Anyway, I've always been curious about this.. Could the scripture we haven't been given yet reveal this? Any ideas? Thanks for listening guys! :)

That question belongs to science, not to religion.

We don’t know anything about the original ethnical appearance of Adam and Eve. We know they where genetically perfect, which permitted the birth of the humankind out of only two person… to try this today it would be disastrous – also today nobody is able to life until 900 years old =’).

Anyway, they transmitted all the richness of their perfect genome to their children which went to live in many different places in the world and made different cultures. In any culture there is many circumstances that slowly changes the global appearances of these people, like nature does with animals. For example, two birds from the same species may have a different size of beak according to the kind of food they have in their habitat. The same think occurs to humans. Black skin for example is not a mutation; it is a part of the humanity genome, the same genome is also in every Nordic people, but does not apply, or apply less intensively for oriental and Mediterranean people for example.

My opinion is that Adam and eve had coppery skin and they looked like nothing existing today. But they also could be oriental looking.

In conclusion of my post, oriental people began exactly like every other people, by slowly changing their global appearance through diverse cultural and environmental singularities.

God made man out of gingerbread. He put a batch in the oven but he was too excited to create the first man that he took man out of the oven too early. They were too pale. He gave them the breath of life and sent them to the European continent.

God then made another batch and accounting for the paleness of the first batch, he kept them in the oven a little longer. They came out too dark. He gave them the breath of life and sent them to the African continent.

God then made another batch and accounting for the paleness of the first batch and the darkness of the second batch he left them in the oven at just the right time. He pulled them out of the oven, gave them the breath of life and sent them all to the Philippines. He exclaimed that all is good and he rested the next day.

Just kidding...

Guest SmilesheHas

That question belongs to science, not to religion.

Indeed a lot of questions can be answered by science, if you would only look... before talking.

We don’t know anything about the original ethnical appearance of Adam and Eve. We know they where genetically perfect, which permitted the birth of the humankind out of only two person… to try this today it would be disastrous – also today nobody is able to life until 900 years old =’).

Since we are talking about a scientifically verifiable phenomenon, a mutation, can I ask that you provide a source of what you are saying? A non biased, independent, preferably scientific one.

Anyway, they transmitted all the richness of their perfect genome to their children which went to live in many different places in the world and made different cultures. In any culture there is many circumstances that slowly changes the global appearances of these people, like nature does with animals. For example, two birds from the same species may have a different size of beak according to the kind of food they have in their habitat. The same think occurs to humans. Black skin for example is not a mutation; it is a part of the humanity genome, the same genome is also in every Nordic people, but does not apply, or apply less intensively for oriental and Mediterranean people for example.

Skin pigmentation has been thouroughly researched, and I'm not just saying this I have a research paper which a team of dedicated scientists have worked on for many years and provide and explain it in great detail. Skin pigmentation is probably one of the best examples of natural selection acting on a human trait. It is the product of two opposing clines, one emphasizing dark constitutive pigmentation and photoprotection against high loads of UVA and UVB near the equator, and the other favoring light constitutive pigmentation to promote seasonal, UVB-induced photosynthesis of vitamin D3 near the poles. Source (scroll down you'll find a complete list) I was taught in school to show my sources, research many many different sources that show the same argument to make my case... maybe I just went to a different school.

Please elaborate. Why would this question be solely scientific?

Ok. Because the reason why there is many different ethnic is not a matter of doctrine, except for one exception. As I said in my reply: theses ethnics began because of material causes, like radiation, people’s culture... natural selection. Why some people decide to immigrated in some part of the world doesn’t have to have a religious explanation… this is just how human works, it colonized and adapt itself to every environments.

Religion is about ordinances, scriptures, revelations and relationship with God, not about biologic evolution.

@Smilehehas: I don’t get what you want… sources? When I talk about Adam it is only supposition and opinion. But the central and biggest part of my reply could find his source from the one you just gave me.

