Book Collecting

arod31

I have recently come to the realization that I am a book collector and did not even know it. I have decided to somewhat specify my collection in to two categories. The first being Books of Mormon, I want to try to get one from each printing and editions. For example I was just able to purchase a BoM that is from 1975 paperback and its blue with the angle Moroni on the cover. My next book of Mormon that I want to get for my collection is the Blue hard back with the angle Moroni on the cover. Now the second set of categories will deal with church doctrine and history.

Well that is a lot of rant to just ask if there are any other members that fancy themselves as book collectors or have not taken a look at their books and just realize that “hey I guess I do have a collection of books”. Well if you do, what type of books do you all collect? I was wondering if we could form a group of book collectors to share our experiences and knowledge on the subject of book collecting.

Guest Doctrine

I mostly collect scripture commentarys and doctrinal books.

My most prized books that the missionary's like to look at are my 1st edition of mormon doctrine and my temple lot version of the Book of Mormon.

Edited by Doctrine

I think amazon is the best place to find books since they also have private sellers who list with them. I used to buy from half.com but haven't for a long time.

We collect any series we love. Luckily hubby and I and our DD who is of age all love fantasy and tend to like the same books. Of course we have a beautiful set of the LORT trilogy. We also have everything written by Shannon Hale, whose books we adore, and many by Brandon Mull.

I found most of my lds books at d.i. And the ones I could not find there i bought at the local church book store.

I have currently used Amazon and eBay to find some books. I’m out of Utah so I don’t think that my local ward has a book shop, but I will find out.

I read a vast array of books. There are a few authors I will not read, but pretty much anything goes.

After my separation from 1st hubby I lucked onto a great sale at Staples and at the St. Vincent's in purchasing book cases. The house I was living in had two living rooms - I used the smaller one as my *working* room. My computer, my electric organ (which I didn't have a clue how to play), my sewing machine (which I do know how to *play*) and all of the book cases. Lined up like in a library. Back to back in the middle of the room.

Plus I had bookcases in the main living room - All of the books I had read, and had to put into boxes in my closets, now had a real home.

Three years later when I married husband #2, I packed up all of the books (paper backs and hard backs) into 24 boxes. The paper backs into bankers boxes, the hard backs into apple, orange, etc. boxes w/lids. When I unpacked in hubby's home in a different state - 2/3 of my books didn't make it into the U-Haul.

In the new state I bought books from the thrift stores and new books from the retail stores. Even bought through Amazon.com. 2nd Hubby's home was 1/3 the size of the one I left - so alas, my books remained in boxes. My new books are stored in plastic totes w/ lids and no access for bugs. Scorpions, gecko's and spiders LOVE to live in & amongst books. 24 of the 25 gallon totes.

6 years later we move back to my old town. I buy bookcases again, so my books have a home. BUT even though this house is 3x bigger - there are way more windows taking up the wall space. I have the books displayed - and I realized that I just couldn't buy anymore books. So Hubby gave me a Kindle for my birthday.

When I see a book that interests me at the store, I make note of it, then buy it via Amazon. I have over 280 books on my Kindle that I have yet to read, and I have no idea how many are archived.

I have room for two more tall bookshelves in my living room - I know that I will never stop buying printed books - turn me loose in the St. Vincent DePaul south of here, and I could easily end up buying 10 or 50 books. They have THE best selection of used books for the best price. Hard backs are $1.00, paper backs are $0.25. Very used paper backs are 3 for $0.25.

I’m currently deployed but back at my home station I have not been able to find a used book shop. And if I did I don’t think that I would find any Mormon based books, considering I live outside of Utah. I have been thinking of getting a BoM in every language of every country that I have been assigned to.

I have lived in Oregon, Arizona, and Washington state, and I found LDS books (by LDS authors &/or published by TCOJCOLDS) at St. Vincent DePaul & Savers.

Rather than look just for a *Book* store, either used or new or both, look for Thrift Stores. Also get your self a library card, register on-line with your library and when they have book sales - go to them.

Savers aka Value Village, Salvation Army, St. Vincent DePaul, etc. , and I have found some true gems at the local Humane Societies thrift stores.

I’m currently deployed but back at my home station I have not been able to find a used book shop. And if I did I don’t think that I would find any Mormon based books, considering I live outside of Utah. I have been thinking of getting a BoM in every language of every country that I have been assigned to.

Believe you can do that via the internet at The Book of Mormon - store.lds.org

Guest Doctrine

What books are you guys looking for, I feel if your making a gospel library, make sure you add the institute books, you can't go wrong. Also a few bible dictionary's would help.

I'm a book collector (avid reader). I've lost many boxes of books to a flood (that I was storing at my parents house in the basement) when I went away for some schooling. I am back to collecting, years later, and have found many many ebooks.

So sorry to hear that. I am told that unfortunately that is the way many books end up. For example I saved my quad from a house hold that was going to throw it out because it had water damage, and let me tell you that I love this quad and I use it every day.

I have just purchased Mormon Doctrine. I don’t know what edition or print yet, got it from amazon. I will definitely let you all know when it gets out here. It will likely take 2 to 3 weeks to get out here to Kosovo were I’m deployed to. But in the end it does not matter much to me what edition or printing it is, I was told that that is a really good book on Mormon doctrine to have to be able to study. Any comments on the book Mormon Doctrine?

What books are you guys looking for, I feel if your making a gospel library, make sure you add the institute books, you can't go wrong. Also a few bible dictionary's would help.

I have some bible dictionaries but they are not from the Church. I have had these from my days before membership. I studied theology and was a ordained preacher before joining the LDS Church.

Guest Doctrine

I have some bible dictionaries but they are not from the Church. I have had these from my days before membership. I studied theology and was a ordained preacher before joining the LDS Church.

You and I are very much the same, do you like pizza and hot wings, if so you might be my twin. :lol:

Guest Doctrine

I only eat wings like every time the wife and I order from papa johns and dominos. Oh yeah and every other week when I’m not deployed.:D

Brother!!!! :bearhug:

Guest Doctrine

Also I love mormon doctrine I have both the first and second editions, Bruce r mcconkie is one of my favorite writers on the lds doctrines. I have many of his books in my collection,

I just purchased Mormon Doctrine, but I’m not sure what edition or printing. I am working on a curve having to do all my purchases on the net and not being able to actually look at the books. And when the books get here “Kosovo” I will be able to tell, but that will take anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks. I did just purchase one of the gold foiled Book of Mormons, but I am trying to find more information on that edition of the BoM. On another note I can’t wait to get back home to the states to my Wife, Son and Ward.

I only eat wings like every time the wife and I order from papa johns and dominos. Oh yeah and every other week when I’m not deployed.:D

Sounds like me. Ordering pizza meant ordering wings for me. I'd much rather have the wings. :)