Ok. Because the reason why there is many different ethnic is not a matter of doctrine, except for one exception. As I said in my reply: theses ethnics began because of material causes, like radiation, people’s culture... natural selection. Why some people decide to immigrated in some part of the world doesn’t have to have a religious explanation… this is just how human works, it colonized and adapt itself to every environments. Religion is about ordinances, scriptures, revelations and relationship with God, not about biologic evolution.

Ok, it appears you are correlating doctrine with "religious explanations." Religion is actually much more than just scriptures, ordinances, revelations, and relationships with God.

Religion is also about our origin, who we are, how man came to be, thus biological evolution would actually be apart of religion. Religion is about seeking truth in all forms.

God is able to reveal the origin of man just as he is able to reveal any other truth. Nothing is beyond the scope of revelation and God's will.

Thank you for elaborating your response.

I think therein lies the danger of closely associating scripture with science.

Maybe some things from the Bible are not meant to be taken literally OR at least not literally as *sole* source. Oftentimes what can be explained by science is complemented by scripture -- but not always. It usually takes multiple sources to explain complex concepts (just look at the additions of scripture in Mormonism, with the Book of Mormon and D&C -- not until you get all of them do you get the fullness of the Gospel -- science works in the same way, multiple sources).

I personally follow the evolutionary line of thinking for these things.

And YES can I please reiterate that it's Asian, not oriental. I'm actually surprised more people didn't correct that.

I think therein lies the danger of closely associating scripture with science.

Maybe some things from the Bible are not meant to be taken literally OR at least not literally as *sole* source. Oftentimes what can be explained by science is complemented by scripture -- but not always. It usually takes multiple sources to explain complex concepts (just look at the additions of scripture in Mormonism, with the Book of Mormon and D&C -- not until you get all of them do you get the fullness of the Gospel -- science works in the same way, multiple sources).

I personally follow the evolutionary line of thinking for these things.

And YES can I please reiterate that it's Asian, not oriental. I'm actually surprised more people didn't correct that.

With all due respect, I did not mean to say Asian at all. People are Asian because they come from Asia. That wasn't what I was asking. And maybe more people didn't jump to try to correct me because trying to help me felt more important than trying to correct me.

I'm Asian and it's actually acceptable to use the term "Oriental" when describing someone that is a native or inhabitant of the Orient.

That's contrary to anything I've been taught or what I've heard from anyone else, including my Asian friends (one of whom is Filipino), who would probably smack me if I called them oriental.

We've been taught how Cain and Hams seed were darkened. And laman and Lemuel's as well. But I have Always been baffled as to how the oriental race began. I mean I realize we are all different, but it seems they are so distinct that perhaps something happened at one time to make another separation between the people? Sort of like when the languages were confounded at the Tower of Babel or when the lands were separated after Noah (I think that's right...). He wanted the children to scatter and multiply.. Anyway, I've always been curious about this.. Could the scripture we haven't been given yet reveal this? Any ideas? Thanks for listening guys! :)

I would make reference to Genesis chapter 10 verses 1-5. This scripture is talking about the sons of Noah and their inheritance. I believe this scripture is also prophetic. What I have referenced is particular to Noah's son Japheth. Verse 5 is of particular interest because this is the first time the term "Gentiles" is used in scripture and thus it is believed that this term generally applies to the descendents of Japheth (both by literal heritage and divine calling. The second reason is because of the reference to the Isles of the Gentiles. Many interpert this to mean lands far away generally requiring sea travel. Thus it is believed that the lands of Japheth was the Asia area or Continent.

I believe it would be too long a post to go into all the details of why I believe it to be so - but I believe the Asian people to be the general understanding of the Gentiles as used in scripture (their role promise and blessing) of the last days. I believe that many of us will live to see the day when most members (LDS) will be Asian and fulfill the prophesies concerning the Gentiles of the last days.

The Traveler

That's contrary to anything I've been taught or what I've heard from anyone else, including my Asian friends (one of whom is Filipino), who would probably smack me if I called them oriental.

Let's just chalk it up to different strokes for different folks but it is commonly used overseas in southeast Asia.